Overland Expeditioners

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I learned recently about a hobby -- for some it rises to a lifestyle -- of off-road capable mobile homes which allow you to go just about anywhere in the world. Some people travel throughout North America, and others travel across continents.

The two primary manufacturers of these vehicles in the United States are Earthroamer in Colorado and Global Expedition Vehicles in Missouri. The Earthroamers are built on Ford F-550 truck chassis:

image.jpg

The Global Expedition Vehicles are often built on even larger platforms such as the Mercedes Unimog U500:

image.jpg

And for people who are more into doomsday prepping this is the best bug-out vehicle I have found:

image.jpg

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
There are less expensive ways to get and camp around than these vehicles, but they're certainly attractive. It's been a while now but for years I used to go island hopping, scuba diving and beach camping in SE Asia. Thinking of the family and doing the same in Lake Powell in late October, I know people who've been doing it for years and still haven't seen all the sites there.

http://www.lakepowell.com
david

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There are less expensive ways to get and camp around than these vehicles, but they're certainly attractive. It's been a while now but for years I used to go island hopping, scuba diving and beach camping in SE Asia. Thinking of the family and doing the same in Lake Powell in late October, I know people who've been doing it for years and still haven't seen all the sites there.

http://www.lakepowell.com
david

don't forget to send us all a post card of your travels :)

Not a life style that I can cozy up to

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

I have ? this book:

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Don't forget EarthCruiser rigs made in Bend, Oregon. Built on a 4x4 Fuso truck chassis, and designed to be able to ship inside a container. I love the ability to get off pavement with these rigs. I know many places here in the western USA I'd love to visit with one of these rigs. Granted, a nice 4x4 with camper can get you there for a lot less.

64_Alpha_arrives_KL.JPG

Notice they let air out of the tires so it would fit!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^That last one Bob would be at home in a George Miller film.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Not a life style that I can cozy up to

I totally dig the idea... but my wife, well, I like to say she's not a 'back to the land" kind of girl, much more a 'back to the Four Seasons" kind of girl. We're headed to Napa for a week of bike touring soon, and lets just say we won't be in the cheap seats (bless her heart!)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Most people just get a Subaru with a small lift, backpacks, hiking boots, tent, and sleeping bag for the weather they expect. Ya, you can go camping for a bit less...

These things beg the question, how much of a disconnect are they from the nature you want to experience?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Most people just get a Subaru with a small lift, backpacks, hiking boots, tent, and sleeping bag for the weather they expect. Ya, you can go camping for a bit less...

These things beg the question, how much of a disconnect are they from the nature you want to experience?

Yeah, you can go smaller, no doubt. But most of these expedition rigs are super insulated and can be used 4 seasons. I personally hate the idea of being storm bound somewhere and spending several days in a tent. I've been sea kayaking on the west coast of Vancouver Island and storm bound for several days of 40-50 knot winds, sideways rain, tough to keep a camp fire burning. Spending all day in a tiny little tent sucks. Nice for sleeping, sucks for anything else. Granted, sea kayaking is a little diffferent, but having a rig that'll go just about anywhere and be a place to hang when weather turns foul, seems like a great idea. Most travel trailers can't be pulled off road unless the surface is reasonable, and most campers are too big and bulky. Its a lifestyle for many folks, like living aboard a sailboat.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yeah, you can go smaller, no doubt. But most of these expedition rigs are super insulated and can be used 4 seasons. I personally hate the idea of being storm bound somewhere and spending several days in a tent. I've been sea kayaking on the west coast of Vancouver Island and storm bound for several days of 40-50 knot winds, sideways rain, tough to keep a camp fire burning. Spending all day in a tiny little tent sucks. Nice for sleeping, sucks for anything else. Granted, sea kayaking is a little diffferent, but having a rig that'll go just about anywhere and be a place to hang when weather turns foul, seems like a great idea. Most travel trailers can't be pulled off road unless the surface is reasonable, and most campers are too big and bulky. Its a lifestyle for many folks, like living aboard a sailboat.

That is a bit of an extended circumstance. And there's NO shortage of 4 season campers w/tents. The thing is you have to get good gear, not stuff from Cabelas.

I can see some appeal in an interesting offroad vehicle. I'm just not sure you get the "peek" effect of facing the empirical world; they don't breed as many situations that form growth. I guess it is largely a question of camping vs. mobile living, in a sense. Those can be pretty different goals but I have no doubt they get confusingly mixed up with these things.

There are purposes where I believe they are very appropriate. If I travelled as a landscape photographer that would be a great way to go (although I don't think hardly any photographers could afford one).

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I've had my time sleeping on the ground... a comfy bed is now my preference. I've ridden across the continent N-S, and E-W on my bicycle, with less than 20lbs of gear. I know about good gear, travelling lite. And while the offroad rigs appeal to me, my wife wants us to get an Airstream. (e.g., we'll be getting an Airstream!). If it gets my wife out with me, I'm happy to go with what she likes.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Hey, that's not so bad; they're pretty neat. I have no real objection to anything, just like to think on the subjects.

The secret people don't know about sleeping on (mostly, maybe an airpad) the ground is to dig a hole for the hip.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing