Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Unfortunately, I won't be at RMAF, but do have interest in the cartridges that you mention. How much does the Etsuro retail for and how much output does it generate? The Kleos and Skala (are they still making the Skala?) are medium output carts.

The Cobalt Blue is a low output MC .25mv but compared to the Bordeaux at more than double the cost has all the same specs minus the sapphire plate that the Bordeaux has. Retail is 4750, but during RMAF I am doing promo pricing and have stocked inventory. Pm if you are interested.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
So far, according to the poll, the majority of cartridge buyers have bought based on reviews and have not actually heard the cartridge in question in their own system. This is something that does not surprise me. Crazy risky IMO, but also the most likely scenario when buying a cartridge.

So far I have not seen many that have been dissatisfied with trying on faith. There are not nearly as many choices on carts as there is on electronics and speakers. Whats good will continue to have favorable reviews both in magazine and forums and whats bad will make itself known very quickly.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The Cobalt Blue is a low output MC .25mv but compared to the Bordeaux at more than double the cost has all the same specs minus the sapphire plate that the Bordeaux has. Retail is 4750, but during RMAF I am doing promo pricing and have stocked inventory. Pm if you are interested.

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately my tube phono stage does not do well with cartridges of less than 0.35mv. This does limit things a bit these days, but I am no fan of the SUT.

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
Type of sharpening needles Etsuro Urushi spherical shape of the needle!
The tip shape affects the usefulness of information retrieval from record.
The simplest case is the spherical shape of the needle. This needle is the cheapest to manufacture, but does not allow to accurately track the groove.
The most preferred option MicroHD stylus, through which more accurately reads vernacularly range.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Thank you for the info. Unfortunately my tube phono stage does not do well with cartridges of less than 0.35mv. This does limit things a bit these days, but I am no fan of the SUT.

Not a fan of SUTs? Why is this?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Easy answer...loss of information.

Go out and compare a good tube phono stage ( or even a great ss phono stage) against a SUT and then get back to me...

I have and I find that a good SUT/Phono combo for low output MC is a wonderful thing

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Hi, any good example combos?

Easiest Example

Munich with Aries Cerat Talos and Aries Cerat ASCUT-1B = BOS at Munich

IMG_4311.jpg

Most recent I heard was a Soulution 755 With a Jensen based SUT, not sure the brand and that sounded very clean and transparent (albeit pretty analytical which I attribute to the Soulution)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok, had no idea AC had a phono and SUT. Is it an MM phono or MC phono and SUT required only for low output

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Ok, had no idea AC had a phono and SUT. Is it an MM phono or MC phono and SUT required only for low output

Supports both amd SUT only required for low output MC.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
... I'm looking at finishing my Setup next year with the goal of being happy until my son is grown up. It is looking like this: AF301 (Arms+ Carts), EAR 912, EAR 509s, Daedalus Orpheus.
One of my clients uses the smaller Daedalus Athena; a lovely speaker (and prettier in person than the website photos indicate). The Ulysses works best in largish spaces as I've been told...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing