Tesla Model 3 | Tesla seeks $1.5 billion junk bonds issue to fund Model 3 production

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I keep track of Tesla. I talked to owners and neighbors. Few months ago I had a conversation about winter driving and all that jazz with a great great man. Yesterday I've read this article, which summed up my discussions of the last few months. Of course, after reading that informative article some thoughts will come to mind regarding other seasons when owners are driving their Tesla. We are not limited to one car only, some people have cars and trucks for each season. I do, but no electric car, yet.
If you live in the mountains where snow is abundant and skiing is one of your passions a 4x4 vehicle with good heat is the way to go. If you live in a nice climate near the ocean coast line year round an electric convertible car is the way to go. ...A Harley too.

Anyway, here she is, a short but good read:
http://driving.ca/tesla/auto-news/news/314908

What do you think, owners and non-owners, how cold can it get where you live and is Tesla your main transportation year round?
___

Extra: A sum up of the latest on the Model 3, in particular the manufacturing of its battery.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/01/26/tesla-faces-automation-issues-model-3-delays-report/

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I keep track of Tesla. I talked to owners and neighbors. Few months ago I had a conversation about winter driving and all that jazz with a great great man. Yesterday I've read this article, which summed up my discussions of the last few months. Of course, after reading that informative article some thoughts will come to mind regarding other seasons when owners are driving their Tesla. We are not limited to one car only, some people have cars and trucks for each season. I do, but no electric car, yet.
If you live in the mountains where snow is abundant and skiing is one of your passions a 4x4 vehicle with good heat is the way to go. If you live in a nice climate near the ocean coast line year round an electric convertible car is the way to go. ...A Harley too.

Anyway, here she is, a short but good read:
http://driving.ca/tesla/auto-news/news/314908

What do you think, owners and non-owners, how cold can it get where you live and is Tesla your main transportation year round?
___

Extra: A sum up of the latest on the Model 3, in particular the manufacturing of its battery.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/01/26/tesla-faces-automation-issues-model-3-delays-report/

I don't know anything about this article, but I'm a 4-wheel drive Model S owner and this is the best snow and ice car on the road, period. I live in the mountains, over 3300 feet elevation. Last winter, we had 4-5 foot of snow on the ground.

I have had SUV's and 4X4 trucks follow me through icy and snow-packed intersections and I watch them spinout and go off the road behind me. Nothing holds the road like a Tesla. Most of the folks that come up here from Portland and Seattle in their Teslas don't even bother to put snow tires on.

I have another set of rims with Nokian snow tires on them. These are simply the best snow tires ever designed. You never know you are driving on snow. I simply change the wheels in my driveway with a floor jack every year.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
You balance your wheels too?

I put them in the Tesla and take them to Costco where they mount the tires, fill with nitrogen and balance them.

The heat inside the Tesla, when it's below zero outside, it takes energy from the battery and reduces the range.

Sure. I notice that it takes me about 100 miles of range in the winter to do what it takes 90 miles in the summer. Not significant for me.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
For testing I don't mind freezing. For real use the Tesla Model 3 I'm sure is perfectly fine for the majority of its owners. ...Any season.

The seat heaters have 3 temps and they help a lot. The biggest problem I have is keeping the dog cool in the backseat in the summer. Vents are too small to the back seats IMO.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I saw the new Tesla 3 today at my local mall...well I didn't actually get close to it since there was a long line to get up close and personal. Personally, I'm not that impressed with the fit and finish of these vehicles. An example, at the same event was a new Model X...priced at just north of $90K. Looking at the body panels...several were out of alignment and glue joints were popping out!! Come on, this on a $90K+ vehicle.... not for me!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The seat heaters have 3 temps and they help a lot. The biggest problem I have is keeping the dog cool in the backseat in the summer. Vents are too small to the back seats IMO.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

That's for the Model 3?

It scares me a little because some of my best friends are . . . dogs, cats and bunnies.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
That's for the Model 3?

It scares me a little because some of my best friends are . . . dogs, cats and bunnies.

It's a model S. It's never too hot for the dog. It's just that I have to be 68 degrees in the front seat to get 71 degrees in the backseat for the dog. The rear vents could be larger.

I can turn on the climate control and leave it on for the dog when we shop etc.. What other car does that?

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's a model S. It's never too hot for the dog. It's just that I have to be 68 degrees in the front seat to get 71 degrees in the backseat for the dog. The rear vents could be larger.

I can turn on the climate control and leave it on for the dog when we shop etc.. What other car does that?

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

That's what I thought...Model S.

Now that's a good thing; having the climate control on while shopping.
With a regular car you can't do that, indeed.
It must be terribly painful ...

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
That's what I thought...Model S.

Now that's a good thing; having the climate control on while shopping.
With a regular car you can't do that, indeed.
It must be terribly painful ...

It can be deadly to dogs and small children in the summer time. Not sufficient to leave windows open.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It can be deadly to dogs and small children in the summer time. Not sufficient to leave windows open.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

In the summer time when the temperature is excruciatingly hot, we read about sad stories with children and pets left in the vehicles while their owners are shopping.
It is truly sad, so when you mentioned that you can leave the air conditioning on in your Tesla I thought that was a super positive thing. You cannot leave a car running on gas, it warms the planet, melts the ice caps and pollutes the air that humans breathe, us. Then we need to see doctors, pay for medication, and hope we can survive another year. Our planet is not cooling off and warming up @ the same time as some people might believe and say, the scientific facts are different.

Tesla or other electric cars, this is a better way of living to get rid of the oil and gas. We have been living long enough with those cancerous energies, time is up. The rich oil magnates have a responsibility to invest in health with their wealth...my way of thinking.

Steve, bravo for driving an electric vehicle. You are a caring person.
___

On the latest news; what does Apple have in common with Tesla?
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-apple-should-buy-tesla-2018-1

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm following this recently, and today Elon replied more eloquently, with less anger and disagreement. He has to, because he cannot fight a losing battle against car experts.

https://qz.com/1285174/consumer-rep...k-to-fix-teslas-model-3-braking-software/amp/
___

Prior to today (two days ago):
https://www.consumerreports.org/hyb...lls-short-of-consumer-reports-recommendation/
_____

Extra:

I've read this few days ago and I was surprised to say the least.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-018-0152-x
___

“If these countries … are true about using [electric vehicles] as a tool for decarbonizing transportation, there needs to be a systematic revision of their policies and strategies to harmonize them and create a level-playing field, where the EV is a fair option in comparison to a petrol or diesel car,” De Rubens, a business and technology doctoral fellow at Aarhus University, said. “We cannot keep favoring petrol and diesel vehicles and expect that decarbonization … targets will be achieved.”

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/dealerships-dismiss-electric-vehicles/

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The cost of driving an electric Tesla Model 3 has just gone up and up ...
http://business.financialpost.com/t...sla-moves-mass-market-model-3-beyond-masses-2

Why not just buy the Model S?
https://www.caranddriver.com/tesla/model-s

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
It is still listed as $35K on the website. The $35K version is a car available late 2018 and for warmer climates. Anywhere there is snow, you want 4-wheel drive.

The average cost of a car in the US is $36K in 2017, so if the M3 becomes $45K I would not be surprised.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing