Favorite 5AR4 Rectifier?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
AC, AL in NYC has a ton of rectis and recently stated using EML mesh 2a3 DHTs which he loves...saying that they are the best ever in his GG. He started using them with his TAJK 274b which was KING along with vintage WE 274b. I asked him to roll in some rectis the DHTs break in and low and behold the cheap Chinese rectis outshine his Tak now. He cant believe it. It also plays well with the Mazda UK made 5R4GY with the double mica, ceramic spacer. All tuned upside down.

He is loving these 2A3s and the combination with different rectis changes the sound.

Until they arc over...

But to be fair I recently had an RCA/Sylvania big bottle arc on me. :mad:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
He has 4 of them...they came with his woo amp. He probably has another 7 different rectis anyway..

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
If they arc bad enough it can take out the power trafo and/or PS resistors. I've had both happen... that's the main reason I stick to NOS.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
AC, AL in NYC has a ton of rectis and recently stated using EML mesh 2a3 DHTs which he loves...saying that they are the best ever in his GG. He started using them with his TAJK 274b which was KING along with vintage WE 274b. I asked him to roll in some rectis the DHTs break in and low and behold the cheap Chinese rectis outshine his Tak now. He cant believe it. It also plays well with the Mazda UK made 5R4GY with the double mica, ceramic spacer. All tuned upside down.

He is loving these 2A3s and the combination with different rectis changes the sound.

Thanks, Wisnon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing