Direct drive turntable under $20k - GPA Parabolica

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
In the discussion on the GPA Monaco 2.0 I read of interest in lower cost quality turntables from those outside the v2.0's price tag.

It's rather new so there is not yet much publicity for the Parabolica from GPA. It is a direct drive 'table that goes for $16k. It uses the motor from the v1.5 (no slotless motor) but it does have the same encoder ring used in the the v2.0. According to GPA, adding the ability for increased feedback (167k reads per second) into the controller computer so improved the design that GPA replaced their model v1.5 with the Parabolica. With peak deviation from 33-1/3 cited at less than 0.00025%.

So a $24k 'table gets replaced by a $16k table. The drive system controller is no longer an external box; it now integrates within the carbon fiber plinth. with touch controls on the plinth itself. Dimensions are the same as the v1.5. The GPA Apex footers are an option.

I have not heard this 'table yet. But I own a v1.5 and know the technology at use. That something better can be had at a lower cost with performance closer to the v2.0 makes it worth a look if you're interested in a direct drive turntable for under $20k.

Attachments

• gpa_parabolica_small.jpg
    gpa_parabolica_small.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:

theophile

The link works perfectly for me also. Kudos to the OP for constructing that Mahler thread.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Tima, the Parabolica is a direct replacement for the 1.5?
It replicates everything from the 1.5, and adds further refinement w the new encoder disc?
Structurally and mechanically, it's equivalent to the 1.5?
It wouldn't be the first time a model is superseded by a cheaper "impvd" model, only to find the new one is built down to the lower price point, despite superficially being more advanced.
Having heard the 1.5, being v impressed w it, and knowing one can find secondhand examples for a little less than Parabolica new rrp, I'd love to know the answer to my qs.
I'm actually not someone who scavenges for high end uber priced gear at 30 Cents on the Dollar, but if a superseded model can be had for just a little less than a new advanced model, my qs have added relevance, at least for me personally.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It replicates everything from the 1.5, and adds further refinement w the new encoder disc?
It wouldn't be the first time a model is superseded by a cheaper "impvd" model, only to find the new one is built down to the lower price point, despite superficially being more advanced.
Having heard the 1.5, being v impressed w it, and knowing one can find secondhand examples for a little less than Parabolica new rrp, I'd love to know the answer to my qs.
I'm actually not someone who scavenges for high end uber priced gear at 30 Cents on the Dollar, but if a superseded model can be had for just a little less than a new advanced model, my qs have added relevance, at least for me personally.

Spirit, I don't think it's built the same as a 1.5. Rather, the advancements Tima talks about are apparently superior vs the 1.5. I hear ya on the it's 9k less and better marketing speak however. I will say Alvin at Grand Prix Audio has never led me astray so I tend to value his option...

My dealer is also getting a Parabolica, so I'll to hear it also...I'm toying with selling my 1.0 and getting a brand new 2.0. Just waiting to hear the 2.0 first...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
John, I really like the 1.5 (didn't care much for the 1.0).
In the demo I heard w Class A amps, Cessaro Liszt horns, Triplanar arm and Dynavector cart, it really "spoke" to me, with a lovely combination of nimbleness and warmth.
And that was w it sitting on a decidedly non audiophile chest of draws! No kidding.
Second time I heard it in the same room w Mola Mola Class D and Illusonic DSP (to incl AD-DA stage), it lost its magic, but that was solely the fault of the system NOT the tt.
I prefer a bit more torque in my sound, hence my rim drive tt and predeliction to idler, and I'm sure the 2.0 will be great here (it gets up to speed in less than 2 revolutions, it's reported).
But if the Parabolica really bests the 1.5, then $16k seems v reasonable.
Certainly nothing at this price point in the "new" DD sector other than Artisan Fidelity SP10 rebuilds, and the Primary Control low/variable torque Kinea tt out of NL for €15k.
Another one I'd like to hear, probably on my Amsterdam trip to hear it, the PTP idler and as much wheat beer and secondhand vinyl stores as I can handle (I'll pass on the Red Light District this time LOL )
Please keep us posted on 1.5 v 2.0 v Parabolica comparisons. I'm very much of the opinion that certain engineering v SQ v price point "sweet spots" occur in all audio manufacturer ranges, often so much can be had in a second- or even third-down from top model, to make that one the one to own, Parabolica could be just that.
At that price, I'm interested.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why is Amsterdam known for second hand vinyl?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK

theophile

Why is Amsterdam known for second hand vinyl?

Wondering whether people sell their records in order to sample the wares in the 'coffee shops'.

Edit; I like Paul's answer better.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Everywhere in Europe was, back in the day.
I'm fearful a lot/most/all will have gone.
Better not, otherwise I might have to drown my sorrows w more beer
Anyhow, I can hardly go and listen to two really interesting tts (incl one with a €25k!!! field coil pwrd tonearm) and NOT buy any vinyl.
Fwiw, my analog hunting is now for original pressings/labels on EBay etc for all my fave staples, and raiding the vinyl shops in E Anglia for their cheaply priced classical.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
For me to prefer a download to vinyl will only happen if I'm out of my noggin on something VERY smooth and mind altering.
Don't be fooled by "the kids" re energising the vinyl mkt.
For most, it's just for pride of ownership, the cover artwork.
The music on the grooves? Not so much.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Everywhere in Europe was, back in the day.
I'm fearful a lot/most/all will have gone.
Better not, otherwise I might have to drown my sorrows w more beer
Anyhow, I can hardly go and listen to two really interesting tts (incl one with a €25k!!! field coil pwrd tonearm) and NOT buy any vinyl.
Fwiw, my analog hunting is now for original pressings/labels on EBay etc for all my fave staples, and raiding the vinyl shops in E Anglia for their cheaply priced classical.

Which is the 25k one?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Primary Control out of NL.
They're the ones who've made the 9" and 12" standard tonearms that P Reinders raves about for his Solid 9 & 12.
And they have this Field Coil pwrd arm at this eye watering price, right up there w Talea, SAT and Vertere Ref.
I don't think they expect to sell many.
Will have a chance to hear it and their more conventional arms in their Kinea DD tt when I visit.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm Peter, the Bardo.
That one hasn't maintained any love over time.
Is low torque, pretty dry and forward, all leading edge and nothing juicy.
Often mated with a lush cart.
It seems to me that to have a DD that doesn't generate torque seems a contradiction in terms.
It's motor is the cogging type, and prone to hunt and seek.
Just what I've gleaned from personal demos, reviews and user feedback over the last 5 years.
No for me I need to stick w high torque. My rim drive is really resistant to even strong manual pressure slowing the platter down, and if we're to believe the physics of groove modulation resistance, a lot is needed to stop platter slow down during orchestral crescendos, deep bass info, in those grooves.
That's why the Kodo Beat has always appealed, that platter doesn't stop for anything.
And in the idler world, well pretty much all tts are "take no prisoners", 301/401, L70, Saskia.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

My information on the Parabolica is limited and I have not used it or seen it. It was introduced at this past CES. I've seen it on the GPA Website and talked a little with Alvin Lloyd about it. The Parabolica replaces the 1.5 in the GPA line-up. I'm told GPA chose to do this because its sonic performance exceeded the 1.5.

It does not "replicate everything from the 1.5."

The dimensions and shape of the Parabolica plinth are the same as the 1.5. The clamping system is the same as the 1.5. Unlike the v1.5: The computer and drive electronics are inside the Parabolica. Controls are integrated with the plinth. If you see the blue light in the picture (above) that is a touch sensitive switch. The motor is sealed so the end-user is not required to add oil to the bearing at start-up and therefore there are no oil ports on the platter.

Like the 2.0 and unlike the 1.5, there is no speed adjustment. The Parabolica has an auto shut-off feature; if left running the 'table will turn off after 60 minutes. I *believe* the arm board is the basically same as used for the 1.5 and 2.0, but am not certain, however the way the arm board mounts to the platter is different. Unlike the 1.5 but like the 2.0, the platter must be stationary at start-up.

"It wouldn't be the first time a model is superseded by a cheaper "impvd" model, only to find the new one is built down to the lower price point, despite superficially being more advanced."

I'll take that as a comment about life in general, not an observation about the Parabolica.

I suggest checking out the GPA Web pages about the Parabolica and downloading its manual. GPA will respond to e-mails. I expect a review (not from me) but don't have a timetable.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Tima, it's refreshing to know the Parabolica is an impvt all round over the 1.5, at 1/3 cheaper price.
Can I ask one q? If there is no speed change control, how does one manually adjust? Or is everything absolutely automatic, ie the tt always gets it right w no operator input? The owner switches things on, chooses 33.333 or 45, and the GP always gets on w it?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing