quad acoustical corner ribbon

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I write here even if i have to write in vintage,but could be more people can read here.

I am taking this old speaker ,like new,only 1000 was made,and production was made since 1959 to 1955
Owner will send to my home to listen before take
Someone had some info for this speaker?
Thanks
Gianluigi

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I write here even if i have to write in vintage,but could be more people can read here.

I am taking this old speaker ,like new,only 1000 was made,and production was made since 1959 to 1955
Owner will send to my home to listen before take
Someone had some info for this speaker?
Thanks
Gianluigi

Are you getting one or a pair? It's a very nice speaker and you'll enjoy it but not as dynamic as Tannoys, K Horns and its variants. There is a problem with blending of the woofer and the ribbon but not too bad, you'll have fun! Look for a good tube amp (I know it's easier said than done) don't think your current favorites, CH as the best partner.

Enjoy and forget pictures!

david

Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear David,many thanks

I take 2 same color and seems new never used,and with the best wood.
I saw only the photo
I will post the photo when will arrive end of august.
These belong to my friend of south of Italy that want to buy my super tweeter of Be yamamura and my Electrovoice Sentry III and give to me money and quad
My friend have Paragon,Hartsfield,Olympus,Yamamura Dionisio,Redekho and KLH 9 and want my Sentry III because never had and want to give to me this for save some space.
I read very few things in the web that bass/mid is very good until 500 hz and high are very good from 2.000 and little problem is the mid,so i am afraid don't like a lot for this question
My friend guarantee his good quality and want to send to me to listen and if i like i can do this business with him,otherwise i send back.

I have a thorens 124 swissonor with Koetsu arm sa 1100 mk VII and SPU Synergy and SPU A95 and a Redford STA 15 with Mullard tube so i can do a good vintage system.

Have you heard this speaker?
Do you think mid is good on voices or not a lot?
Many thanks
Gianluigi

jdza

May 3, 2010
I heard a pair years ago in a wonderful non-audio room with timber floors,overstuffed leather couches and thousands of books and cds everywhere. Amp was an ancient Sugden a21. No idea what the source was or how to describe the sound in hifi terms but it was one of the most pleasant music listening evenings l ever had.

Reactions: jeff1225

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
They look in beautiful condition mine wasn't this nice, it's a very rare find!

The common theme with many of the better vintage speakers is that they could be paired up with mediocre electronics and still get a very pleasant and natural (the term you're looking for:)) sound from them, the mistake many make is thinking of the golden age's best engineered as old and old sound. The best ones when properly mated with the best electronics and source can outperform any modern speaker musically even with a more limited frequency response, so don't limit yourself with that kind of thinking, same is true of your TD124.

As for their sound think of them like a very good modern 2 way monitor with a woofer and a ribbon middle/upper driver but with a larger voluptuous more natural lower mid/upper and mid bass. Because of their cabinets you can get away slightly differing corners with some they really need to be identical or you'll hear it making stereo pairs nearly unusable in modern homes. Like everything else there's a learning curve and could take you some time to get the best out of them. The bass quality of the older speakers is completely different from what we're used to with current designs and from what I've seen in my place initial reactions can vary so give yourself time to understand what you're hearing. Use solid walls if you have them, your TD124's setup is critical you have to get it right because if it's not you'll end up with a wooly undefined bass that you won't like. The SPU A95 is a little soft & colored but has beautiful warm tones and is full bodied but I don't know how it mates with your Koetsu arm. Same for your Redford only heard it on Quads many years ago, try other things too.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Gianluigi,

The quad acoustical corner ribbon loudspeaker is briefly described in the" Quad - The Closest Approach" book - page 43. It refers to a pair belonging to an Italian collector, Sergio Marullo. Are you getting this pair? :cool:

I can send you a scan of this page if you PM your email address.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
The speaker come from another one in Italy
Could be my friend bought this
My friend of Madformusic is selling at good price an integrated amp with F2a
Single end Thoress
I listen and is very good
Could be a good match with quad
I have also audiotekne cartridge,not very fast and dynamic but with natural sound and I think this with Thoress can be a good match with quad

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Speaker arrived today and i am listening now
I connect Wadia S7I and Radford sta 15 mk III
Sound is wonderful.no fast,no dynamic,not very open,but very natural and musical,very pleasant to listen
Bass is very good,full an deep,
only mid/high from 1000 to 2000 hz like David told,with some record is very good and with some is little dark,if was little more transparent on mid/high will be perfect

Also Radford i know well has a sound open,like Leak,so could be a good partner,but i will think how to do to better this system

Regards

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Not about the speakers, but want to really say this. I have seen a few pictures of your system. My wife and I both love the color, tone, flooring, ceiling, how light comes down of your loft. The air seems so fresh and clean in this room. We want our house to have this feeling when we build one. Really a dream.

Kind regards,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Not about the speakers, but want to really say this. I have seen a few pictures of your system. My wife and I both love the color, tone, flooring, ceiling, how light comes down of your loft. The air seems so fresh and clean in this room. We want our house to have this feeling when we build one. Really a dream.

Kind regards,
Tang

+1.

well said, I had been thinking the same thing. something pure about that look that draws you into it. Italian flair maybe.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Thanks,
my wife is the designer
my room of 80 sqm is on the last floor of my house that is old house of 1.925

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing