Wind River

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I've reading good things about this but nothing here?
Limited knowledge I have on it reminds of the cable TV series LONGMIRE. Both are sort of a modern western set in Wyoming.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We saw Wind River today and it was very good. Actually it refreshing to see something where the actors don't overact their roles.

Good point about Longmire. This reminded both of us of one episode in Longmire. Same setting. Similar characters and story line.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That looks good indeed, and the budget is not $275 million (CGI) but a very modest $11 million. A real movie.
Thanks both Ron and Jim for the awareness.

I'll be looking forward to it, on Blu this fall.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I saw Wind River tonight. I thought it was good.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
we saw this film yesterday and both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A respectable 76% on MRQE.com

Wind River (2017) Movie Reviews
Cast: Jeremy Renner, Elizabeth Olsen, Martin Sensmeier, Jon Bernthal, Julia Jones, Kelsey Asbille, Gil Birmingham, Ian Bohen, Matthew Del Negro, Eric Lange, Hugh Dillon, Teo Briones, Tara Karsian, Tokala Clifford, James Jordan, Blake Robbins
Director: Taylor Sheridan
Writer: Taylor Sheridan
Rating: R
Running Time: 111 min.
Synopsis:
U.S. Fish & Wildlife agent Cory Lambert discovers a body in the rugged wilderness of the Wind River Indian Reservation. The FBI sends in rookie agent Jane Banner, but she's unprepared for the difficulties created by the oppressive weather and isolation of the Wyoming winter. When she employs Cory as a tracker, the two venture deep into a world ravaged by violence and the elements. Wind River is a stark look at life on the edge of an imposing wilderness, where the rule of law is eclipsed by the laws of nature

I must admit that Jeremy Renner is blossoming into a terrific actor and is coming up with some terrific lead roles

This is one good film and the story is well told with several flash backs intertwined with the present that brings the whole story together

Definitely worth a ticket to see it

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Wife and I saw movie earlier this week. One of the best we've seen recently. Steve, I agree with your comments on Renner. He really did a terrific acting job on this (not much you can do with a role in the Avengers except camp IMHO....). Closing film credits had a couple of surprises, a Louisiana Indian tribe apparently provided some financing and this was not filmed in Wyoming, but Utah. Still, the scenery in this is the movie is at once desolate, wild, and beautiful.

The real Gannett peak is the tallest mountain in Wyoming is spectacular and unforgettable for me. There's a pic of it hanging in our master bedroom. I spent a week of solo hiking in the Wind River many years ago. If you like the outdoors, go there.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I like the outdoors but not at 20 degrees below zero for my alveoli in my lungs to freeze and explode resulting in pulmonary hemorrhage and death

Thanks for the end credit comments as we missed them as we were walking out

I agree about it being in the top few movies of the year

That stand off at the end of the movie with both sides surrounding the other and guns and rifles drawn was as intense as I've seen in a long while

Definitely worth seeing it on the big screen

The cinematography was terrific and I am sure that camera set up on those hills was no mean task

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The conditions probably didn't make for a lot of fun in the filming of the movie. Even walking around at some of those altitudes took some effort from the cast and crew.

Steve,the standoff towards the end was intense but in my mind takes a back seat to the ~40 minutes of tension in the Algiers Motel scenes in the movie Detroit.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I noticed on the credits that Nick Cave did the soundtrack.

I listened to the whole soundtrack yesterday on YouTube and, as I generally find with Nick Cave, most of the tracks sound very similar -- simple instrumental with whooshing wind sounds -- but very appropriate for the sparsely dialogued movie.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We saw Wind River over the weekend and thought it was an excellent film. Not to damn with faint praise, but it was one of the better films of the summer.

I wasn't aware that the Elizabeth Olsen (FBI agent) was the sister of the Olsen twins from the old TV show Full House. Elizabeth is definitely the more talented actress.

We took a driving trip this summer through New Mexico, Colorado, eastern Utah and back through northeastern Arizona so it was more relevant to us in that way. The winter scenery definitely looked different than the summer scenery. The movie was filmed primarily in Utah though Wind River is in Wyoming.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^ Liz certainly does seem to get more roles and is guite good in all of them TMK

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
We saw Wind River two weekends ago.

It was an excellent movie.

It should be getting more publicity than it presently is getting.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I wasn't aware that the Elizabeth Olsen (FBI agent) was the sister of the Olsen twins from the old TV show Full House. Elizabeth is definitely the more talented actress.

Elizabeth is the ONLY one of the sisters with talent :cool:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I have been reading some reviews about 'Wind River', among them:
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/wind-river-2017

...And about the film director; Taylor Sheridan's* other film credits...scripts.
The Blu-ray is coming up next month; November 14
It is a definite purchase for me. I'm looking forward to see it and comment on it.
I also trust some movie aficionados here, among them Steve...in vast general.

* He wrote the script for 'Sicario' and 'Hell or High Water', two films I consider high caliber cinema art, with a strong emotional impact.
Also, reading about his growing up in Texas with his family is extremely inspiring to me.
Everything about 'Wind River' rings right, where it counts the most, in the human soul. And I like snow.

Without someone mentioned it here, I might not have been able to put it on my film list of next Blu-rays to absolutely must purchase. Thank you Ron (Ronm1)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing