Is 3D Cinema & @ Home Dead?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That question has been asked everywhere else except here.
Most of us we have read few on this, and most of us we don't really care. I am not most of us, I do care, about 3D and the rest.
If you don't live near a big city where the best films are projected, you are restricted to inferior film's experience, and also from lesser films.
Home is where the heart/art is, short of living near a museum. It's a way of speech.

? https://3dcontentblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/01/james-camerons-assessment-of-the-3d-industry/

Money wise, yes 3D is dead, very dead. @ least here in North America.
Technologically advanced/artistically/futuristically speaking, 3D is just hibernating, till it resurrects itself from the masters of 3D moving cameras, the 3D avant-gardiste cinematographers and film directors, I firmly believe.
The future will determine that level of veracity.

The majority don't buy into 3D, and the TV makers and the movie theater's managers they all know it.
Even IMAX 3D is going to emphasize more 2D films from now on.

It is also important to remember that I'm talking about North America, and not about South America, or South Africa, or Europe or Japan or China or India.
Each world's regions have different numbers on 3D ticket sales and 3D theatre's and 3D moviegoers and 3D TV's accessibility and 3D projectors (& 3D players).

I'd say it's fair to say that here it's a special minority niche. ...Like hi-end audio.

I'm a big 3D Blu-ray fan myself, and the occasional 3D IMAX film. I also love OLED, UHD, HDR, Dolby Vision and everything else 2D visuals.
If someone was going to drop me on a remote island of the Pacific with my family and best friends and only one projection screen, including a collection of films and documentaries, with the choice of 3D or not; I certainly would include 3D in the lot. I'd rather be full equipped than restricted.

What do you think, dead or alive?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I have no idea if it survives, but personally I am completely uninterested in the format.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Ron, you are in the vast majority, I'd say 90% here @ WBF. I bet a poll would confirm that, the reason why I don't start one. :b

It takes luminaries/visionaries like Elon Musk and James Cameron and the like to energize the light towards the future.
Electric self-driving cars, super highways in tunnels, underground, self-driving to go from point A to B, spaceships in the conquest of other habitable planets, immersive 3-dimensional movie experience, ...all @ the service of human transportation (quantum leap) and human entertainment, in a cleaner more breathable planet...and beyond.

Strictly 3D speaking, we are duplicating stuff and people in 3 dimensions. The technology allows us to program a computerized machine in order to replicate parts from exact specs in the 3D rendition.
Like we are able to replicate audio amplifiers and loudspeakers using 3D technology. In Japan they replicate robots using 3D technology, even your next spouse.
Two films, two great films (IMO); Gravity and Interstellar. The first one I saw in 3D @ the movie theater, and the second one in 2D @ the movie theater.
I even bought both on Blu-ray for home.

Avatar is not a favorite to everyone, but it did very good @ the box office, almost $3 billion worldwide, for a single film.
It resurrected 3D like never before. Now the flame has extinguished in popularity. That was a phase that lasted only few years, roughly 5-6 years, with a certain clientele here in North America. That phase is over, financially, but technically is just waiting on the sideline to rebound with triple force eventually.

I understand how the entertainment business works, and I also understand that art development in the cinema experience is just waiting in the 3D aisles of glasses-free ultra 3D cinema reinvigoration. UHD/HDR Dolby Vision is a beautiful thing in 2D. We are behind for 3D, the 3D glasses have to go, and the highest resolution/depth/light has yet to come for 3D.

OLED is numero uno right now. But it's only in 2D (2017 models): • https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/a1e-series
And the front projectors are in dire need to improve, in regards to light in 3D and motion blur.
The number of frames per second is another very important aspect of future cinema adaptation and adoption.

There are no wars going on today; we have the choice offered by what's playing where and in what format.
We can still hunt for older 3D model TVs (2016 from LG 3D OLED for example). And many front projectors still offer 3D feature. ...And same with Blu-ray players.
My local IMAX theaters and other regular screens still play 3D blockbuster films. By the time it diminished to approximately 10% Avatar 2 will start showing up.
Will it be also in 3D? James Cameron reminds me a little of Leon Musk. Because James is an ocean explorer, a 3D frontier man, a cinema visionary of an extra dimension over say a guy like Christopher Nolan. I like them both for their unique approaches, and other film directors as well; the usual master suspects, of the third cinema dimension. I won't enumerate them because I did many times already in the past. There are roughly a good dozen of them, if not two.

Anyway, thank you Ron for replying here.
To keep 3D alive today is an impossible challenge; if the money isn't there the interest from the providers isn't there either. But it doesn't stop the 3D videophiles like me to keep watching 3D films @ both the theater and @ home, absolutely not. They still release them, so it is still alive, it's still breathing, with a tube plugged in the nostrils.
Some of my best friends are . . . the 3D moviegoers. It's a Telarc record label Jazz music line (Ray Brown Trio) on some of the titles, like:

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Joe, what movie did you see recently?

* You have a nice car, a nice Tesla Model S: Can you watch a movie on the big screen inside while the car is self-driving? :b

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I *luv* 3D at the theater, IMAX bring it on, I sit right up front. At home, to date, the best 3D has been at home with Sony OLED visors and using the surround sound system in the room. This produces a discrete screen for each eye. However, the grid structure of the pixels is visible, and better than 720p panels would help a lot.

The Sony projector system at home in Pleasanton also does reasonable 3D with glasses, but nothing like the visors or the theater, so I rarely use it. 3D content is disappearing from Comcast Cable, not enough interest.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
3D home cinema is dead.

Nobody wants it.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I liked the effect in Avatar a lot cuz it was IMHO subtle not in your face as I remember it. Saw it at an IMAX. Worked well with the flora.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
3D home cinema is dead.

Nobody wants it.

The wife and kids too Gary? About Ivan, from audioaficionado, and other members?

You sure are right, nobody wants it. It's the same with death. :D
_____

Ron, 'Avatar' was the big boost for me, and I never turned back to dimensionless.
'Avatar' and 'Gravity' are a good test; if people want to experiment.
It's the same with turntables and multichannel SACD players. Many people don't want multichannel, they're happy with stereo, from the time they were born.
_____

3D uses stereo...stereoscopy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscopy (Modern, avant-gardiste, with our times)
2D uses mono...monoscope: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoscope (Antique, dépassé, with old times)

Extra: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6c2c/373ef942f649cbeb22824b6d5ffe26a197db.pdf
_____

Teleportation is part of our future, self-driving cars are already here and electric too, solar panels, wind turbines, holography cinema...

Those scenes above ? are much more exciting in 3D, take my eyes for it.

Bonus:

:b

That's 3-years old though ? Since then they have released some amazing ones.

I tell you this; scenes like the ones below ? in 3D are much more entertaining than in 2D, take my eyes for it:

So, you really think that 3D is dead? First, are you experienced?
It's all fine, some of my best friends watched movies in 2D. But they're blown away after watching one in 3D @ my place. And then another one.
It's like heroin, but not quite. It's just a word, to conceptualize the 3D visual experience, as a rush. ...Nothing else, it won't make you an addict.
_____

Today 3D is everywhere, tomorrow everyone will want it, and more...
We are experiencing a phase shift right now, that's all, no cause for alarm...everything is jazzy smooth and cool.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I enjoy 3D. I just recently got a display capable of it so I'm new to the format.

Would I want to watch it all the time? No, but it's a fun alternative once in a while.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Check this out:

• Avatar sequels in the works: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/avatar/news/a834522/avatar-sequels-weta-start-production/
• Terminator 2 and Aliens in 3D, and Terminator 6: http://www.thearnoldfans.com/news/2...ys-stay-tuned-to-t6-for-arnolds-human-ch.html
More: https://www.facebook.com/WeGotThisCovered/posts/1657831647600188
Or: http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/aliens-3d-re-release-james-cameron/

- - - - - - -

No mention yet of The Abyss in 3DDD.
_____

Ian, I too enjoy 3D, and I too don't watch 3D all the time. Roughly only 10% of my Blu-ray collection is in 3D, the rest is in 2D (about 660 Blu-ray 3D titles).
I started earlier too.

Anyway, James Cameron made Avatar in 3D and it made almost $3 billion @ the box office, worldwide. The 3D version was and still is one of the very best.
He redid Titanic in 3D. It's not bad, it adds another dimension layer.

Now I just posted the latest news: Terminator 2: Judgement Day is coming again, this time in 3D. ...In less than two weeks from now, August 25th.
And Aliens is being mentioned for a re-release, in 3D.
Then Terminator 6
Avatar's sequels are already in the works, confirmed.

True Lies and The Abyss I love them too, but there is so much James Cameron can work on right now. ...Perhaps in future projects, in 3D (glasses-free).
I'm fine with True Lies in 2D (Blu-ray and UHD BR). The Abyss; yes, that one would be cool in 3DDD Blu-ray, I'm in when the time comes.
_____

The love we share has more dimensional impact in 3D. :b ...It's the same with a hi-end turntable playing the best music recordings. ...Or a hi-end digital rig; stereo and/or multichannel.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Interestingly enough, True Lies and The Abyss (both movies I love) have never been released on blu-ray. I hope they get released soon.

I think Cameron is involved with 3D technology that won't require glasses - that would be very cool.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Until someone solves the need for glasses, and the replacement technology doesn't give headaches, 3D is, if not dead, very much in a coma. I am old enough to remember the first go-around. I thought it was gimmicky (but fun) then, and nothing has changed ... for me.

But since the TV manufactures have quit building 3D TV's, it matters not what anyone thinks here !!! Even though projection TV's can do 3D, that is such a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny piece of the market, it makes no difference.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If all the audio and video stuff that are part of only a tiny, tiny, tiny piece of the AV market wouldn't matter, what we think, what we see, what we hear, then we wouldn't be ear @ WBF. :b
The very existence of WBF is the tiny piece of the overall market, what best that tiny piece has to offer, 3D included. ...Right? Of course right.

I could start a thread strictly about 2D and just 2D TVs, 2D front projectors, 2D movies (@ the theater...'Dunkirk', on DVD, on Blu-ray, on UHD BR), and roughly the same number of members would be populating it; us.

This one is just to keep up with the death and also what's still alive in 3D today, and what might come tomorrow; 8K first or 3D UHD (glasses-free).
Some UHD Blu-ray movie releases are poorly executed in comparison to their 3D alternatives.
Yes, 3D is not making the money that 2D is. It doesn't mean that 3D is bad. It's all good when we choose what we love. It doesn't have to make money; Trinity I don't think they make a lot of money, as compared to say TEAC, or Esoteric.

Anyway, I like to keep 3D alive, and I will. There is enough good stuff and news and 3D movies still released today and tomorrow to keep the flame alive and bright for the few of us, occasionally. There are some great quality 3D and 2D movies out there. It's nice to have alternatives, as we still have them, with or without the support from TV manufacturers this year.

This is only a prediction of mine: By the year 2019, @ the latest, we'll start to see more TV manufacturers, here in the North American market, offering 3D on some of their higher-end model TVs. 3D will never catch on like analog turntables did, but it will bounce back too, I think.

2D to me is like CD, and SACD is like UHD Blu-ray. 3D is like analog tape, analog vinyl.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
(((•))) http://variety.com/2017/voices/columns/3d-movies-audiences-1202535879/

-------------------- And please, don't press that red button above ? it could be hazardous.

A good sequel to the original (with some dull moments nonetheless), but/and the 3D version is phenomenal; high caliber cinematic 3-dimensional experience.
...Some good humor, very.

- Film entertainment rating: 91
- Technical merit (music tunes and 3D immersion): 97

Overall (3D version): 93

If they keep releasing quality 3D Blus like this, 3D would reborn.

Last word: Who's your daddy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing