Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great turntables are a wasted resource without isolation.

Great turntables are a wasted resource without isolation.

I have spent years on my diy isolation effort. Even though it remains a work in progress, the current results confirm to me that at least for suspension-less turntables, isolation must be in place or the turntable/arm/cartridge phono stage combination of choice will be utterly compromised. The upside is that if one already has a superlative combination of the above, the improvement wrought by the isolation will be cumulative. All the parts benefit from the better operating environment for the turntable. Below a relative level of performance it would be much better to upgrade a component part of the combination, but I feel that especially if the turntable itself is very,very good, and the rest of the combination is respectable, it will be worthwhile taking the plunge.

I don't want to suggest any particular approach. Nor will I even discuss my approach(only because I regard it as successful but too finicky to recommend). What's Best is one of the best sites anywhere on the internet for rational, non-argumentative discussion of this topic. If one wishes to dig further there are other sites where one can consider different approaches. I recommend investigation into the subject.

I am utterly, comprehensively convinced by turntable isolation and I feel that other components would similarly benefit. I regard the adoption of a proper isolation solution for a turntable as a noise reduction, resolution maximising strategy. Because the analogue front-end occupies the crucial Source position for those who utilise the same, the entire system takes a leap forward commensurate with the ultimate ability of the component parts of the turntable/arm/cartridge/phono stage
    Last edited by theophile; 08-15-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    Turntable/Arm - Yamaha GT 2000/Yamaha YSA-1
    Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice(Ebony)
    Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
    Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
    Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Mastering Monitors

Turntable support counts as another component. 21 Clearaudio Magix and more.

agreed, far more important than some overpriced cable ......
    Cheers - Dave

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    even suspension TT's can benefit big time as long as the suspended design is sitting on a solid plate that then resides on an active or passive isolation platform device.
    Christian

System Gear

Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    even suspension TT's can benefit big time as long as the suspended design is sitting on a solid plate that then resides on an active or passive isolation platform device.
    I have seen testimony to that effect concerning some high end suspended turntables, more than once.
    Turntable/Arm - Yamaha GT 2000/Yamaha YSA-1
    Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice(Ebony)
    Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
    Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
    Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Mastering Monitors

Turntable support counts as another component. 21 Clearaudio Magix and more.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    No argument from me.
    When I get my cart optimised and new phono psu, tt and phono going on Stacore Adv pneumatic/CLD passive isoln platform.
    18 months w'out vinyl, I just can't wait!

[Industry Expert] Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    I have spent years on my diy isolation effort. Even though it remains a work in progress, the current results confirm to me that at least for suspension-less turntables, isolation must be in place or the turntable/arm/cartridge phono stage combination of choice will be utterly compromised. The upside is that if one already has a superlative combination of the above, the improvement wrought by the isolation will be cumulative. All the parts benefit from the better operating environment for the turntable. Below a relative level of performance it would be much better to upgrade a component part of the combination, but I feel that especially if the turntable itself is very,very good, and the rest of the combination is respectable, it will be worthwhile taking the plunge.

I don't want to suggest any particular approach. Nor will I even discuss my approach(only because I regard it as successful but too finicky to recommend). What's Best is one of the best sites anywhere on the internet for rational, non-argumentative discussion of this topic. If one wishes to dig further there are other sites where one can consider different approaches. I recommend investigation into the subject.

I am utterly, comprehensively convinced by turntable isolation and I feel that other components would similarly benefit. I regard the adoption of a proper isolation solution for a turntable as a noise reduction, resolution maximising strategy. Because the analogue front-end occupies the crucial Source position for those who utilise the same, the entire system takes a leap forward commensurate with the ultimate ability of the component parts of the turntable/arm/cartridge/phono stage
    Of course. You are exactly correct. And there's no real debate or reason for discussion about the truth value of the points you make.

I'm looking to improve isolation/vibration control for my turntable.

So let's move the ball forward...

What are the top three turntable isolation devices, systems, methods, etc that you recommend, that you would buy or own? Anybody ... and thanks for starting this topic, Theo.
    See my Mahler thread here.

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    I have seen testimony to that effect concerning some high end suspended turntables, more than once.
    It can be a double edged sword. Whether you do the cutting or it's you being cut just depends on the level of adjustability of the table itself and your own effort to match the suspension with the vibration mitigation device. That's my experience with the AF1 on CMS filters at least. It's not plop and play as it would be on a non suspenpended table. It's just one more variable.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    It can be a double edged sword. Whether you do the cutting or it's you being cut just depends on the level of adjustability of the table itself and your own effort to match the suspension with the vibration mitigation device. That's my experience with the AF1 on CMS filters at least. It's not plop and play as it would be on a non suspenpended table. It's just one more variable.
    Maybe the ELP Jack otherwise plop & play doesn't exit with high end players !

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers,
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
    VENTA Air Washers & Humidifiers

Manufacture: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    forget about a passive/active suspension. Put the damn thing in another (preferably decoupled) room!!
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

It is indeed so from our experience. The most mysterious is a positive response of SS gear to a proper vibration control.
    From the source part, CD transports turn out to be at least as beneficial as TT's and this is also quite surprising
    given the advanced hard- and software error correction mechanisms employed. In all the cases it is like you describe:
    lower noise, higher resolution at the bottom with a whole bouquet of implications.

Cheers,
    Jarek Korbicz
    STACORE
    Manufacturer of Advanced
    Anti-vibration Solutions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast