Phono Switch Box or multi input phono stage

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Hi guys

I have an incurable bug - buying turntables. Thing is I am well pleased with my Vendetta SCP2A phono stage. Now I can't afford to keep buying more phono stages. I am dicing the question on:

1. Getting a high quality switch box, or
2. Buy a multi input phono stage

I personally would prefer the former, but has anyone here have any experience of this. Phono signals being notoriously delicate am I unrealistic to hope no signal degradation? Any recommendations?

thanks

Lohan

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Superb Phono Stage--I presume you know it inverts Phase

Good listening,

BruceD

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Yes - We've exchanged emails in the past about this:D

I must say that once I heard this stage I stopped searching elsewhere - I first had the EAR 834P, tested about another dozen (including the TEAD Groove), bought the Whest 0.20. I like a long term relationship with my equipment.

My problem is to improve what I have will take serious outlay and it may just be a question of different.

I am gonna be getting a dedicated 'room within a room' made in my loft as my next major upgrade.

The multiple decks is just perhaps a part of my love for beautifully engineered equipment: Amazon Model One; heavily modified Townshend Rock Elite; Lenco gL 75; EMT 950 (awaiting restoration); Sony TTS8000(awaiting completion of my super plinth); JVC QL 10 - (subject to repairs post UPS damage)

I find and understand the justification of different cartridges, decks etc - but phone stage??? The Vendetta really feels like as close to a final destination as I am likely to get.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I've had switching boxes made in the past they're handy and would use them again.

david

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I don't have a ground on my switch box and I do not have any issues. I just star ground all the cables together, and for me everything is quiet in that respect. Those Goldpoint's look good.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't have a ground on my switch box and I do not have any issues. I just star ground all the cables together, and for me everything is quiet in that respect. Those Goldpoint's look good.

Yup, pretty easy.

The Goldpoint uses a better switch than most things out there. It doesn't use relays that induce a tiny bit of noise. (Think 90% of ultra high end, relays)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Yup, pretty easy.

The Goldpoint uses a better switch than most things out there. It doesn't use relays that induce a tiny bit of noise. (Think 90% of ultra high end, relays)

Folsom
So would you say the Goldpoint is better, quieter and more transparent then the Manley Skipjack?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Electrically speaking yes, subjectively I cannot gurantee you would notice. I would choose the Goldpoint personally over the Manley. For HT I might go Manley for remote operation.

It is also nice not to have an extra walwart plugged in near a stereo.

The 47 labs might be nice too, haven't found any pics to confirm.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing