Detroit

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

We saw this movie yesterday and as most know it is a documentation of the riots in Detroit in 1967 leading to the murder of 3 African American young men by corrupt police with white supremacist attitudes

Rated only 70% on mrqe.com with an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes this film IMO is riveting and is a must see on the big screenThe movie was a lengthy 143 minutes but not once did I gaze at my watch. Parts of the story have been fictionalized based on testimony of others but the story must be seen. Excellent the way the film was edited and the story told. Parts are pretty gut wrenching

Cast: John Boyega, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter, Ben O'Toole, Hannah Murray, Anthony Mackie, Jacob Latimore, Algee Smith, Joseph David-Jones, Kaitlyn Dever, Jason Mitchell, John Krasinski, Jeremy Strong, Laz Alonso
Director: Kathryn Bigelow
Rating: R
Running Time: 143 min.
Synopsis:
A police raid in Detroit in 1967 results in one of the largest citizen uprisings in United States history.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That sounds like an important film to see Steve. Historic films based on true events are educational when constructed accurately. This would be in my alley.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We saw Detroit yesterday. Although this was not a graphically violent film the tension during the scenes in the Algiers Motel was palpable. It made those 40 minutes or so seem much longer. I think most will leave the movie frustrated and angry.

My wife had some bad dreams last night.

I was 18 when the riots occurred. I remember riding my motorcycle down Grand River avenue towards the Downtown area during the daylight hours to have a look. I saw many of the burned out storefronts once I passed Livernois but decided to turn back around before reaching Warren Ave. when I didn't see any welcoming looks from those on the streets, the police or the National Guard in jeeps with machine guns mounted in rear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing