Introduction

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Hello everyone, I'd like to introduce myself. I have been lurking around for a bit and found WBF to be very informative and cordial. I've been a music aficionado and in high-end audio since 1984. Is this the right place for an introduction? If so, I will be posting my music system photo and info here. If not, please direct me to the proper forum. Thanks.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Here is a quick view of my audio room, which is undergoing some major changes. I will post detailed photos under member gallery.

IMG_0531 (2).JPG

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Very nice. I recognize much of the hardware but trying to figure out what the almost flat rectangular box in the center of the room is? Some kind of sub (or maybe a high end table top stove :D)

It's the subwoofer that comes with the Carver ALS speaker. It's about 4 inches thick and flat down to 20 Hz. The preamp with outboard power supply in the bottom rack is big as most amps and is a extensively modified Aragon 18k with new chassis, inductive remote volume control, Zfoil and wirewound NOS resistors, film caps in PS, etc. I also have rebuilt Quad ESL 57, Raidho D2.1, Ridge Street Audio Sason speakers.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Dr.K: Welcome to WBF,...very nice and well setup system and room! Welcome!

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Here is a quick view of my audio room, which is undergoing some major changes. I will post detailed photos under member gallery.

View attachment 34767

Nice system. Tell us about the Carver speakers. Are you finding them as good as R. Greene's review a few years ago in The Absolute Sound?
Cheers.....

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
...And the young girl in your avatar?

If you can figure out who she is, the kids will think you're so cool.:cool: She's quite famous. ;)

BTW, I wouldn't call her a young girl, as she's around 20 yo I think. But at our age, almost everyone is young.

Last edited:

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Nice system. Tell us about the Carver speakers. Are you finding them as good as R. Greene's review a few years ago in The Absolute Sound?
Cheers.....

Hi, I've only had the Carvers setup for a week. So they're still breaking in, and I'm fine tuning the placement and subwoofer integration. They have many user adjustments I'm trying to figure out. But from what I hear so far, these have potential to redefine SOTA speakers. I'll post a full review when I feel they're ideally setup and broken in.

You build some very fine speakers!

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If you can figure out who she is, the kids will think you're so cool.:cool: She's quite famous. ;)

BTW, I wouldn't call her a young girl, as she's around 20 yo I think. But at our age, almost everyone is young.

I did google her before I asked. I wanted to confirm your coolness factor level. :b

I like your system, your room, your taste...welcome!

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Thank you.

+1 Love, love the system. I had line source speakers for years (Pipedreams) and have always been fascinated by the Carvers. Have fun setting up the system for best performance. When you get there, let us know. You could be on Ked's next tour!

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
WOW. She could easily be my granddaughter --- and she sure doesn't look 20 something. I would have guessed about 14!!

Make a note: 14 year olds look 20 in the 21st century!

I still haven't the slightest idea who she is!

--------------------------

dr k, I was going to say welcome to a 1 in a million young woman member of an audio forum, but now I see you're just another guy!!! :) :)

Welcome!

I like your system. Line sources rule!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? http://kprofiles.com/lisa-black-pink-facts-profile/

_____

Bonus:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing