Oh no, not Again, Amir

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Just wanted to post this to put an end to Amir's mistakes in taking measurements - I sent this to Alex (uptone) as he has been sucked into that Uptone ISO-Regen thread on ASR

"If I was still allowed to post I would put up this note from the AP knowledge base.
"Recommended Test System Grounding"
which specifically shows that Amir is doing his testing incorrectly & neither he nor all the pseudo-EEs know enough to do this

Diagram of analyzer in center with grounds radiating out to the switchers.
star-ideal.png
"Audio Precision strongly recommends connecting the chassis ground of each device directly to the ground of the test instrument via wires having as low an impedance as possible. This technique is often referred to as “ground bonding” or “chassis bonding.”

Diagram of ground from analyzer to first switcher, and then daisy-chaining all the others.
bus-grounding.png
"We do not recommend bus grounding (daisy chaining), where several devices are serially connected to a low-impedance conductor called a “ground bus.” The resistance in each leg of the chain puts the devices at different ground potentials, and is not as effective as star grounding."

What can one say? It seems that all the pseudo- EE's at that place collectively are bereft of the knowledge about how to do simple measurements
Someone who owns the Ap for how many years now? & "bought one of the first APs" (actually Sony bought it, he didn't) & claims to have been doing measurements for what >15 years & yet doesn't know this basic technique for optimal measurement - one has to ask questions.

All this would normally be put down to lack of knowledge & understanding about what he's doing & how to use the AP for measurements but the bit that is in excusable is that he has used this flawed technique to take flawed measurements & to then castigate many products from manufacturers, declaring them as ineffectual or detrimental.

He has been told by many, on many occasions that his measurement technique is flawed - did he ever look into this or check his results against others? It would seem not. Did he ever check the AP knowledge base for information (it wasn't difficult to find for me)? It would seem not.
The arrogance to continue with this flawed approach & continue to make declarations about products based on this flawed approach continued & will possibly will continue. Frankly anybody who boasts as Amir does about his equipment & measurements & who doesn't know the surrounding documentation about the use of such equipment is ................. I'll leave you to fill this bit in because there are so many things that could be said

Let this be the marker post to refer to whenever his flawed measurements are presented again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amir

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
You should include this too No sense not giving the whole story

Combination Star/Bus

Diagram of grounds radiating from analyzer to four switchers, and then a small jumper from each to another switcher.
When the serial links are very short, the combination star/bus grounding configuration can simplify connections while providing good grounding performance.

Rob:)

Attachments

• star-w-bond.png
    star-w-bond.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 370

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Sure, it's there to be read by those interested & pictures too! :)

switchers.png

i pointed out to Amir many months ago that the back of his AP analyser has a chassis ground screw marked with GND symbol AFAIR & asked him what did he think it was for
But all I got was tumbleweed :)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
That's all very interesting, but I find it inappropriate to post this on a forum where Amir cannot defend himself because he is banned.

In any case, I am still grateful to Amir for teaching me important things about digital theory which, in fact, still seemed to be correct last time I checked...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We have been happy and peaceful without pseudo science debates since a few months ago, why coming back to such subject?

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Guys, there is a place for "good" measurements in audio - they are actually pretty important
The damage that "bad" measurements do is untold

This also has a bearing on the ground strapping from chassis to chassis that RogerD has implemented on his system
I like to learn, like Al M. & like to investigate what's really going on deep in our audio systems but I search for the real truth.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
That's all very interesting, but I find it inappropriate to post this on a forum where Amir cannot defend himself because he is banned.

In any case, I am still grateful to Amir for teaching me important things about digital theory which, in fact, still seemed to be correct last time I checked...

He has no problem replying by proxy on ASR if he has anything to say!
The AP knowledge base note shows his lack of proper measurement technique which I expect he will defend on ASR

Do you not find his deriding of products based on his incorrect measurement techniques, a problem?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Yes, why bother addressing it as an "Amir" subject, when it is a subject all on it's own that doesn't have to include jabbing Amir, but rather just including him as necessary to explain the POV of the actual electrical things happening.

I say that even though I find it really amusing that Amir will measure something correctly, see the evident results that tell the story, and claim there is nothing there... etc. As amusing as it can be, I suggest reforming this topic. There's no reason to sink to ASR levels.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I posted it as a reference to Amir because he is doing damage with his misinformation & I find this the greater problem, not his lack of knowledge

All we have to do is look on the Iso-regen on ASR at a new member's first post
"Great thread Amir. Thanks for opening the eyes for at least some of us. I was just about to pull a trigger on the ISO-R but after looking at the results, I don't intend to, even though Uptone has a 30 day return policy. "

And look at the likes he receives for that post from 7 members - the usual suspects including Amir, himself.

So are we supposed to sit idly by & let this sort of damaging misinformation to be perpetrated simply because that forum has filtered out any dissenters?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Microstrip hit the nail on the head above!

I agree Mr Keny needs to desist with this vendetta--Amir cannot defend himself --besides only Mr Keny seems infatuated with this subject

-ho hum frankly:(

BruceD

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
He has no problem replying by proxy on ASR if he has anything to say!
The AP knowledge base note shows his lack of proper measurement technique which I expect he will defend on ASR

Do you not find his deriding of products based on incorrect measurement techniques, a problem?

John,
Again I have to disagree with you - IMHO wars with other audio forums should not be part of WBF.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing