Tesla Model 3 | Tesla seeks $1.5 billion junk bonds issue to fund Model 3 production

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I haven’t seen a Model 3 yet, but I can’t turn around without bumping into a Model S.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Nice read, thanks. I would probably already have a model 3 to add to my model S, but I need a towing vehicle. My old Volvo suffices for now. Once my trailer towing needs go away, another Tesla. The only car to own. Everything else is a horse-and buggy IMO. I laugh as I watch them all disappear in my rear view mirror, and I'm not even speeding.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
LOL. I was wondering when someone would tear one apart - its a POS. The # of warranty repairs is going to be staggering.

https://markets.businessinsider.com...icant-fit-and-finish-issues-2018-8-1027480762

There have already been tear-downs. The battery and systems are all modular on the Model 3 compared to the Model S. It's a work of art. Everyone I have talked to that has one loves it. Some have both S and 3 and they even prefer the 3 for around town driving. It will be low maintenance, just like the Model S, maybe even lower.

ICE cars, now there's a POS.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
There have already been tear-downs. The battery and systems are all modular on the Model 3 compared to the Model S. It's a work of art. Everyone I have talked to that has one loves it. Some have both S and 3 and they even prefer the 3 for around town driving. It will be low maintenance, just like the Model S, maybe even lower.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

What's an ICE car?

I have a model 3 on order - really looking forward to driving it!

Cheers, Joe

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
there are currently 110 Chinese EV car makers chasing that and the global EV market. and the Chinese subsidies are staggering. they are all shooting for just below the Tesla Model 3 price point. and a few of them will be bringing product to the USA in 12 to 24 months.

and then there are all the established manufacturers bringing their EV products too.

going to be tough sledding for Tesla.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
going to be tough sledding for Tesla

as well as all the manufacturers of ICE's.

My guess is that almost all of the major car manufacturers will be making their own version of the EV including the major sports cars

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/16897770/ferrari-electric-supercar-suv-marchionne-tesla

https://electrek.co/2018/08/23/porsche-taycan-electric-feel-like-a-porsche/

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ic-car-around-2019-could-be-suv-sedan-or-both

This is the future now Mike

I'm betting Honda will as well

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
there are currently 110 Chinese EV car makers chasing that and the global EV market. and the Chinese subsidies are staggering. they are all shooting for just below the Tesla Model 3 price point. and a few of them will be bringing product to the USA in 12 to 24 months.

and then there are all the established manufacturers bringing their EV products too.

Competition = good thing!

One aspect of Tesla's products that drew me to them is their supercharger network. I think this is added value that will take time for others to replicate - in this regards, Tesla has first mover advantage.

This is by no means a barrier to entry but if you want an EV today with some assurance that you can make long trips on it, Tesla is a good way to go.

I would actually have preferred to wait and purchase an Audi eTron but it's going to be available this year and they are just starting to build out a charger network...

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Maybe, but Elons strategy all along was to kick-start the EV industry. He definitely did that. That is why he made all of his patents available to anyone. It's all about slowing Global Warming for Elon, and myself. I have been breathing thick smoke for a month and I'm sick of it. Flooding in the US somewhere every week. Hawaii threatened with Hurricane. We need to get all of these toxic ICE cars off the road.

BTW, I am seeing more adapters for Tesla destination chargers so that Chevy Bolt and Volt and others can use them. Superchargers are only for Tesla.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
One aspect of Tesla's products that drew me to them is their supercharger network. I think this is added value that will take time for others to replicate - in this regards, Tesla has first mover advantage.

This is by no means a barrier to entry but if you want an EV today with some assurance that you can make long trips on it, Tesla is a good way to go.

Waiting an hour to charge sucks. EVs need to get to 10 minutes to be successful

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

You do your own cause a disservice because of your rhetoric and your attitude. Maybe you should look at how you come across to others, you're exactly what the far right is talking about and who they disparage as being an out-of-touch condescending liberal elitist. You're so far left you have the same kind of blinders on the far right does, and you're both too ignorant to realize it.

This is said as someone who hates the current administration and supports renewable energy to the point I got an engineering degree and worked for the world's largest wind turbine manufacturer. As someone who supports clean energy and thinks the 1st priority of mankind should be reducing the impact of climate change, please either keep quiet or get a little more realistic and cut out the ridiculous condescending attitude, you're doing more harm than good. People will believe and do the opposite of what you say because of your attitude regardless of facts. Think about it, please.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Keep sipping the Kool-Aid.

If this was GM, the entire world would make fun of it and run. Tesla gets a free pass at making a totally crappy car. 55k for loads of manufacturing defects - what value. I mean, missing bolts, panels not lining up. Elon needed to hire a real production head but decided he knew better- oops.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Keep sipping the Kool-Aid.

If this was GM, the entire world would make fun of it and run. Tesla gets a free pass at making a totally crappy car. 55k for loads of manufacturing defects - what value. I mean, missing bolts, panels not lining up. Elon needed to hire a real production head but decided he knew better- oops.

Agreed. Once this car fully rolls out to the market, he'd need dirty Saudi oil money to bail him out of the quality issues.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
as well as all the manufacturers of ICE's.

My guess is that almost all of the major car manufacturers will be making their own version of the EV including the major sports cars

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/16897770/ferrari-electric-supercar-suv-marchionne-tesla

https://electrek.co/2018/08/23/porsche-taycan-electric-feel-like-a-porsche/

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ic-car-around-2019-could-be-suv-sedan-or-both

This is the future now Mike

I'm betting Honda will as well

it's still (1) a small slice of the marketplace, and (2) not profitable for any manufacturer short massive subsidies. the established manufacturers are doing it to protect share, and at the expense of overall profits. newcomers count on subsidies both to build factories and for research, and then tax credits to consumers legislated from government.

it's all smoke and mirrors with no possible underlying economic basis for likely 5+ years. Wall Street or overseas VC funny money and everyone's taxes.

with Honda, who is all in right now, it's robbing all the profits (and we are feeling the effects) to fuel Electrification.

smugness from EV fans is based on a house of cards. the first (next) ill wind will blow it down.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing