Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kuzma 4 Point 9

Kuzma 4 Point 9

My latest acquisition - a Kuzma 4 Point 9 tonearm. This replaces a Stogi Reference.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Member Sponsor Senior Member Marcus's Avatar
    Congrats rossb. Looks very nice. Are you satisfied with it's performance? What tonearms have you used in the past?
    Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2 (ordered); Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Interconnects: Cardas Clear Beyond; Speaker cables: Cardas Clear Beyond; Power cords: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty;Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik (SMT);

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Congrats rossb. Looks very nice. Are you satisfied with it's performance? What tonearms have you used in the past?
    Thanks, Marcus. Aside from the Stogi Reference, I also have an Audio Origami PU7 and a Jelco SA-750D for mono cartridges. I have previously owned a Linn Ekos I and II, and Ekos SE on my (former) LP12, an SME IV on my Orbe SE, a Micro Seiki MA-505 II and a Moerch DP-6 and UP-4 on my Nottingham Ace Spacedeck, and one or two others.

I am still getting a grip on the sound of the 4 Point 9. It is very detailed, very transparent and fast, but a shade less dynamic than the Stogi Reference and PU7. But the Stogi Reference is also a little rolled off on top and has tubbier bass. The PU7 is probably just as neutral, a bit more dynamic, but not quite as transparent. It is still early days, since the internal wiring is still running in.

Edit: I forgot to add I also had the AMG 12 inch arm with my AMG V12 which preceded the Kuzma, and a Naim ARO on my LP12 betweek Ekoses I and II.
    Last edited by rossb; 08-05-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rossb View Post
    I am still getting a grip on the sound of the 4 Point 9. It is very detailed, very transparent and fast, but a shade less dynamic than the Stogi Reference and PU7. But the Stogi Reference is also a little rolled off on top and has tubbier bass. The PU7 is probably just as neutral, a bit more dynamic, but not quite as transparent. It is still early days, since the internal wiring is still running in.
    Yes, those wires need time. Thanks for your report and keep us posted on developments.
    Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2 (ordered); Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Interconnects: Cardas Clear Beyond; Speaker cables: Cardas Clear Beyond; Power cords: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty;Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik (SMT);

Also i am interesting in PU7,
    i think that at that price there is anything better

Addicted to Best!
    Hi,

Nice to see someone with same turntable

I am using the Triplanar VII with mine.

Best,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by gian60 View Post
    Also i am interesting in PU7,
    i think that at that price there is anything better
    While I haven't heard everything at the price, the PU7 is an excellent arm. It is better in some respects - neutrality and timing - than the similarly priced Kuzma Stogi Reference, although I do like the Stogi Reference as well. I certainly prefer both to the SME IV I owned some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophile Bill View Post
    Hi,

Nice to see someone with same turntable

I am using the Triplanar VII with mine.

Best,

Bill
    The Kuzma/Triplanar combination is said to be an excellent one. I haven't heard the Triplanar but would love to do so one day. I believe the designer of the Triplanar uses the Kuzma Reference turntable in his own system.

Quote Originally Posted by rossb View Post
    The Kuzma/Triplanar combination is said to be an excellent one.
    It is. I used to have this combo for years and was extremely satisfied with it. But when I bought the XL4, Triplanar was unfortunately no longer good enough or was not a good match. So I bought the 4Point. Need to listen and compare this new baby to the 4Point 11 one day...

Well, the 4 Point 9 has been boxed up and is being returned to the dealer. After living with it for a week, I decided it wasn't the sound I was looking for. This is not a criticism of the 4 Point 9, which is a great arm. It is certainly the most neutral, detailed, holographic arm I have heard. It just lacks the dynamics, impact and density of my Audio Origami PU7 and the Stogi Reference. The Stogi Reference is noticeably less transparent, has a tubby bass and a rolled off top end - and yet sounds dynamic and engaging. The PU7 has most of the good qualities of the 4 Point 9, but adds tonal density and dynamics, so that is the arm I plan to use with my Stabi ref 2.

I'm fortunate that my dealer will let me exchange the arm for something else - probably a Kuzma cartridge.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Addicted to Best!
    Hi
    What is the cartridge(s) you have been using with the Kuzma and PU7?

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast