super daft question - is there such a thing as a neutral cartridge???

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Hello All

I see that there is a whole world of carts out there - I'm sure you all know more than I can name.

But what are people looking for? With amps and speakers I personally look for neutrality. Cartridges Cleary have distinctive flavours so to speak - some majoring on dynamics, others warmth etc. Doesn't that take away from neutrality? Or am I being a luddite and missing something?

I am on the lookout for a cartridge for my new tonearm - a Helius Omega with ceramic bearings - I understand it has a mid/forward balance and am therefore looking for a cartridge that is the opposite of this so to speak.

thanks - I would appreciate the discussion ladies and gents

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Interesting question and one that is very difficult to answer, IMHO. Firstly, there is a question as to how one can even audition cartridges prior to purchase...see my thread: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?23640-A-new-cartridge-what-criteria
Then we have to be sure that the ancillary gear is not contributing to our perception of the sound from the cartridge....neutral with one set-up may be completely colored on another. Since you seem to know the sound of your ancillary gear...including the Helius tonearm,it looks like you are in fact looking for a cartridge that is anything but neutral! Perhaps one that has a bass/recessed balance?? Very hard to figure what that is going to be, IMO.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I also very much would like to read a discussion on this question. For me, I look for cartridge that gives good realism and draw me into musical performance. It could be neutral (if there is such thing) or not neutral I dont really care much. Different flavours make interesting listening experiences imo. Ten singers can have all different voices and each could give excellent singing performance in own way....same to cartridges. Maybe a neutral cart is the one that is true to source. But since I was never at the recording venue, I have no reference for comparison and never gonna know. The whole system probably have to be neutral too and this get even more complicated.

Kind regards,
Tang

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Interesting question and one that is very difficult to answer, IMHO. Firstly, there is a question as to how one can even audition cartridges prior to purchase...see my thread: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?23640-A-new-cartridge-what-criteria
Then we have to be sure that the ancillary gear is not contributing to our perception of the sound from the cartridge....neutral with one set-up may be completely colored on another. Since you seem to know the sound of your ancillary gear...including the Helius tonearm,it looks like you are in fact looking for a cartridge that is anything but neutral! Perhaps one that has a bass/recessed balance?? Very hard to figure what that is going to be, IMO.

Hi Davey - much like you said about cartridges being un-auditionable (is there such a word??? ;) ) I got the Helius on the basis that I recall hearing a Void with the old Helius Cyalene. I also have a soft spot for non-establishment brands. I then read a review by Hi-World and they tested it and found it had a bit frequency forward balance - as such one ought to 'neutralise' it with a slightly recessed mid I guess.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Davey - much like you said about cartridges being un-auditionable (is there such a word??? ;) ) I got the Helius on the basis that I recall hearing a Void with the old Helius Cyalene. I also have a soft spot for non-establishment brands. I then read a review by Hi-World and they tested it and found it had a bit frequency forward balance - as such one ought to 'neutralise' it with a slightly recessed mid I guess.

I think the problem that you face here is that you are trying to essentially equalize an imbalance in your system's sound. The old days where equalizer's were common would certainly hold out benefits for such a task. However, i am of the opinion that today, without such a gadget, one is better off either a) realizing that the system is colored and accepting that coloration or b) replacing the offending gear that is recognized to be coloring up the sound. The latter is more difficult to accomplish and leads to a variety of other issues...as you are now finding out. Surprising in a way that the equalizer of yore has no place in today's hobby...I, for one, would think that a high end equalizer would have some significant demand and utility. Hmmm...:confused:

BTW, didn't Mark Levinson bring out such a device a few years ago within his Cello line....didn't seem to catch on too well, but the benefit would seem to be obvious.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Surprising in a way that the equalizer of yore has no place in today's hobby...I, for one, would think that a high end equalizer would have some significant demand and utility. Hmmm...:confused:

BTW, didn't Mark Levinson bring out such a device a few years ago within his Cello line....didn't seem to catch on too well, but the benefit would seem to be obvious.

I am optimizing (equalizing) the bass with the volume control of the subwoofer for each recording. I refuse to accept at face value the often either overblown or meatless bass on recordings due to the drunken stupor of the mixing engineer ;). The bass just varies too wildly between recordings (and no, it's not just my system, I notice the same thing on uber systems too). On the other hand, for midrange and treble I rarely wish for equalization.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello All

I see that there is a whole world of carts out there - I'm sure you all know more than I can name.

But what are people looking for? With amps and speakers I personally look for neutrality. Cartridges Cleary have distinctive flavours so to speak - some majoring on dynamics, others warmth etc. Doesn't that take away from neutrality? Or am I being a luddite and missing something?

I am on the lookout for a cartridge for my new tonearm - a Helius Omega with ceramic bearings - I understand it has a mid/forward balance and am therefore looking for a cartridge that is the opposite of this so to speak.

A neutral cartridge? IMHO there is not such a think, although forty years ago it would be synonymous with a Shure V15 in a SME3009 arm ... As far as I remember, at that time moving coils were sometimes considered as a departure from neutrality, due to the extra excitement and detail they brought to LP reproduction compared to moving magnets. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) BTW, didn't Mark Levinson bring out such a device a few years ago within his Cello line....didn't seem to catch on too well, but the benefit would seem to be obvious.

I owned the ML Audio Palette - unfortunately I soon found I was not listening to music anymore, I was playing with the six wheels all the time ...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
A neutral cartridge? IMHO there is not such a think, although forty years ago it would be synonymous with a Shure V15 in a SME3009 arm ... As far as I remember, at that time moving coils were sometimes considered as a departure from neutrality, due to the extra excitement and detail they brought to LP reproduction compared to moving magnets. :)

Things haven't changed much since then Micro. I find the 3012-R & a good MM cartridge still more neutral than any MC I've tried but that doesn't mean that they're bad or wrong. I generally find that even the most neutral MC cartridges have some additive qualities but since it's a combination I can't tell you wether it's from the transformer or cartridge. Personally I find it much easier to identify a cartridge as "Natural" than "Neutral" which pleasantly opens the doors to enjoying a variety of different cartridges at all kinds of price points.

Hello All

IMO don't run after a so called "Neutral" cartridge which might never sound that way in your system, IME a "Natural" cartridge with some subtle beauty to it's character is more satisfying long term. I know nothing about your arm or the rest of your system to make any recommendations and the forward sound you describe can be the phono cable too unless you know it well.

david

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Hi DDK

Interesting what you say about MM's - very similar to this link:
http://www.regonaudio.com/Stanton881AudioTechnicaATML70.html

As it happens I have a Pickering XSV4000 (it came with a turntable I bought) I found it to be utterly enlightening - it has none of the airhead MC magic I get from my Transfiguration - but is that false??

I am still dicing on which deck to place my new arm - it is highly likely to go into a Sony TTS 8000, or alternatively (if it is fixed a JVC QL10/tt101) I am putting together a super plinth at present
Phono Vendetta SCP2a - LAvardin IT amp - Yamaha NS 1000m speakers - Nordost Heimdall 2 speaker cables - LAvardin interconnects

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi DDK

Interesting what you say about MM's - very similar to this link:
http://www.regonaudio.com/Stanton881AudioTechnicaATML70.html

As it happens I have a Pickering XSV4000 (it came with a turntable I bought) I found it to be utterly enlightening - it has none of the airhead MC magic I get from my Transfiguration - but is that false??

I am still dicing on which deck to place my new arm - it is highly likely to go into a Sony TTS 8000, or alternatively (if it is fixed a JVC QL10/tt101) I am putting together a super plinth at present
Phono Vendetta SCP2a - LAvardin IT amp - Yamaha NS 1000m speakers - Nordost Heimdall 2 speaker cables - LAvardin interconnects

Given your system and speakers I'd try the Pickering first and then try it against something with more body like an Ortofon SL-15 and dump the Nordost! That Nordost is on the thin and nonmusical side of things, a very poor match for fine monitor speakers like your Yamaha.

david

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Hi David

I am not familiar with the Ortofon SL15 - are they currently in production?

thanks

Lohan

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David

I am not familiar with the Ortofon SL15 - are they currently in production?

thanks

Lohan

Hi Lohan,

SL15 is vintage Ortofon, I didn't think you'd mind given your system and that they're not that difficult to find otherwise I can make current productions recommendations based on your budget. Typically the value leaders are Denon, AT and Ortofon and then we go on up from there.

David

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Hi David

I have seen an NOS example for around 1000. I am not entirely certain about budget as yet. I may try and source an SL15 as I have a soft spot for mixing vintage and modern in my system. BTW - just ordered an FR 64S - maybe that may house an arm...

dear oh dear I may end up with a multi arm table LOL

thanks

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David

I have seen an NOS example for around 1000. I am not entirely certain about budget as yet. I may try and source an SL15 as I have a soft spot for mixing vintage and modern in my system. BTW - just ordered an FR 64S - maybe that may house an arm...

dear oh dear I may end up with a multi arm table LOL

thanks

That's ballpark price for a good NOS sample but you know with vintage prices can vary drastically, get the type with built in transformer. I'm looking for a tt to accommodate 6 arms, there's never enough of a good thing :)!

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I owned the ML Audio Palette - unfortunately I soon found I was not listening to music anymore, I was playing with the six wheels all the time ...

That's audiophile OCD. How did it sound though

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing