"The sound of the absolute best, not just better,but a totally different listening experience!!"

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The quote in my heading is from an ad that was placed by Overture audio in the Absolute Sound and references the new MIT ACC series of cable. ( Is this hyperbole or perhaps understatement---I guess it depends on who you ask ( see below!)?)

Terry Menacker then goes on to say: "Forget what you thought was the best! MIT's ACC technology isn't just better; it will totally transform your high-end music system to never achieved levels of musicality and allow it to reach its absolute fullest potential.----
....You can balance transients, detail, imaging and musicality. ....Bruce Brisson and the MIT design team have truly revolutionized the playback of fine recordings and forever changed the role of the component interface in an audio system."

What is not made clear in the ad is the paltry cost of the MIT ACC 268 cabling--- a mere $80K per pair...:)

I have to ask one question....who out there is now running to their friendly local MIT dealer and plonking down their hard earned $$'s. What's the old saying about one born every minute, LOL. Or, maybe Bruce Brisson has designed the best piece of audio gear in the past 30+ years and it can do exactly as advertised above.....what do we think?:D

Oh, I forgot, Robert Harley in his review of the very same cables had this to say: " The sonic changes they render are unlike any other differences I've heard between components".......uh huh! :rolleyes:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The quote in my heading is from an ad that was placed by Overture audio in the Absolute Sound and references the new MIT ACC series of cable. ( Is this hyperbole or perhaps understatement---I guess it depends on who you ask ( see below!)?)

Terry Menacker then goes on to say: "Forget what you thought was the best! MIT's ACC technology isn't just better; it will totally transform your high-end music system to never achieved levels of musicality and allow it to reach its absolute fullest potential.----
....You can balance transients, detail, imaging and musicality. ....Bruce Brisson and the MIT design team have truly revolutionized the playback of fine recordings and forever changed the role of the component interface in an audio system."

What is not made clear in the ad is the paltry cost of the MIT ACC 268 cabling--- a mere $80K per pair...:)

I have to ask one question....who out there is now running to their friendly local MIT dealer and plonking down their hard earned $$'s. What's the old saying about one born every minute, LOL. Or, maybe Bruce Brisson has designed the best piece of audio gear in the past 30+ years and it can do exactly as advertised above.....what do we think?:D

Oh, I forgot, Robert Harley in his review of the very same cables had this to say: " The sonic changes they render are unlike any other differences I've heard between components".......uh huh! :rolleyes:
From what I know now,I have two choices improve SQ by cables or another option. I chose not to take the cable route and given the cost differential, I made the right choice.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
(emphasis added)

The ACC technology does not seem to be as transformative as to turn any system into the best ever. I have heard a system with (albeit not those newest) MIT ACC cables in it, and while it was excellent, it was not as good as other systems without them. So where would I put my money?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I've already commented elsewhere. I heard the console at Overture a few months ago. I thought they sounded best with every conceivable control turned OFF. With all the bells and whistles off, they are nothing more than MIT MA-X SHDs, which are absolutely superb cables but at a considerably lower cost than the console. I invite anyone to bring a CD of a solo piano and play with the various tone controls (that's what they are folks despite the fancy names) and see what you think. You may very well like the benefits these controls provide. It's not for me.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

In all fairness, the complete, correct quote of that sentence would have been (you omit the emphasized part):

"The effects of engaging the articulation knobs on the ACC 268 are difficult to describe because the sonic changes they render are unlike any other differences I’ve heard between components, never mind speaker cables."

Robert Harley continues:

"Turning one of the articulation switches to the “On” position didn’t change the tonal balance, soundstaging, resolution, transparency, or any of the other typical characteristics we commonly associate with an alteration of the sound. Rather, the articulation control seemed to increase the textural density through the particular frequency band affected by the control (one control each for bass, midrange, and treble). That is, increasing the articulation rendered tone color with a greater timbral richness and solidity. Concomitantly, the sound had a greater dynamic verve and alacrity that made whatever speaker I was listening through sound faster and more “horn-like.” I’m not suggesting that the ACC 268 added a horn-like coloration, but rather that the ACC 268 had many of a horn speaker’s best attributes. Most notable of these was a high “jump factor,” with an almost startling quality on transient attacks. The combination of greater apparent transient speed, denser instrumental textures, and sensational dynamic verve combined to produce a sound that, in my view, sounds closer to the experience of hearing live music."

Link:
https://www.mitcables.com/us-review...-268-articulation-control-console-review.html

RH goes on to say that while with some amps he had all the knobs in the "on" position, with other amps he preferred some of the knobs in the "off" position.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I thought they sounded best with every conceivable control turned OFF.

I am using the small console 169. I also find it sounds best with all the knobs OFF. In other system or speakers, one might find the console can boost the musical energy projecting at you like MIT advertise. But with my horns, music already comes direct at me. Turning the switch ON in mid actually exaggerate texture of vocal and cover up the high, kind of like shifting the xover frequency of my subs up 5Hz. While turning the knob ON in high would exaggerate decay especially on piano which really bug me. Dont get me wrong. The MIT are really excellent cable. I even had the Siltech Tripple Crown IC in my system, but now I only keep MIT. People see their boxes and the sound in their head already shout artificial. I say dont look at them and just listen with your ears.

Kind regards,
Tang

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I am using the small console 169. I also find it sounds best with all the knobs OFF. In other system or speakers, one might find the console can boost the musical energy projecting at you like MIT advertise. But with my horns, music already comes direct at me. Turning the switch ON in mid actually exaggerate texture of vocal and cover up the high, kind of like shifting the xover frequency of my subs up 5Hz. While turning the knob ON in high would exaggerate decay especially on piano which really bug me. Dont get me wrong. The MIT are really excellent cable. I even had the Siltech Tripple Crown IC in my system, but now I only keep MIT. People see their boxes and the sound in their head already shout artificial. I say dont look at them and just listen with your ears.

Kind regards,
Tang

I may be missing something here, but I was under the impression that one bought these cables because they had the ability to adjust the sound to one's liking. Seems like on many systems the adjustments are not giving the best SQ, as such the adjustments are turned off.
Did any of you guys listen to these cables in your system before purchase? Because, if they don't work with the module/console active in the system, ( therefore all knobs turned off) I don't see the value of the module/console ....which you are paying a very steep price for.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
It doesn't seem fair to refer to MIT like devices as cables. They are really euphonic EQ networks with attached cables.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It doesn't seem fair to refer to MIT like devices as cables. They are really euphonic EQ networks with attached cables.

Why not? They do not change frequency response or phase in the audio band.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
They make the electrons happier. A happy electron is a good sounding electron.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I don't follow your logic.
Why would an EQ network need to be out of the system?

Kevin, you made the point yourself...if they don't do anything ( in your system) what's the point of having them? My question exactly!
So, if the EQ network is out of the system, we are simply left with cabling...which apparently sounds best without the control module in the signal. So why pay extra ( a LOT extra) for the added EQ network!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I may be missing something here, but I was under the impression that one bought these cables because they had the ability to adjust the sound to one's liking. Seems like on many systems the adjustments are not giving the best SQ, as such the adjustments are turned off.
Did any of you guys listen to these cables in your system before purchase? Because, if they don't work with the module/console active in the system, ( therefore all knobs turned off) I don't see the value of the module/console ....which you are paying a very steep price for.

Dear Sir,

I dont think that people who buy MIT buy it because it has a box :D. Same goes to Transparent with different shape of box. Adjustability is only to ones preference. I have compared MIT with several other cables at same price level in my system. Soundwise I prefer MIT. I will appreciate even more if they dont come with boxes, but they do and nothing I can do about it. I also compared top model MIT IC with their lower models. The top one happened to be better. So, this, to myself, answer the question why bother getting the top model if I am not going to play with the box. Another reason why I chose MIT is the price of their cable only increase in rather small incremental when the length of cable increase. A pair of my IC runs 9 meters, another pair is 8 meters. Sound doesnt change a bit b/w 2 meters or 9 meters.

Kind regards,
Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Cables as euphonic tone controls.
Who'd have thought it?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Then what's the point of having them, if they don't do anything?

They can add distortion and noise, and also reject or dissipate noise. Enough to make the proper system sound better.
We should remember that there is no neutral cable.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
They make the electrons happier. A happy electron is a good sounding electron.

cute..........and to think of the stupid $$$ some audiofools are willing to pay for them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing