New Toy!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Look what Santa Baby Mike Spitz sent us. A fully tricked out ATR 102/Aria.. (doing the happy dance)!!

Attachments

• ATR 2..jpg
    ATR 2..jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 329
  • ATR 1..jpg
    ATR 1..jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 314

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Nice Bruce! Could I ask what the tricked out ATR 102 cost?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Love to hear your further thoughts on the Aria electronics. Have heard good things about them :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Love to hear your further thoughts on the Aria electronics. Have heard good things about them :)

We have several pieces of David Hill gear (Crane Song) It's all top notch. I'm dying to compare it to our tricked out A80

cvl

Jun 22, 2010
Hey Bruce , nice piece. I to, am very interested to hear your thoughts on the Aria electronics, as well as the Studer comparison. I,ve been threatening to go this same route with my Studer A80r mono. I always thought it would be the perfect upgrade path. Now you can tell us all if it,s the real deal.

cvl

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Wow! It's a very nice machine indeed.

It looks so good, it must sound good as well. Now Mike will have to upgrade his ATR 102 to keep up with the Browns...

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Nice deck - looks like a Nagra in some way... I will try an Ampex early next year to give a try to tapes again.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Wow! It's a very nice machine indeed.

It looks so good, it must sound good as well. Now Mike will have to upgrade his ATR 102 to keep up with the Browns...

the main advantage of the Aria verses an outboard repro unit like the King-Cello is that it also improves the recording side of things; and of course, it's fully integrated. maybe at some point Bruce can get it over here and we can compare it directly with the King-Cello-A-820 on playback. if i like it i can have one installed on my ATR-102. i would need different heads as the Aria does not work with the extended resolution heads on my ATR. one other issue is that with the Aria switching EQ's is much easier than the standard ATR.

back when i originally purchased my Ampex i almost did add the Aria; Jeff Gilman had it all set up to install. but there was so little information around on this stuff that i was not comfortable going that way.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Congrats on your new toy Bruce. You must not have been naughty this year!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I missed this thread. Wow,now that's a Ampex I could learn to love. How does it sound now that you have had a chance to compare? Congrats on a stunning deck.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing