LINN Klimax DS3 vs Lumin S1

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
I think there's a lot to be said for the concept of Linn's Network Player.

And Linn's Kazoo is the result of decades of work. It works very well indeed.

If I think about my situation, between my DAC and server I have 5 boxes (including three PSUs). That means lots of cables and rack space.

Annoyingly Roon only supports Tidal when I prefer to use Qobuz for a number of reasons. My Totaldac d1 server will play Qobuz but this is though LMS/iPeng, and switching to this from Roon generally takes ages as I have to communicate with the Cubox computer inside the d1 server via a web interface and it can be very slow. Then even once LMS is activated, iPeng can take a while to work. It can be clunky and confusing.

The result of all this is that I don't like switching much between the 2.

Kazoo on the other hand integrates both Tidal and Qobuz, not to mention other services.

Guillaume

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The golden gate dac is r2r pcm and chipless dsd. 2 engines seamlessly in one box. It is not cheap...but costs faaar less than some of the names mentioned in this thread.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Golden Gate is a DAC though, yes? Does it behave as a streamer? One of my goals is to eliminate a computer from the digital flow.

I am somewhat biased towards companies with long success in the marketplace, as long term service and support are important considerations. And Linn, with upgrade to new Katalist, gave prior owners their old parts back in a different housing/box. That speaks highly of their level of appreciation to owners of their products. However, overall performance/price ratio are largest factors for me.

Hi I have an update. There will be a roon renderer within the Lampi where you can just plug in the Ethernet, adding a streamer is optional. I need to get this update for my own

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
The Lumin S-1 was just recognized by TAS as a Golden Ear component. After several years, I remain very happy with mine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing