What COULD it be about files vs CDs that many find CD transports more "Real" than digital transport?

caesar

May 30, 2010
So many people prefer to play digital via a physical CD and the good, old CD transport vs. a digital file. What could it be about the CD vs. digital file or CD transport vs. digital transport that people find the old way of doing it more palpable , more "real"?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I don't have much input here as I am about 99% physical media.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
So many people prefer to play digital via a physical CD and the good, old CD transport vs. a digital file. What could it be about the CD vs. digital file or CD transport vs. digital transport that people find the old way of doing it more palpable , more "real"?

One word: Noise

I used to believe a CDP was better, but I believe files off a decent server can be as good, even better than spinning the silver discs. But there are some amazing CDPs out there, so not as clear as it may seem. USB IMO has partly ruined the servers chances. But, think about it, why would a laser picking up data off a spinning mechanical device sound better than a 'perfect' copy of the original file from the studio (both as RedBook) off a static SSD?

But then, why does vinyl sound 'better'? Go figure.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

Dunno. I don't accept the premise.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Dunno. I don't accept the premise.

Hi Kal, I understand it's a controversial subject, but I wonder if you would hold the same opinion if you compared your Baetis server vs. a top of the line Esoteric transport.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The answer is complex I feel but I can try to quantify a few points
One is a cd transport is optimized for cds and in doing so has a sound quality that is voiced for us. No matter what some feel there is nothing absolute in digital. It's all made up from many bits and pcs put back together.
A SHM sacd is not better just because of the remix and mastering
It's also better from the media that is used in making it.
Rip it and the 1/0 are the same but sound different based on the many variables used to process it.
There is no final voicing of end sound . Just what we pick
Having a CD player that I do in my umt plus gives me a slightly different view. If I kept using just it my taste would be skewed to it I suppose. I rarly play Any discs. But for those who do I'll bet they would prefer it to a server. That I mostly use.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

IMHO you are omitting the most important part - people prefer a matching CD transport, sometimes dedicated to the DAC. IMHO it is not a question of generic transport versus server, but an optimized player + DAC system versus file server. Again IMHO what makes it a winner is that in a CD transport based system the whole set is a controlled match, something that very seldom happens in servers. We have however examples of it, such as the Trinity server /DAC or the Lampizator server.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Hi Kal, I understand it's a controversial subject, but I wonder if you would hold the same opinion if you compared your Baetis server vs. a top of the line Esoteric transport.

Dunno but I do not know if any Esoteric transport will output multichannel in an accessible format. Do you?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I switched to a good server when we did a blind comparison of it vs a dCS transport (and the rest of the dCS chain - clock, upsampler and DAC). Guessed the transport 100% of the time.

My theory: the physical media (coupled with the transport) is the weak link in the digital chain.

Using one of the better programs for copying CD's to your computer insures that it is a bit-for-bit copy. We also used an extremely high quality 24/96 A to D converter on analog (turntable) input and, blind, could not tell the difference.

Just sayin' !

caesar

May 30, 2010
I switched to a good server when we did a blind comparison of it vs a dCS transport (and the rest of the dCS chain - clock, upsampler and DAC). Guessed the transport 100% of the time.

My theory: the physical media (coupled with the transport) is the weak link in the digital chain.

Using one of the better programs for copying CD's to your computer insures that it is a bit-for-bit copy. We also used an extremely high quality 24/96 A to D converter on analog (turntable) input and, blind, could not tell the difference.

Just sayin' !

Hi Audioguy, considering that you were able to guess the CD transport 100 per cent of the time opens the possibility that some may have a different preference than you and actually prefer the sound of that transport to the digital server.

caesar

May 30, 2010
IMHO you are omitting the most important part - people prefer a matching CD transport, sometimes dedicated to the DAC. IMHO it is not a question of generic transport versus server, but an optimized player + DAC system versus file server. Again IMHO what makes it a winner is that in a CD transport based system the whole set is a controlled match, something that very seldom happens in servers. We have however examples of it, such as the Trinity server /DAC or the Lampizator server.

I am all for synergy, and agree with you that those who are lucky enough to have synergistic components in their system do get better sound. Yet if someone is a CD transport guy, he will be happy running a top of the line Esoteric in his Vivaldi system rather than a digital server (if he can't get the Vivaldi CD transport).

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Hi Audioguy, considering that you were able to guess the CD transport 100 per cent of the time opens the possibility that some may have a different preference than you and actually prefer the sound of that transport to the digital server.

Most anything is possible. But for the two of us who participated, the benefits of the server were abundantly clear. All of the things that most audiophiles cherish (space between notes, silence where there should be silence, soundstage size, attack, etc) were clearly on the side of the server. The guy who owned the transport (and who participated) was more than a bit chagrined in that the cost difference between the server and transport was huge!!

All that notwithstanding, most certainly others could have preferred the transport. That is why there is more than one amplifier manufacturer, speaker manufacturer, etc.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Can you give us more details - models used and system used in the test? I find impressive that you got the transport every time. Although in the long term I prefer the transport, I am not able to separate them blind with 100% success in listening tests.

It would be nice to know the methodology you used for the tests.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
One word: Noise

I used to believe a CDP was better, but I believe files off a decent server can be as good, even better than spinning the silver discs. But there are some amazing CDPs out there, so not as clear as it may seem. USB IMO has partly ruined the servers chances. But, think about it, why would a laser picking up data off a spinning mechanical device sound better than a 'perfect' copy of the original file from the studio (both as RedBook) off a static SSD?

But then, why does vinyl sound 'better'? Go figure.

X2 agree except the premise that vinyl sounds better. Sounds better at what source price point? I still believe (reinforced via my experiences) that $ for $ digital yields superior sonics vs. analog. Probably levels out ~$20K, but digital continues to improve $ for $ as technology costs drop and designers further optimize which is in its infancy vs. analog.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
No absolution in one over the other but I think a well made server is more versatile and can be used on any dac
The transport lovers like to hold the media like vinyl and I do feel the overall connection to there dac as Ina stack.
Msb , Vivaldi and the rest top stuff with pride of ownership sprinkleled on top.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing