Have HDTV's bottomed out in pricing?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You can now get a 42" - 720p Plasma from a brand-name manufacturer for about $400. Their 1080p cousins aren't far behind, and I was wondering if you think those prices will drop even more. I wouldn't mind upgrading this year to a 50" or 55' - 1080p Plasma (from my 42"-720p Panny that's almost 4 yrs old).

What are your opinions on this?

John

PS: Not interested in 3D for at least a few more years.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You can now get a 42" - 720p Plasma from a brand-name manufacturer for about $400. Their 1080p cousins aren't far behind, and I was wondering if you think those prices will drop even more. I wouldn't mind upgrading this year to a 50" or 55' - 1080p Plasma (from my 42"-720p Panny that's almost 4 yrs old).

What are your opinions on this?

John

PS: Not interested in 3D for at least a few more years.

I don't know if thats the bottom or not, but it's pretty close. Of course you can still pay $4500 for a 60" Sony XBR, that in a few pretty important ways is inferior to that 42" 720p plasma, if that's your inclination. A 720p plasma is not only a raging bargain, it's a really great TV. If you're looking for a 50, though, I might wait until Panasonic's new G series hit the market. They will have the 3D option, but you don't have to use it, and the former Panasonic Gs were absolutely the most bang for the buck on the market -- 1080, THX, 24p cinema, oblong plasma bubble for brighter picture, infinite black, and most importantly, a top-shelf video processor -- all for street prices of around $1100 for a 50".

To my eye, FWIW, the low-end Samsung plasmas are a tad cleaner than the Panasonics which, a couple of years ago, switched to a cheaper video processor for everything below the G. If you look really close, you can see a bit of noise in the cheaper Pannys. Really close. From a normal viewing distance, not so much. For that matter, it's unlikely you could discriminate between 720 and 1080 from a normal viewing distance on anything smaller than a 55.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing