Steve Wilson prog rock remixes/remasters, Part One: Yes "Relayer"

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Doing the comparison now, and I kinda prefer the SW remix at this point. It's much more relaxed, while the record is crisper, with a tipped up top-end that can be tiring, and very thin midrange. That, BTW, is how I remember this album (as well as "Going for the one"), and how some of the early CDs sounded like.
Not the new SW remix, though. Warm, warm, warm. Full bottom end, punchy drumming. It's no comparison, really, the SW remix is much, much better. Perhaps they're putting that out on vinyl as well? That could be worth trying...
Again, this is a run of the mill US pressing, could be that...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Alex. I guess my issue is that SW has made it TOO warm. But maybe I'm nitpicking. I am v much enjoying hearing much deeper into (thru) the mix, and there are moments which are revelatory. But some aspects still leave me scratching my head. I can only imagine how difficult, or challenging the choices were, for SW to prepare this remix.
My tt front end is soon to get reinstalled, it'll be fun comparing this to the Japanese vinyl which had become my go-to version.
---
Btw Alex, I think this is it for the SW Yes remixes.
The master tapes for Going For The One are lost, and Geoff Downes is reluctant to give his permission for Steve to work on Drama.
SW remix of 90125 would be fascinating.

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
FWIW, while I don't have an original pressing anymore, i think Steven's Relayer remix sounds better than the FridayMusic 180g LP reissue that came out a year or so ago. It was also MUCH better than the SACD version that way released as a part of the SACD box set (which was overall quite disappointing and a real bummer to those of us who purchased it given how many Yes titles Steven has since remixed).

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Steven remixes 90125, given his stated passion for progressive artists who were also able to be popular in the mainstream.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guys, then what am I not "getting"?
I'm a fan of SW's Porcupine Tree and solo material sound quality, have no real issues w the remixes I've heard so far ie Tull Aqualung and Warchild, and I like what I've heard of Yes Topographic.
But this Relayer warmth feels a little overdone at the expense of seat of pants dynamics, and I'm struggling to at all get on w the SW muted (to my ears) Moog/drums/Crotales interplay in the (previously high octane) instrumental intro to second track Sound Chaser.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Marc,

Honestly, I'd look elsewhere, not at the recording itself. I did play the entire thing (twice), and never noticed any softness. As I said, it is a warm remix, but that's a factor of the treble/midrange balance. Drums are still punchy, and with full texture.
Are you playing the CD version of the remix? Maybe that's why, since I'm doing the 24/96 extracted from the BD/DVD/whateveritwas. I don't think I have even ripped the CD out of my set, just the hi-res...

cheers,
alex

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just the lowly cd (disc one).
No capacity yet to download the HiRez.
Try the cd y'self and report back.
Maybe a good reason to go this direction in my setup?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
A quick listen, and subsequent look in iZotope RX, to SW's new album To The Bone reveals that he is back to a relatively heavy hand on the compressor, unfortunately much more noticeable than on Hand.Cannot.Erase

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing