Direct drive turntable under $20k - GPA Parabolica

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So how many of you, Marc aside, have based your decisions on torque?

Not I. I based my decision on prior experience with a lower model from the same manufacturer. Unfortunately, it was too difficult to audition turntables in my system prior to making the decision, so I winged it. I have heard a turntable known in my system which is known for its high torque: Technics SP10 Mk 3. I preferred my belt drive which actually had deeper, punchier, more accurate and natural low frequency performance. There are way too many variables involved with turntable design. Basing it on one attribute alone seems foolhardy.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro, stylus drag is the very reason I believe torque is so critical.
They're both interrelated, torque a solution to minimising stylus drag.

Stylus drag is a force, resulting from the friction between the surface of the LP and the stylus. Having a high torque is a way of minimizing its effect on LP speed. Since you are concerned with it, what I suggested is just minimizing it - it can vary significantly depending on cartridge.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) There are way too many variables involved with turntable design. Basing it on attribute alone seems foolhardy.

There is one attribute alone we should consider seriously - price. :) All else is too complex to be isolated.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Here's a great DD, but unfortunately over 20k ....30 K MSRP. PBN AUDIO VINTAGE DIRECT 308. It's a total redesign of a vintage DENON 308. I am more of a belt drive table enthusiast, however this unit compares with anything I have heard, and I have listened to a lot over the years. We now run this in one of our demo rooms , along with a very good belt drive from TRIANGLE ART.
Massively built from the ground up (150 pounds). You can rap on this thing with a record playing, and nothing.....total silence.
Unfortunately they are difficult to obtain on anything approaching a commercial level, as they require "donor" 308's , and they are becoming exceedingly difficult to obtain.
Cheers....
IMG_0060.JPG

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That is the most beautiful TT I have seen along with Artisan F's

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Are we talking direct drives strictly and without arm?

At well under 20k from my perspective would be hard to pass on the new Artisan Fidelity Technics Sp10R.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Are we talking direct drives strictly and without arm?

At well under 20k from my perspective would be hard to pass on the new Artisan Fidelity Technics Sp10R.

Don't know if you read the review, the SL-1000R is mentioned - I think it specs the same as the SP10R wrt W&F. Pretty significant difference in rotational accuracy, though that plinth looks nice.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing