Thread: STS Thorens (Greg Meltz)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries

STS Thorens (Greg Meltz)

Anyone who heard Greg's restored 124s?

http://www.classicthorens.com/
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

I read that Thorens are restored by Simone Lucchetti for them and them resell.

Simone Lucchetti live in Rome and has one company,you can see www.audiosilente.com,where restored Thorens,Garrard,Lenco L,and produce a turntable and an arm the seems very good.
    Also sell some accessories like Graphite,screw,part of arm Sme and Fidelity R,ecc,ecc

In Italy some send Thorens to him to restored

Blog Entries
    Interesting, have you heard Simon's?
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

I knew him in Munich because was in the stand with his turntable together with VTL and Italian speaker Albedo and i had dinner with him,Luke Manley and Italian distributor.

Italian people say Simone is competent and honest,but i did nothing with him.

I have one, refurbished by Greg, who does the refurbishing himself. I believe he may source some parts from Audio Silente. Greg does fine work, he is a craftsman!

Name:  IMG_8032.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  384.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Nice. What cart is that, and how did it compare to other TTs you had?

Also, did you try other arms?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Uk Paul's Avatar
    It's a Dynavector 17D2 or 3 Ked, very short solid Diamond canti..
    Z:Axis Audio

Balanced Power ~ 'Symetrica' by Z:Axis Audio TT Sony TTS 8000 / SAEC WE-506/30 / Nasotec Swing / Aidas PanzerHolz-Diamond, Allnic H3000 Phono /KR Audio 'Lampi Anniv 5U4G CD Ayon CD transport / Concert Fidelity DAC 040B/D /Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 Pre / ZL200 Amplifiers / Martin Logan Spire - Extensively modified. Cabling is by Z-Axis Audio, Reference mains leads, 'Reference B52' interconnects, 'Livewire' speaker cables. Mirage equipment support.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Nice. What cart is that, and how did it compare to other TTs you had?

Also, did you try other arms?
    Cartridge at the time of photo was Dynavector 17D2 as noted. Now it has a Denon DL-103R. The TD124 is certainly in the same class as my Garrard 301s and 401, but difficult to directly compare due to cartridge, arm and plinth differences.

So far I have not tried other arms. I have an Ortofon RS-212D and a spare armboard so I will probably try that next. I am not keen on the look of the armboard extending out beyond the plinth so will avoid another 12" arm ... the reason why the Kuzma was suitable was that it got around that problem, as well as being a very fine tonearm of course.