Ethernet cable

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Can anyone recommend a network or cat 5 cable to go between the server and my DAC. I am willing to spend money but not 1000,s of dollars.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
The WireWorld are really good. Red, can't remember exact name.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
The WireWorld are really good. Red, can't remember exact name.

Yes the Wireworld Starlight is really good. Their lesser priced Chroma is actually very good value. It easily beat a long run of Audioquest Cinnamon.

I use a 8m run of Chroma between my wall jack and a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter connected to my Mac Mini - and then a 1m run of Starlight between the built in Ethernet adapter on the Mac Mini and a Sonore microRendu. (A bridged connection sounds better).

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Not sure of the length you need, however I would recommend you look to a higher specification cable since they have a far greater bandwidth courtesy of the lower noise conferred by more sophisticated shielding (the data pair wires are additionally individually shielded). They also use larger conductors so you will experience lower resistance / voltage drop.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I use jcat lan cable, it makes a difference compared to generic cable but don' t ask me why, I don' know:)
Probably because of less RMI / EMI trasmission to the server.
http://jplay.eu/jcat/

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hi Jeffy and good afternoon to you. Please offer us feedback on how it sounds. I am in the market for one....a 75 footer. Thanks.

Tom

Tecknik1

May 29, 2017
HCM VietNam
I have been using ethernet for over a year now and have tried WW Starlight, AQ Vodka, Diamond and most recently the Revelation Audio Cat 8 just for fun. WW Starlight being the cheapest of the group with he Diamond and Revelation Audio about the same price. I tried all of these cables at different points in my ethernet based system starting at the Router to Aqvox Switch, Switch to FMC , FMC to Server, Server to Dac. Its a close call between the AQ Diamond and Revelations Audio new Cat 8. ( I know about the bad rep Revelations Audio had for years ) but looking at the cable and literature whats it hurt to try but all give the nod to Rev. Audio over the Diamond due to quieter back grounds and resolution. AQ Vodka has the same attributes over the WW Starlight. When I purchased the WW the Platinum version wasn't released yet and I well try it someday.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hmmm, not personally a big fan of the end result as to what hits these ears with OC. I might reconsider where the modem is located and get a shorter run.

Thanks Bob.

Tom

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
When I purchased the WW the Platinum version wasn't released yet and I well try it someday.

I was able to compare the WW Platimun to the WW Starlight. The Platinum was more transparent and offered more spatial coherence. I found it difficult at the time to justify the price difference though. Definitely a case of diminishing returns. I do think though that it's worth auditioning the Platinum if one has a really optimized setup.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
I terminated 315 feet of CAT5e and compared to a WW and Nordost (12 and 3 foot) and no difference with a Cary Audio DMS-500 even when I ran the 315 generic CAT5e under a running microwave for a source of noise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing