Keith Armstrong
Jim Brown
Ralph Morrison
Neil Muncy (RIP)
Bill Whitlock

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
If the impedance is less because of the increased ground wire size, it becomes a path for more current that previously had another path. You divide noise into it. I can't say for all equipment, but there's plenty of noise parasitics from anything remotely near the chassis, often. The question is, was the path it took through some circuitry? Did it change the complex impedance negatively because it had a new place to go instead of being coupled? It's really a comment about the design of a device. Because of unknowns like that, my approach is not to use very large ground wires or try to make it act like a drain. It may work very well with some equipment, and terrible on others. As a designer it just isn't very practical to take a gamble when I can make something with no gamble.

That doesn't really begin to cover resonances, which is a ball game no one typically wants anything to do with at all.

As far as different sized gauges on wires, my subjective experience is it's always negative. It might, at times, benefit some stereos. It depends a lot on how much current flows, and how symmetric it is in nature with how the equipment works. But in general you can generate some noise. Here's an easy way to get an idea; take a powercord and add an extra 12ga neutral wire. Now use it for your DAC or whatever. You'll hear it! (obviously AC cords are not the same as interconnects, but it does demonstrate on a much larger scale what can happen)

I would disagree on the basis of my own and my customer's experience. All of my IC and power cables feature heavy gauge grounds and most people mention reduced noise when testing my cables. You wouldn't want the signal of IC cables to be as heavy as the grounds, in general, but it can work out depending on the conductor material. IMO it's a flaw made by a designer who has no clue when a SE IC cable has the same gauge ground and signal. They don't understand both the role the ground leg has in the audio system nor Ohm's law.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
reference stuff, part 1:

Grounding Systems

SRPP :: System Reference Potential Plane
STGP ::
Signal Transport Ground Plane
ZSRG :: Zero Signal Reference Grid
ZSRG :: Zero Signal Reference Conductors
ZSRP :: Zero Signal Reference Potential
ZSRP :: Zero Signal Reference Plane
MESH-CBN :: Meshed Common Bonding Network
MESH-IBN :: Meshed Isolated Bonding Network
PEC :: Paralleled Earth Conductors
PBC :: Paralleled Bonding Conductors

Although Keith Armstrong prefers to call them:
Conductive Structures

TBH, I hate TLAs, IMO of course

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
reference stuff part 3:

The AES reference journal from June 1995 "Shields and Grounds".
This has the Neil Muncy 'Pin 1 Problem' paper, Bill Whitlock paper, the complete John Windt 'Hummer Tester" paper and other. Total of about 85 pages for $15 shipped to your door.

https://customer258769455.portal.me...tegoryID=dfb59c4a-0066-cfc7-defb-0b3b8d837468

Yea but I find that comment on the techniques is more informative than just listing them off i.e. RogerD's approach to PEC & what it's doing & how it can possibly be audibly improving the sound.

Second thing I would love to see are attempted measurements & correlation (or lack of) to audibility

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I would disagree on the basis of my own and my customer's experience. All of my IC and power cables feature heavy gauge grounds and most people mention reduced noise when testing my cables. You wouldn't want the signal of IC cables to be as heavy as the grounds, in general, but it can work out depending on the conductor material. IMO it's a flaw made by a designer who has no clue when a SE IC cable has the same gauge ground and signal. They don't understand both the role the ground leg has in the audio system nor Ohm's law.

This is why I asked Folsom to expand on his statements, with real-world examples, as I couldn't relate to his statements

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I hate when people refer to impedance in these debates and do not specify clearly the frequencies they are addressing. :mad:

High-end sound quality, particularly using digital, deals with minimal effects that affect electrical signals, most of them are not clearly understood. Most audio devices we are using are not prepared to deal with existing RF interference, that has moved up in the spectrum during the last twenty years. I always refer to Ralph Morrison, the writer, not the book on Grounding and Shielding, as he had to re-write it five times - almost once every ten years along fifty years. His last version has a radical, very different approach, in order to deal with this evolution. Even for people who are not interested in technical subjects I suggest they read the preface (I post only a few lines). From it we easily understand why we will have very diverse, even antagonist opinions on grounding.

BTW, I have not adequately read the new edition (2015)- I own a much older copy, that was of great use many times in the past. I leave the hard task of properly studying the new edition to a younger generation, my interests and duties have moved to other areas. But I appreciated the approach to the subject enough to buy it and lightly read a few chapters.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 80
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 79

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I hate when people refer to impedance in these debates and do not specify clearly the frequencies they are addressing. :mad:

Huh??
I specifically mentioned low frequency currents @ <500KHz favouring return paths of lowest resistance and >500KHz lowest impedance predominates as the retrun path

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Second thing I would love to see are attempted measurements & correlation (or lack of) to audibility
With this find of stuff, the result will be very situation specific.
Plus it's hard to find anyone interested in doing the audibility part of the test.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Yea but I find that comment on the techniques is more informative than just listing them off i.e. RogerD's approach to PEC & what it's doing & how it can possibly be audibly improving the sound.
I'm sorry, I see RogerD's posts, but what is his method?
What's a PEC? Remember about TLA's ?

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I'm sorry, I see RogerD's posts, but what is his method?
What's a PEC? Remember about TLA's ?

You gotta keep up or at least read your own posts :) - from your references - PEC :: Paralleled Earth Conductors (although I think he is using a star ground configuration?)
This is what RogerD is using and what Audio Precision recommend for optimal measurements - so not really that situation specific, don't you think?
This is why it's better to talk about applied use of these techniques as PEC really means very little until you see it & hear reports of the audible results
As I said, if AP recommend it & RogerD finds it audible (in his system) then I reckon it should be measurable but would like to see this

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The bottom line for me regardless of any confusion by audio engineers is that what I do increases SQ in a profound manner. Star grounding is probably older than I am. The only thing I do differently is to use zero gauge cable. There is no magic or slight of hand involved here. My method does not cost tens of thousands of dollars. There is no need of that. Star grounding is based on a simple principle ..chassis ground and EMI noise will flow back to ground.
The benefits are many:

Increased SQ
Greater efficiency of speakers
Transformers run quieter
No hum
Speakers are dead quiet
Digital playback is greatly improved
Low frequency reproduction is profound
The increase in clarity is profound
With the increase in clarity comes greater music reproduction on every level.

That's good enough for me..anybody else I can't speak for them.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Can you give some examples of actual detrimental results from this chassis grounding approach, please as I can't relate to what you say?

The thing is that RogerD isn't designing equipment - he & others have done aftermarket adjustments with, it seems, great audible improvement.
I agree if one has carte blanche & designing from ground up then these adjustments should not be needed for the device you have full design control over but you may be forgetting that your audio device usually has to be connected to other devices & this is maybe where things don't go as planned

What is the cause of this extra noise(?) from the larger gauge neutral wire?

I'm not sure how much sense it'll make if I try to give a very literal example of a piece of equipment so I'll keep it general. But for example I use coupling to chassis to break the parasitic nature, fairly often. For example a capacitor from a mounting screw to circuit ground. But to really see the issue I prefer to illustrate the problems that come from purposely increasing circulation of noise.

If you have a CMC and you put an X capacitor directly after it, that is a mistake 99% of the time. Prior to the cap a lot of noise simply would have gone elsewhere, maybe through mutual inductance, but you created an easier path through the CMC, to couple to the capacitor, than it would have had to go through whatever is down the line. The problem is the effect on the CMC, not that you're coupling noise. CMC's and just about anything in electronics are susceptible to issue of having nasties circulating through them. It often goes unnoticed when trying to measure, but can be audible early on. If it's bad enough you can see reductions in current, enough to stop things from working. I realize that is very general with an example not specific to analog and digital circuits or anything like that, but the principle is a reality. And the ground is no different, especially with common mode noise from the AC. I hope that is close enough to common language I wasn't just typing for you, jkenny.

As far as the larger gauge neutral wire I don't have a very definitive answer, as it's a phenomenon that I have not investigated any farther since I have the result I need; and it's rare to see that large of an imbalance in most cords. It just sounds really wrong. What we do know on principle is that the fields from the wires will change due to the imbalance, and with 115v that may be plenty to really infect a system. When it comes to interconnects it's not necessarily bad at all. They often benefit from what I can only describe as a small pinch on current that it causes, from experience with what sounds like what. Why and if all output/buffer/input stages are susceptible I do not know. Frankly for most stereo's it's a small benefit because they are not capable of the full delivery of what the music would actually drive if possible, free of all electronic bounds. It is my personal preference and suggestion, but as with pretty much all things audiophile, there is a subjective clause to it.

How can you reject more noise, when the nose is produced internally? Ferrite rings,blockers,EMI rejection materials don't work either. Granted a well designed cable can make a difference,but that's not a total problem solver. I have read many like comments but only a adequate parallel ground circuit will make a profound difference. The rest is just incremental and that is what the high end makes it's living on.

Roger, I believe 100% you hear what you hear. But that does not mean your reasoning is aligned with what's actually occurring. Your list is odd set of laymen conceptions, but the point is understood and taken. Thing is those do reduce noise as otherwise telecommunications (internet etc) would not exist if the principles could not be applied. They may not subjectively give you what you need in any way, shape, or form, but none the less do actually work. And yet even when working they may still have issues like I covered above, so subjectively even when working they can trash the sound when not applied well. If I can say one thing that seems evident about what you do, very equal potentials will give you a lot of the described traits you get and want.

Noise is everywhere. Voltage only divides and multiplies. We may get say a 12v + 12v battery to equal 24v in series, but to be sound in principle it's actually 12v x 2. Because of this behaviour we see noise going everywhere. What we can do to reduce it is using means of attenuation, and not encouraging it. Trying to simply create a better potential for it has serious limits. First off the safety ground is tied to the neutral in the breaker box. That means the safety ground's potential can only exceed neutrals in the sense that it has a ground rod to earth. The problem is the rod to earth need only be 25ohm or lower. That's actually a lot of resistance. So the potential has a limit of whatever the actual impedance is from the breaker panel back to the neighbourhood transformer along with the ground rod (formula). This means depending on frequency the safety ground is in direct competition with the neutral for a lot of frequencies, and it's largely inductance dependent. If the safety ground has nothing to lower it's inductance, it isn't necessarily draining huge swaths of certain noise frequencies, in fact it can become a source for some noise. This is well illustrated in the constant battle with ground in studios. They are fighting to keep the resistance down not because they want to drain noise, but because they want to stop it from coming in! Studio tech's would probably love to float all the gear in many cases but it's not a good idea for many reasons.

None of this changes that you love your results. I encourage you to continue your path of discovery. I'm just pointing out that you talk about a lot of conjecture to everyone, including people that really understand electricity and have been employed with that knowledge to do things that require the opposite of what you sometimes say, to even be a reality.

As far as subjective qualities I pretty much believe whole heartedly that people can be on either side of the fence for what they enjoy, electrically speaking. The problem is good engineering that produces wrong results for many audiophiles, comes with common language that interferes with people's discussion about it. For example no audiophile really wants to say "I like equipment designed to allow certain amounts of RF noise into it, as it has some purposely poorly engineered RF rejection" but the simple reality is that maybe as much as half of all audiophile actually do prefer it. The biggest mistake in the discussion is the assumption that RF in a system means audible RF from the speakers, but that relationship is simply not true in the least, ~99% of the time. The same goes for general noise, you don't hear the noise itself, you hear how it transformed the music.

So all in all, I am not "rejecting" noise in the path of the interconnects, but it works to say it that way for most people. What I'm doing is creating an impedance and attenuation that essentially leaves nothing notable after it. Noise flat out does go from one component to another, and a lot of it is picked up from the air. That internally generated noise in say a preamp, can certainly be shared to an amplifier. It goes back to division, it will divide into the amp if the potential is there.

Dave, you already know I really like your cables. And the D4 I ordered is a winner. But I do believe balancing the gauges could lead to new better versions (for me), but maybe not for everyone. If I were to order more cables I would order custom balanced ones (don't be surprised to hear from me in the future for cables). As is your cables are very close, so in general it's likely more of a benefit for most, including noise. Noise is not my primary concern with cables themselves, btw. You certainly are not wrong that balancing the two can be tricky because you do not want too large of a signal gauge, as gauge itself can form a bit of audio band attenuation in the "bad zone" between not big enough and not small enough.

High-end sound quality, particularly using digital, deals with minimal effects that affect electrical signals, most of them are not clearly understood. Most audio devices we are using are not prepared to deal with existing RF interference, that has moved up in the spectrum during the last twenty years.

The RF frequency hike does leave us in a funny position. The average connector isn't good enough to keep out the really high stuff at all. Few boxes are even tightly enough sealed to not allow it to creep in. How much does it matter? I'm not sure with the really high RF junk. I believe the shape of the conductors may have more audible influence for audio concerns. But my sympathies go out to anyone dealing it in non-audio fields. I don't think this matters much for our discussion.

Last edited:

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
The bottom line for me regardless of any confusion by audio engineers is that what I do increases SQ in a profound manner. Star grounding is probably older than I am. The only thing I do differently is to use zero gauge cable. There is no magic or slight of hand involved here. My method does not cost tens of thousands of dollars. There is no need of that. Star grounding is based on a simple principle ..chassis ground and EMI noise will flow back to ground.
The benefits are many:

Increased SQ
Greater efficiency of speakers
Transformers run quieter
No hum
Speakers are dead quiet
Digital playback is greatly improved
Low frequency reproduction is profound
The increase in clarity is profound
With the increase in clarity comes greater music reproduction on every level.

That's good enough for me..anybody else I can't speak for them.

Yes star grounding inside audio device is common enough but not between audio equipment.
The only other time I've heard of this (apart from the Audio Precision app note) was with Naim equipment which does the same star grounding config

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Huh??
I specifically mentioned low frequency currents @ <500KHz favouring return paths of lowest resistance and >500KHz lowest impedance predominates as the retrun path

John,

You are not alone using the word "impedance". :) But yes, you addressed the critical point - the relevant part of the business occurs elsewhere ( >> 500 kHz) ...

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Yes star grounding inside audio device is common enough but not between audio equipment.
The only other time I've heard of this (apart from the Audio Precision app note) was with Naim equipment which does the same star grounding config

What's the difference between what I do and what has been standard practice for years in the recording industry. The RE's rack mount the audio gear and then bond it together and then strap the rack to earth ground. The benefits are a dead quiet circuit using several hundred feet of microphone cable. The noise floor is super low as is mine. Absolutely nothing new here , just new for the high end crowd.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
What's the difference between what I do and what has been standard practice for years in the recording industry. The RE's rack mount the audio gear and then bond it together and then strap the rack to earth ground. The benefits are a dead quiet circuit using several hundred feet of microphone cable. The noise floor is super low as is mine. Absolutely nothing new here , just new for the high end crowd.

That's a nice anecdote. It is funny that the connection isn't often made between the fact that the rack is connecting them all like a big fat cable. The noise floor is help kept low due to the equalling potentials, but not necessarily relate to noise. Yep, another confusing statement that's true. A term for electrical noise would be nice, maybe enoise? You can have enoise even with vanished audible noise floor. But you can also have the speakers having a little sound in them if you put your ear up to them, and yet the whole stereo could be very low enoise - as that little fizzle can be from the (for example) amp circuit itself and have no bad effects on the sound.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
John,

You are not alone using the word "impedance". :) But yes, you addressed the critical point - the relevant part of the business occurs elsewhere ( >> 500 kHz) ...
Maybe? I'm keeping an open mind on that. Maybe it's just that RogerD has addressed the low hanging fruit i.e. <500KHz - does this cover the frequencies of leakage currents from SMPSes & LPSes? Maybe this is the main culprit? It seems that with the increase in the use of SMPSes (including computer audio) this has become more of an issue?

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

Yes, I forgot about recording studios who are much more at home with preventing enoise by using balanced cables & when forced to use single ended cables to connect device together especially when some distance separates them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing