Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilson Audio Factory Tour (or how we got WAMMed!)

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Because of the extreme accuracy of the settings in the WAMM, David is going through the trouble of trying different amps, and seeing how their group delay affects the settings on the WAMM, so when a WAMM is installed in a client's, he'll have a baseline for the settings, given the amps being used.
    He's had a number of amps in there (I forgot which now...), and the Nagra was one of them...
    very cool. In many respects, it seems like how TA apparently take in equipment, measure it, and then record that for when they need to calibrate equipment for their cables. But perhaps much more so given that it appears amp to speaker interaction is hugely important...and why (assuming a designer can design amps just as well as speakers)...having the amp expressly designed for the speaker is apparently ideal. Else an amp has to be designed to drive all manner of different loads.

Here David is essentially allowing calibration within his speaker to accept/finetune to different amps.
    Speaker: Wilson X1/Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amps: CJ GAT/Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: SC/IC:TA Opus Gen5/OpusMM2 PC:PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    16 Isolation 'Sandwiches': Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground/Shield: 4 x 16A Lines w/ Furutech Outlets / Burmester948/NordostQX4 / Tripoint (TroySig+Thor) / Entreq (Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap)
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex7308 Mullard(6922 6CA4 6X4) TeleE88CC

Alex,

Thanks for sharing.. since you carry both yg and Wilson.. out of these flagship speakers. Have you heard the Sonja xv? If so how would you compare to the wamm?

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdp632 View Post
    Alex,

Thanks for sharing.. since you carry both yg and Wilson.. out of these flagship speakers. Have you heard the Sonja xv? If so how would you compare to the wamm?
    great and fun question...i am not sure it will be easy for Alex to answer given that, at any level, but certainly at this level, setup, room, equipment...all can make remarkable differences. Still, sure is a fun question!!!

maybe the other question might be...based on what he's heard...which of the two would he keep if given a choice (for free so we eliminate price)...and why?
    Speaker: Wilson X1/Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amps: CJ GAT/Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: SC/IC:TA Opus Gen5/OpusMM2 PC:PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    16 Isolation 'Sandwiches': Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground/Shield: 4 x 16A Lines w/ Furutech Outlets / Burmester948/NordostQX4 / Tripoint (TroySig+Thor) / Entreq (Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap)
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex7308 Mullard(6922 6CA4 6X4) TeleE88CC

Quote Originally Posted by Mdp632 View Post
    .. out of these flagship speakers. Have you heard the Sonja xv? If so how would you compare to the wamm?
    Interesting question. One needs to remember that the YG's are appx 1/3rd the price of the Wamm. That money buys a lot of concert tickets!

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    All I can say is that what I heard there at David's was the single best setup I've ever heard, and I make no secret about it. It was just a memorable presentation. But of course, the setup included not only the WAMM, but other pieces of great equipment. How would Sonja XVs sound in that particular room, with that particular setup, is, of course, something I wonder myself, but I have no way of knowing. By the same token, I was also wondering how would the WAMM setup sounds with a different amp, or a different DAC, for instance. Or the Kronos. But again, there's no way of ever knowing that...

We understand the dichotomy Wilson/YG, and I think it's healthy for us to carry both. Each line with their own merits and attributes, that will reward in different ways.

As Davey put it, it's pointless to draw comparisons with a speaker that costs a third of the other. If you go by reviews and people's reaction in general, both speakers have been unanimously raved, which means they'll deliver for those who can afford either. Now, there is that other speaker manufacturer with a $650k speaker, if I'm not mistaken... And I seem to recall the reviews and public reaction on it were less than stellar...

cheers,
    alex
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
    Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12