6.1 Input Jacks - What Are These?

sean789

Aug 4, 2017
I’ve been given my first audio receiver, and I am confused about something. On the back of the receiver, there is a place to connect speakers (front L/R, surround L/R, center, surround center) with standard speaker wire. But, there are also connections for an RCA-plug-type connection marked 6.1 channel input jacks that are also labeled with speaker designations (front L/R, surround L/R, center, surround center). I don’t know what these 6.1 channel input jacks are for…. Does this mean I could have 12 speakers connected to my receiver? I don’t think so, but I can’t find an explanation for these “second set” of speaker connections.
Thanks!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi Sean,

A 5.1-channel input allows you to hook up a separate multichannel surround sound decoder, such as those built into some DVD and Blu-ray disc players.
You can also use these inputs with multichannel music sources like DVD-Audio and SACD players.

Cheers,

sean789

Aug 4, 2017
Hi Sean,

A 5.1-channel input allows you to hook up a separate multichannel surround sound decoder, such as those built into some DVD and Blu-ray disc players.
You can also use these inputs with multichannel music sources like DVD-Audio and SACD players.

Cheers,

hey, thanks for the answer, but I don't know what this means.... it's like a foreign languauge to me :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
https://www.lifewire.com/multi-channel-analog-audio-connections-in-home-theate-4118422

The multichannel input (7.1) here on top is similar to the one on your receiver (yours doesn't have the stereo back surrounds, but only one single rear center surround, and no subwoofer input). Maybe there is a Sub In somewhere else. Your receiver is older, and peculiar too, but the principle is the same: you plug a DVD/BR player that has 5.1 (or 7.1) analog RCA jacks (Out) to the 6.1 analog RCA jacks (In) of your receiver. The DVD/BR player does the decoding and surround processing. Nowadays everyone use HDMI connections, but I bet yours don't have those. But, you can use the digital coaxial or optical connection (only one cable) and your receiver will decode DD and DTS 5.1 soundtracks.

Older receivers have 5.1 multichannel input, newer ones have 7.1 (yours is an exception, from the years some receiver's manufacturers were giving us one single back/rear center surround). The most intriguing aspect is that you did not mention any subwoofer input.

Multi-Channel Analog Inputs

"Before HDMI arrived, multi-channel analog audio input connections were once very common on home theater receivers, AV preamp processors, but are rare these days.

However, if you do have a home theater receiver or AV processor that does offer this option, you have the flexibility to take advantage of a DVD, Blu-ray Disc player, or other source component that may offer this as an output connection option.

Keep in mind that Multi-channel analog inputs are discrete. This means if you a re connecting a two channel stereo analog source, such as CD player, you need to only use the front left and right channel inputs, and for full 5.1 or 7.1 channel surround sound that you need to use all of the inputs and make sure you connect the corresponding designated channel outputs from your source component to the correctly designated channel inputs.

For example, if you connect the analog front left/right preamp outputs of your source device to the surround left/right analog inputs, the sound will come out of the surround speakers instead of the main left/right speakers. Also, it is very important the if your source component has a suboowfer preamp output that it should be connected to either a receiver's subwoofer preamp input, so it can be routed to the receiver's subwoofer output, or you can bypass that option and connect the subwoofer output from the source device directly to the subwoofer."

_____

Question: What is the brand and model receiver you've been given?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If you are still lost, don't worry, my next post is going to be the bible of multichannel analog connections from all AV receivers since they were born with a center channel (1987-88 ? Dolby Pro Logic 5.1) 30 years ago and till today (Dolby Atmos 7.1.4).
I hope you have time; it's going to be several pages long...about six hours worth of reading.

sean789

Aug 4, 2017
https://www.lifewire.com/multi-channel-analog-audio-connections-in-home-theate-4118422

The multichannel input (7.1) here on top is similar to the one on your receiver (yours doesn't have the stereo back surrounds, but only one single rear center surround, and no subwoofer input). Maybe there is a Sub In somewhere else. Your receiver is older, and peculiar too, but the principle is the same: you plug a DVD/BR player that has 5.1 (or 7.1) analog RCA jacks (Out) to the 6.1 analog RCA jacks (In) of your receiver. The DVD/BR player does the decoding and surround processing. Nowadays everyone use HDMI connections, but I bet yours don't have those. But, you can use the digital coaxial or optical connection (only one cable) and your receiver will decode DD and DTS 5.1 soundtracks.

Older receivers have 5.1 multichannel input, newer ones have 7.1 (yours is an exception, from the years some receiver's manufacturers were giving us one single back/rear center surround). The most intriguing aspect is that you did not mention any subwoofer input.

Multi-Channel Analog Inputs

"Before HDMI arrived, multi-channel analog audio input connections were once very common on home theater receivers, AV preamp processors, but are rare these days.

However, if you do have a home theater receiver or AV processor that does offer this option, you have the flexibility to take advantage of a DVD, Blu-ray Disc player, or other source component that may offer this as an output connection option.

Keep in mind that Multi-channel analog inputs are discrete. This means if you a re connecting a two channel stereo analog source, such as CD player, you need to only use the front left and right channel inputs, and for full 5.1 or 7.1 channel surround sound that you need to use all of the inputs and make sure you connect the corresponding designated channel outputs from your source component to the correctly designated channel inputs.

For example, if you connect the analog front left/right preamp outputs of your source device to the surround left/right analog inputs, the sound will come out of the surround speakers instead of the main left/right speakers. Also, it is very important the if your source component has a suboowfer preamp output that it should be connected to either a receiver's subwoofer preamp input, so it can be routed to the receiver's subwoofer output, or you can bypass that option and connect the subwoofer output from the source device directly to the subwoofer."

_____

Question: What is the brand and model receiver you've been given?

Thanks for the answer!! I understand (I think). Yes, this is an older receiver - a Marantz SR-5300 (still in near-perefect condition given to me by a relative who almost never used it). There is a subwoofer input; just didn't mention it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks, that's going to save me a lot of keyboard activity. And I knew that there was a Subwoofer Input somewhere. :b

Multi-channel RCA inputs

Multi-channel RCA inputs connect an analog source to a receiver or amplifier. They are primarily used with premium Blu-ray, DVD, and Super Audio CD players. These elite players offer high-quality surround decoding and digital-to-analog conversion. Their capable circuitry often yields better results than connecting to a receiver through HDMI.

A 5.1 setup has individual connections for the left and right front, left and right surround, and center channels. A 7.1 system adds connections for rear left and right surrounds. The ".1" is the connection for the subwoofer, sometimes labeled LFE for Low-Frequency Effects.

As an example, say the Oppo UDP-205 is used as a preamp in a home theater. It would connect to a multi-channel amplifier like the Marantz MM8077. Each channel uses an individual RCA cable for connection.

_____

Marantz SR-5300 AV receiver (rear panel):

Yes, 6.1 multichannel input. You can use a Y connector for the L & R back surround channels output of a DVD/SACD/Blu-ray player and the single end of that Y cable goes to your receiver (surround center input).
Or, usually the Left back surround is used as the Mono back center surround channel, voila.
But use the digital Coaxial connection for DD and DTS, or the analog multichannel connection for them and in addition to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Welcome to the world of immersive audio. It is not an addiction, it is a conception/evolution. :b

sean789

Aug 4, 2017
Thanks, that's going to save me a lot of keyboard activity. And I knew that there was a Subwoofer Input somewhere. :b

Multi-channel RCA inputs

Multi-channel RCA inputs connect an analog source to a receiver or amplifier. They are primarily used with premium Blu-ray, DVD, and Super Audio CD players. These elite players offer high-quality surround decoding and digital-to-analog conversion. Their capable circuitry often yields better results than connecting to a receiver through HDMI.

A 5.1 setup has individual connections for the left and right front, left and right surround, and center channels. A 7.1 system adds connections for rear left and right surrounds. The ".1" is the connection for the subwoofer, sometimes labeled LFE for Low-Frequency Effects.

As an example, say the Oppo UDP-205 is used as a preamp in a home theater. It would connect to a multi-channel amplifier like the Marantz MM8077. Each channel uses an individual RCA cable for connection.

_____

Marantz SR-5300 AV receiver (rear panel):

Yes, 6.1 multichannel input. You can use a Y connector for the L & R back surround channels output of a DVD/SACD/Blu-ray player and the single end of that Y cable goes to your receiver (surround center input).
Or, usually the Left back surround is used as the Mono back center surround channel, voila.
But use the digital Coaxial connection for DD and DTS, or the analog multichannel connection for them and in addition to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Welcome to the world of immersive audio. It is not an addiction, it is a conception/evolution. :b

OK, I got it, thanks!! But, a follow-up question given that you very helpfully included the rear panel diagram: What are the "pre out" jacks direcly above the 6.1 Input jacks used for? They, too, are labeled front, surround, center, etc.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Those are to connect to external power amplifiers, in case you want more power than what your receiver has.

And this is where you connect the subwoofer:

Last edited:

sean789

Aug 4, 2017
Those are to connect to external power amplifiers, in case you want more power than what your receiver has.

And this is where you connect the subwoofer:

Thanks for all your help! Just to confirm one last thing: Do I plug the subwoofer into the "pre-out"/shaded area subwoofer jack? (I know you mentioned it above; I just want to be sure.)

sean789

Aug 4, 2017
I have just purchased a Polk SW10 subwoofer. What are the "speaker level output" jacks supposed to be used for? Is this if I want to connect speakers (front? surround?) directly to the subwoofer?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
No, use the RCA jack connection. It should say in the Polk's manual.

All the other speakers; you use the speaker connections to your receiver, just like normal routine.
Only the subwoofer you use the RCA (Line In, on the rear panel of the Polk sub) jack connection to your receiver RCA (Sub Woofer Pre Out) jack.

_____

Then, get a "Y" adaptor/connector (two males @ one end and a female @ the other end):

Connect the Left and Right male to your Polk's Line In (R&L channels), and connect a single mono interconnect with a male @ each end, one end to the other end of the "Y" connector (single female) and the other end of the interconnect connected to your receiver's Sub Pre Out.

Or you can do it differently, using a "Y" connector with two females @ one end and a male @ the other end, like this:

Take your time; I know more questions are coming up. :b
- Start with the Phase switch @ the 0° position.
- Set the volume of your Polk @ one third.
- The Low Pass @ maximum (160Hz).

There are other youtube videos, and articles on how to setup and maximize sound performance when matching a sub with the other speakers.
If you're not sure which ones are best; my comrades and I will make sure of that.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing