Is 3D Cinema & @ Home Dead?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? http://www.tiff.net/tiff/prototype/
___

? http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-episode-ix-release-date-jj-abrams-1202555963/

Disney’s full release schedule through 2021:

2017:
“Thor: Ragnarok” (3D) — Nov. 3, 2017
“Coco” (3D) — Nov. 22, 2017
“Star Wars: the Last Jedi” (3D) — Dec. 15, 2017

2018:
“Black Panther” (3D) — Feb. 16, 2018
“A Wrinkle in Time” (3D) — Mar. 9, 2018
“Avengers: Infinity War” (3D) — May 4, 2018
Untitled Han Solo pic — May 25, 2018
“The Incredibles 2” (3D) — June 15, 2018
“Ant-Man and the Wasp” (3D) — July 6, 2018
Untitled Christopher Robin project — Aug. 3, 2018
“The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” (3D) — Nov. 2, 2018
“Mulan” (3D) — Nov. 2, 2018
“Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2” (3D) — Nov. 21, 2018
“Mary Poppins Returns” — Dec. 25, 2018

2019:
“Captain Marvel” (3D) — Mar. 8, 2019
“Dumbo” (3D) — Mar. 29, 2019
Untitled Disneytoon Studios — April 12, 2019
Untitled “Avengers” (3D) — May 3, 2019
“Aladdin” (3D) — May 24, 2019
“Toy Story 4” — June 21, 2019
“The Lion King” (3D) — July 19, 2019
“Artermis Fowl” (3D) — Aug. 9, 2019
“Nicole” — Nov. 8, 2019
“Frozen 2” — Nov. 27, 2019
“Star Wars: Episode IX” (3D) — Dec. 20, 2019

2020:
Untitled Pixar Animation (3D) — Mar. 13, 2020
Untitled Disney Live Action — April, 3, 2020
Untitled Marvel (3D) — May 1, 2020
Untitled Pixar Animation (3D) — June 19, 2020
Untitled “Indiana Jones” pic — July 10, 2020
Untitled Marvel (3D) — Aug. 7, 2020
Untitled Marvel (3D) — Nov. 6, 20202
“Gigantic” (3D) — Nov. 25, 2020

2021:
Untitled Disney Live Action — Mar. 12, 2021
Untitled Pixar Animation (3D) — June 18, 2021
Untitled Disney Animation (3D) — Nov. 24, 2021

Last edited:

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
IMHO, 3D do not add art value to the picture and that's all I care.

It's more like a gimmick.

A true Holographic picture in the future might go where it matters for me but not 3D. It is like the shiny animal & landscape pictures (when we were kids) that created the 3D effect by tilting our heads. It was short fun but not something serious.

Also, even the best 3D picture quality do not reach the picture quality of the best 2D production.

But in the end what matters is the 'art value'.

A similar thing passed us 15-20 years ago, it was fun to listen to music in the new 5.1 setup hype but we never did hold on to it because it really didn't add anything to the art value. It was great listening to the Dark Side of the Moon once in a while but it didn't help us with the emotional connection with the art, the content itself. So it faded.

3D will (already did?) fade away with Cinema as an art form. In a sense that Disneyland faded away. It is 'there' to have a few laughs with the kids but it is not really a 'thing'.

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
With the current push of OLED in the home and the latest 4k & HDR displays I just saw at CEDIA last week, I'd be happy if they set 3D as an interesting legacy option, and no longer a requirement. We are still battling to get the black and bright levels with full color spectrum and saturation. These details are visually captivating to anyone who sees them greatly improved. 3D throws away 1/2 the light output we never have enough of, and I would much rather see highly detailed greys and blacks absent of blocking, wash-out, or pixelation. We are only barely starting to figure out how to deliver useful HDR with projectors in a home, and we now can finally find an impressive cinema experience in the best of the Dolby Cinema theaters. 3D/immersive sound is here and readily demonstrable and preferable for a wide audience. It's much easier to create a convincing 3D audio experience for an audience than 3D video, and video requires many more compromises. I'd argue that until we can achieve near HDR performance on a big screen we're wandering down the wrong path with 3D.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Audio is a passion, sounds of music is a passion, photos is a passion, moving pictures/cinema is a passion, ...we all love music and films, in black and whites and in colors. Art has no boundaries, no limits; it is the exploration of the senses and of the spirit and soul.

The technological advancements/developments are the limits.

OLED thin is in, 4K HDR is in, Dolby Atmos is in, Dolby Vision is advancing, Blu-Ray UHD is in, ...and 3D is still here, even in its greater absence from the TV manufacturers. They do not control the entertainment industry, people do...moviegoers and movie watchers.

Me, I see an interlude, a short break, a transition time, a period of adjustment and further developments in the art of movie entertainment.

I agree that the darkest blacks and brightest whites give us the most pure black and white movies.
I agree that immersive surround sound is a hoot. I agree that Dolby Atmos and dts:X and Auro-3D complement perfectly 3D films. Yet Blu-Ray @ home applies it strictly with 2D 4K (20th Century Fox, Sony Pictures, Warner Brothers). I oppose to this gross miscalculation.

8K is just around the corner...this Fall...Sharp. 3D is strong still @ the theaters and @ Disneyland.
Some of the best top film directors with a true real artistic vision are in touch with the latest stereo telescopic cameras. ...And the speed of frame rates.

My personal view do not count, because money is above true entertainment art, like a message of peace from a rock music concert. An audiophile classical music Hall, with all acoustics well equilibrated, is like a 3D live holographic listening experience. Put a live audience in that hall with the orchestra and the opera singers and choir, and it is a total musical moving event. The musicians and the singers are real, in 3D person, playing and moving their fingers and mouths with the instruments. Everything that moves counts....visually and auditory. Our senses, our emotions come from all small and large important clues, including depth.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I'd argue that until we can achieve near HDR performance on a big screen we're wandering down the wrong path with 3D.

And after we get acceptable HDR on projectors, 3D will STILL be dead. It's one of those: "we threw a party but no one (or to be more accurate, very few) came". I was around the first time 3D came around (or maybe I just read about it :D) and enjoyed the novelty of it. I have watched part of a movie more recently and, for me, it is still nothing but a novelty.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Did you guys see 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' in 3D?
Or 'Ghost in the Shell' in 3D?
...'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' in 3D?

You did not like?

I don't bother watching in 3D any longer. As I said, it is just not my thing, In GotG Vol 2, I did notice a number of scenes where the 3D might have been fun.

There are LOTS of folks who like Crowson seat activators. I HATE them. Without exception, they ALWAYS take me out of the movie. While 3D does not do that, I still find it a distraction.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
...Like some folks who think that surround sound is superfluous, outside the conventional hi-fi stereo sound systems. I love analog stereo turntables, more than cassette tapes, more than this. I was born in the fifties when Frank Sinatra was around, and Elvis. Today, in 2017, the sounds of the hurricane's winds come from all around and above. 3D does that too to me, and not only from my ears but also from my eyes. It is truly catastrophic, ungrounded, disorienting, intoxicating...like a heroin rush.
Some people need a solid and calming foundation...strictly in 2D...like in stereo, a comforting zone. I respect that, and I also respect the explorers of sound and light and depth.
If our perceptions were like bubble gum, we would be blowing lots of flying bubbles around, like pink pigs in the big red sky. It is a figure of speech, to describe the depth of visual imageries, like a Pink Floyd's tune in multichannel surround sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing