Great turntables are a wasted resource without isolation.

theophile

I have spent years on my diy isolation effort. Even though it remains a work in progress, the current results confirm to me that at least for suspension-less turntables, isolation must be in place or the turntable/arm/cartridge phono stage combination of choice will be utterly compromised. The upside is that if one already has a superlative combination of the above, the improvement wrought by the isolation will be cumulative. All the parts benefit from the better operating environment for the turntable. Below a relative level of performance it would be much better to upgrade a component part of the combination, but I feel that especially if the turntable itself is very,very good, and the rest of the combination is respectable, it will be worthwhile taking the plunge.

I don't want to suggest any particular approach. Nor will I even discuss my approach(only because I regard it as successful but too finicky to recommend). What's Best is one of the best sites anywhere on the internet for rational, non-argumentative discussion of this topic. If one wishes to dig further there are other sites where one can consider different approaches. I recommend investigation into the subject.

I am utterly, comprehensively convinced by turntable isolation and I feel that other components would similarly benefit. I regard the adoption of a proper isolation solution for a turntable as a noise reduction, resolution maximising strategy. Because the analogue front-end occupies the crucial Source position for those who utilise the same, the entire system takes a leap forward commensurate with the ultimate ability of the component parts of the turntable/arm/cartridge/phono stage

Last edited:
Reactions: mulveling

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
even suspension TT's can benefit big time as long as the suspended design is sitting on a solid plate that then resides on an active or passive isolation platform device.

theophile

even suspension TT's can benefit big time as long as the suspended design is sitting on a solid plate that then resides on an active or passive isolation platform device.

I have seen testimony to that effect concerning some high end suspended turntables, more than once.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No argument from me.
When I get my cart optimised and new phono psu, tt and phono going on Stacore Adv pneumatic/CLD passive isoln platform.
18 months w'out vinyl, I just can't wait!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have spent years on my diy isolation effort. Even though it remains a work in progress, the current results confirm to me that at least for suspension-less turntables, isolation must be in place or the turntable/arm/cartridge phono stage combination of choice will be utterly compromised. The upside is that if one already has a superlative combination of the above, the improvement wrought by the isolation will be cumulative. All the parts benefit from the better operating environment for the turntable. Below a relative level of performance it would be much better to upgrade a component part of the combination, but I feel that especially if the turntable itself is very,very good, and the rest of the combination is respectable, it will be worthwhile taking the plunge.

I don't want to suggest any particular approach. Nor will I even discuss my approach(only because I regard it as successful but too finicky to recommend). What's Best is one of the best sites anywhere on the internet for rational, non-argumentative discussion of this topic. If one wishes to dig further there are other sites where one can consider different approaches. I recommend investigation into the subject.

I am utterly, comprehensively convinced by turntable isolation and I feel that other components would similarly benefit. I regard the adoption of a proper isolation solution for a turntable as a noise reduction, resolution maximising strategy. Because the analogue front-end occupies the crucial Source position for those who utilise the same, the entire system takes a leap forward commensurate with the ultimate ability of the component parts of the turntable/arm/cartridge/phono stage

Of course. You are exactly correct. And there's no real debate or reason for discussion about the truth value of the points you make.

I'm looking to improve isolation/vibration control for my turntable.

So let's move the ball forward...

What are the top three turntable isolation devices, systems, methods, etc that you recommend, that you would buy or own? Anybody ... and thanks for starting this topic, Theo.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have seen testimony to that effect concerning some high end suspended turntables, more than once.

It can be a double edged sword. Whether you do the cutting or it's you being cut just depends on the level of adjustability of the table itself and your own effort to match the suspension with the vibration mitigation device. That's my experience with the AF1 on CMS filters at least. It's not plop and play as it would be on a non suspenpended table. It's just one more variable.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It can be a double edged sword. Whether you do the cutting or it's you being cut just depends on the level of adjustability of the table itself and your own effort to match the suspension with the vibration mitigation device. That's my experience with the AF1 on CMS filters at least. It's not plop and play as it would be on a non suspenpended table. It's just one more variable.

Maybe the ELP Jack otherwise plop & play doesn't exit with high end players :)!

david

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
forget about a passive/active suspension. Put the damn thing in another (preferably decoupled) room!! :cool:

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl

It is indeed so from our experience. The most mysterious is a positive response of SS gear to a proper vibration control.
From the source part, CD transports turn out to be at least as beneficial as TT's and this is also quite surprising
given the advanced hard- and software error correction mechanisms employed. In all the cases it is like you describe:
lower noise, higher resolution at the bottom with a whole bouquet of implications.

Cheers,

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Maybe the ELP Jack otherwise plop & play doesn't exit with high end players :)!

david

's a figure of speech ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
forget about a passive/active suspension. Put the damn thing in another (preferably decoupled) room!! :cool:

Excellent solution except for the first few seconds of the first track LOL

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have a better solution
Remove the listener from the listening room

jperry

Aug 10, 2014
Of course. You are exactly correct. And there's no real debate or reason for discussion about the truth value of the points you make.

I'm looking to improve isolation/vibration control for my turntable.

So let's move the ball forward...

What are the top three turntable isolation devices, systems, methods, etc that you recommend, that you would buy or own? Anybody ... and thanks for starting this topic, Theo.

I use a Vibraplane, and if it worked in my budget I would have a Herzan or other active isolation platform.

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
I have an SME 10, SME V arm and Kiseki Blue NOS cart that sit atop a Symposium Segue platform which sits on top the plexi shelf on my Grand Prix Monaco stand which rests on two Symposium Ultra pads that sit on a cork floor over concrete. I hope I don't have to write that again! I have been experimenting with replacing the sorbothane feet.What I have found is that placing the table directly atop the Segue with no footer at all has the clearest sound.The metal feet are in direct contact with the metal top of the Symposium shelf.Every footer that I tried changed the sound. Letting the vibrations pass out and onto the Symposium seems to work better than letting the sorbothane feet absorb the vibrations,which dulled the sound.My take on turntable isolation is after you feel you've done enough to control isolation,don't forget about the primary contact of the table and the shelf.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing