Ethernet cable

pikachu

Sep 6, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Yes the Wireworld Starlight is really good. Their lesser priced Chroma is actually very good value. It easily beat a long run of Audioquest Cinnamon.

I use a 8m run of Chroma between my wall jack and a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter connected to my Mac Mini - and then a 1m run of Starlight between the built in Ethernet adapter on the Mac Mini and a Sonore microRendu. (A bridged connection sounds better).

Agreed. Wireworld Starlight hands down. Chroma like you suggested isn't bad but Wireworld wins in the long run.

George K

Jul 26, 2012
I like also the WW Starlight. I have a second one running from router to media player and then my Oled Tv and the difference in picture quality justifies the investment.
Also using WW Chroma7 in other connections, it has beaten the Supra Cat8, blujeans and acoustic revive easily. Hands down Chroma is the best value for money LAN cable out there.

I want to try the platinum or goebel but I'm afraid the chance I might like them over the Starlight.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
+1 for the AQ Diamond!

pke10000

Jan 22, 2018
In my experience, Aim NA7 and Notdost Heimdal2 were good.
Aim Na7 has good bass and fantastic dynamic.
Nordost Heimdal2 has good treble and clean.

mribob

May 8, 2017
Agoura, CA
I have the WW Starlight, and Platinum, but recently purchased the top end Sablon ethernet cable, it bested the WW Starlight, and was very close to the Platinum but at lower price point. I agree, cables matter.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I just ordered Starlight CAT8 to try, comparing it to inexpensive CAT7 from my Router to my Overdrive SX Ethernet DAC. I use a short cable to a EMO En-70e isolator and then a longer cable to the DAC.

I'm not convinced that this cable upgrade will make any difference, but I could be wrong. Still teasing out the sensitivities in the Ethernet chain.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Steve if the ethernet cable makes a difference between router and switch don't you think there would also be a difference between the computer and the router after all thats where the signal originates from.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Steve if the ethernet cable makes a difference between router and switch don't you think there would also be a difference between the computer and the router after all thats where the signal originates from.

I doubt it. There is packet buffering in the router. It's the driver in the router that matters the most I think.

I've used really long CAT5e generic cables for the computer. Does not seem to matter.

Steve N.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I've been using the Supra ethernet cable for many years and have been very happy with it until I recently purchased the Sablon Audio Panatela LAN cable. It removes a significant amount of noise from the equation, and renders the music infinitely more enjoyable. I was extremely skeptical before trying it - I already had an upgraded ethernet cable - but the full bodied, yet extremely resolved sound with a see-throughness I hadn't experienced in my system beggars belief.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Same here. I used Audioquest Vodka. Now with the Sablon ethernet cabe it is much better.
Incredible silence.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I've also experienced a decent uplift in sound quality using the Sablon ethernet cable that Mark sent me. Like others, I was originally skeptical, but it definitely improves fine level detail, and adds a bit more to the soundstage of my system. As upgrades go, it's good VFM too.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Am happy to circulate a demo cable should other open-minded ethernet sceptics want to give it a whirl. Either PM or email me to arrange.

Bruskie

Jan 18, 2020
Colorado
Very, Very late to this thread. Are you still circulating any demo ethernet cables Mark?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Sorry but I only circulate Bocchino terminated cables on demo as they don’t carry return privileges. The ethernet does, though I have only ever had three back from the >1000 sold. Rather like Goldilock’s porridge, one found it too thin, another too thick and the other didn’t like the packaging.

Last edited:
Reactions: John T and orange55

Bruskie

Jan 18, 2020
Colorado
Thank you Mark. If I decide to go with it, I will go to your website.
Bruce

George K

Jul 26, 2012
Waversa from Korea now has a really great LAN cable.
Substantially musical with defined and huge soundstage.
In my system has bettered similar Wireworld, Siltech, Audioquest, Melco, Sablon, etc.

Rare to find though.

And still the Wireworld Croma 8 is my go to cheap LAN cable for all around use and less than 100$. But not for main LAN cable.

Bruskie

Jan 18, 2020
Colorado

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing