• I only buy used

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I only buy new

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
All my friends have big experience because have medium big/big system since 20/35 years and all listen analog,no one listen cd and spend money only for analog
All have more than one cartridge because if you change you change sound of the system
And one think we learn,if you buy one top cartridge,even if sound is different one from other you don't wrong because are all fantastic
At least you have to know for example don't use koetsu with tannoy for exemple
I had some years ago Lyra Titan I ,very good transparent and fast but less natural than others,Atlas is sameSure better but more natural for exemple

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
From whatever I have heard, some carts consistently repeat their character…for example, Lyra, Koetsu, Ortofon SPU, and Ortofon a90 and a95.

I have heard some like GFS in different systems and haven’t been able to nail down a commonality. Some carts just have an attribute that makes them lose to others in a compare, and if it happens more than once due to the same attribute, for me that’s out.

I assume this averages out differences due to arms, phonos, and systems. So once you have a shortlist, it will then be trying two different sounds in your system. For example, Zyx and Lyra are different sounds. But between Lyra, Colibri, and Ortofon a95, there are similarities and I would go for a95 over Atlas to save money and get a similar character.

Then there are carts I have never heard properly – Transfig Proteus, VDH strad, Airtight, MSL, Koetsu Diamond cantilevers. Some of them are too expensive, some might be available at a great used price. The used deal I could buy blind, otherwise I would try to listen to them and not buy without listening.

I don't see any alternative to listening unless it's a throwaway price

Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
GFS has internal impedence of 50 ohm and output 0.9 so is not simple find the right phono
With my phono ch I decrease the gain and put
400 ohm and was perfect,better than other 2 friends that have

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
GFS has internal impedence of 50 ohm and output 0.9 so is not simple find the right phono
With my phono ch I decrease the gain and put
400 ohm and was perfect,better than other 2 friends that have

This is the same reason I returned my GFS to my dealer. My phono is non-adjustable in gain. I think the GFS output is 0.6 something however.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I have never been able to audition a cartridge in my own system, I have sometimes been able to listen to them in an unfamiliar system. For this reason I have never purchased a cartridge at full rrp, it has been too much of a risk to pay full price. It has always been a very protracted process searching on-line waiting for the cartridge I am looking for to appear as ex- demo or discount.

The only way I have been able to select a particular model is through reviews and try to establish the characteristics of the cart in question. Usually I have been able to find a review where the cart has been used in my tonearm. Then check the physical spec, I have always avoided very low output carts. Having said that I still have my first MC carts; a FR mk111 and supex 900 which are both v low output, they still work perfectly after being re-tipped several times.

Have had around 10 or 11 MCs over the years. Currently have 4 modern high quality carts, rotate them around 2 tonearms.

I have not bought second hand but have sold cartridges - they have all been in top condition either having been recently re-tipped or v low hours. Have been able to supply usb photo as evidence of stylus condition.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
At least you have to know for example don't use koetsu with tannoy for exemple
Lol, Tannoy & Koetsu Platinum works beautifully together for me! I've heard lots of different Tannoy systems and they're all over the map from wooly to neutral to absolutely searing, so I wouldn't generically restrict Tannoy speakers away from a certain cartridge line. I've heard some Tannoy/Ortofon combinations that were really way too much up top. And as always, the match of cartridge to arm and phono stage is crucial -- in context of downstream gear too -- along with personal sonic preferences.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The poll results are fairly interesting so far. It seems that there are an equal number of people who bought their cartridge based on a review as those who somehow managed to hear the cartridge in an unfamiliar system! I would have suspected the former as being fairly typical, but not the latter.

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
Very interesting poll! And what amount are you willing to spend on a good cartridge ?

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Great thread. I find cartridges to be the most difficult piece of the puzzle. I have been through a few nice carts (Benz LPS, Lyra Skala, Miya Kansui, Blue Lace, and more) without any greatly impressing me. I have an A95 coming in next week to play with. In my personal opinion I think most carts are more alike than different especially at the higher end. I have also tried to learn to take reviews with a grain of salt since so many factors come into play when reviewing a cart (Arm, Table, Cabling, personal tastes, etc). I think the best way of learning what a cart can do is to actually buy one, obviously. I have had good luck buying used too.
But, I will continue buying new carts to find something that knocks my socks off.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, so what is your TT and arm?

I always thought that there was a difference between some of these carts, especially blue lace would be very different from a95 and the Lyra.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I have/ had different Arms. I use the Blue Lace with an Ikeda 407 and the Lyra with a VPI 12" 3DR. All round the Ikeda is my favorite arm. I tend to prefer metal arms even if they aren't the best compliance match. My favorite arm/ cart combo is the Blue Lace/ Ikeda.

I have went down to one TT (Raising a Toddler, lol) an Artisan Fidelity 301. This TT was a revelation in itself for me but that is for another thread.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Which were the other TTs and arms? Did you try any other idlers such as TD 124 or Lenco?

Also, what phonos, amps and speakers?

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
No other Idlers, but other belt drives including VPI Avenger, CA Innovation and associated arms plus a few other. If I had unlimited time/ money I would try other re-built idlers but to be honest as soon as I installed the AF301 I sold everything else and ended my search. Not saying they are for everyone but for me it presses the right buttons.
Phonos include Esoteric E-03, K&K Maxxed Out Phono, ANK L3v2, plus a couple others that I ran through with various SUTs.

My goal now is to make a simple but enjoyable setup. I run an EAR 868PL which has ended my Phono/ Pre search (Although I'm moving to the 912). I want one TT with a couple arms (Miya Zero on one arm and probably a couple stereo carts on the other), one box for my SUTs, Phono, Line, a set of monoblocks then the speakers. I'm looking at finishing my Setup next year with the goal of being happy until my son is grown up. It is looking like this: AF301 (Arms+ Carts), EAR 912, EAR 509s, Daedalus Orpheus.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice. Is ANK the canadian audio note kit, how was that?

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Yes, Audio Note Kit. The L3V2 runs about $2000 and is silly good. It almost made me want to buy their full line up. But decided on the less box approach. The unit was beautifully built and ran flawlessly for the few months that I had it. They also supplied a decent set of NOS tubes that I could have been happy with. They are coming out with an L5 that would be interesting to compare against more expensive units.

It is an MM only unit, and I ran it with a Hashimoto HM7.

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
To date, there are two or three companies that make honest MC CARTRIDGES,
applying expensive technology and material processing!
Most recently, I bought two MC CARTRIDGES,one $ 3,159 ,another $ 961,
and how do you think which one sounds better?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Well for those attending RMAF I will have the Etsuro Urushi Cobalt Blue MC Cartridge playing on a JWM Acoustics Karen TT. If you are looking are Lyra Kleos or Skala you should stop by and compare.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Well for those attending RMAF I will have the Etsuro Urushi Cobalt Blue MC Cartridge playing on a JWM Acoustics Karen TT. If you are looking are Lyra Kleos or Skala you should stop by and compare.

Unfortunately, I won't be at RMAF, but do have interest in the cartridges that you mention. How much does the Etsuro retail for and how much output does it generate? The Kleos and Skala (are they still making the Skala?) are medium output carts.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
So far, according to the poll, the majority of cartridge buyers have bought based on reviews and have not actually heard the cartridge in question in their own system. This is something that does not surprise me. Crazy risky IMO, but also the most likely scenario when buying a cartridge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing