"Best" Recording of Ludwig van Beethoven's “Für Elise” on Vinyl and Tape?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I rarely like piano solos but I love this one. I presently do not own this piano piece in vinyl or tape.

I appreciate that there likely is the usual tension between which recording of this piece sounds thd best audio-wise, and which is the best performance of this piece musically.

Please tell me your nominees which are great recordings as well as generally highly regarded performances. Alternatively, please tell simply which is your overall favourite recording of this piece on vinyl and tape.

Thank you!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The emperor on my link for recordings is excellent as well. I heard it first at ddk and you heard it in Holland when we did the TT compares. It is excellent. Of course if you want originals ask Larry. Why Fur Elise only.

The best I have ever heard a system perform is the with B's 9th, by Solti, at Mike's (which was already performing way above everything). Ken McCarty on audiogon has many different recordings of this and recommended the Mo Fi though haven't heard.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We just happen to really like that piece. Thank you, bonzo!

I am sure Peter A, when he finishes the sailing season, will have recordings to suggest!

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Ron, I did a quick check of "Beethoven - Fur Elise" on DISCOGS. I found two LPs right away that should be excellent both in performance and quality. Alfred Brendel is one of the best pianists ever and a noted Beethoven interpreter. Fur Elise appears on a Phillips LP that should sound excellent. Also, noted Beethoven interpreter Wilhelm Kempf has a DG recording with Fur Elise and other piano pieces by Schubert, Schumann, Mozart, Brahms that should be excellent.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much, rsorren1!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi Ron
Look for Wilhelm Kempff's interpretation on Deutsche Grammophone. Another would be Alfred Brendel on Philips.
Cheers
Brad

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Brad!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Lee! It is pretty unanimous in favour of those two recordings!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
From Discogs I ordered two of the Brendel on Philips and two of the Kempff on DG.

(They will remain boxed, like every LP and tape I have ordered during the last four years, until sometime next year.)

I thank each of you for the recommendations and the assistance!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing