TAS Super LP list- where's the new music?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Agreed.

Tom

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Excellent observation Keith--+1--anyone that includes that Digital Stinker of Ry's gets my thumbs down.

BruceD

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You have a great point. But obviously what we really need in studios and engineers worth a damn working on the new music. The artist are around but either can't afford or understand what cutting an album that sounds worth a damn is even like.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
You have a great point. But obviously what we really need in studios and engineers worth a damn working on the new music.

I think it might be changing- a lot of "bedroom" rock/electronica sounds better than the average brick-walled stuff. But its not like Boston from the 70s is great production or recording either. Check out new Bedouine - I think its pretty well done.

In general, i think audiophiles are less interested about new music because they like to listen to what they grew up on. That's fine, but not particularly enticing to new peeps....who don't even know or read Harry Pearson. It's one reason I make a point to bring "fresh" music to audio shows.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't think finding exceptional sonics in abundance has been easy for as long as I can remember, heck probably for longer than I've been alive. Needles in haystack cliches time. I had some success in Japan by accident. Tower (yes it lives!) has a Stereo Sound shelf where the mag's annual winners are put together. I enjoyed the fruits of their curating efforts. Maybe if the Grammys upped the weight of technical excellence in their selection process, production values would go up across the board. I'm not holding my breath, I think Skrillex won a grammy for crying out loud, but I can dream.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think it might be changing- a lot of "bedroom" rock/electronica sounds better than the average brick-walled stuff. But its not like Boston from the 70s is great production or recording either. Check out new Bedouine - I think its pretty well done.

In general, i think audiophiles are less interested about new music because they like to listen to what they grew up on. That's fine, but not particularly enticing to new peeps....who don't even know or read Harry Pearson. It's one reason I make a point to bring "fresh" music to audio shows.

Audiophiles grew up on classical? I know a lot of the guys on the forum are old but...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
What do you think we listened to when we were all watching Warner Brothers and Loony Tunes cartoons? Of course we grew up with Classical. :D

Tom

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
There is great sound and there is great music and thankfully for us sometimes there is both.

It's cool that there is some great music on the list but no matter how great something sounds I find that if the music doesn't have meaning for me then it's just not going to be a deep connection.

That we can all potentially find meaning in music other than the music of our time just relates to the fact that great music can be timeless and it can effect a great range of people.

But whether or not great sound is a part of the future or not is only really going to be important to some of us.

If you love music and don't want to get stuck in the unhappy rut of only playing audiophilia music menus like this one you need to have access to a system that also makes listening to less than ideal sonics still engaging... musically engaging.

It's a great argument for having two systems... a less critical, less demanding sonically but musically satisfying setup in a shared space like the living room with more lives and often more live sound and music and then a dedicated listening space in a slightly more dead room listening to some more of this dead music that then allows you to max out on sonics and also still listen to music in a perhaps more directly focussed and sometimes more critical way.

That's when a list like this can still be cool so you can pick music you love and get the added connection of more life like experience of great recordings or just a bit of the occasional guilty sonic thrill but I do find music that you don't connect with tends to be something you play once and then are unlikely to revisit. This is where improving sonics in streaming is a godsend. You can listen once and then never listen again in a completely guilt free way.

While I rarely listen to the unlistenable in either music or sound, music and performance always ultimately trumps sonics in recording in the end for me just because this isn't an intellectual thing really and my body just isn't as naturally hypercritical as when going through a focussed phase of expectations of perception when listening, analysing and learning how to put together sonically a good system. But this becomes a lesser part of time spent the further you go along.

If the music your gear makes you play is hollow for you then it's just an empty village that you are passing through. The AS list is a testing thing with some great music and some of them are even great performances but only a handful would be in my all time favourites in music terms and even less would be packed in the bag for any long term desert island destiny. But we all choose our own poisons when we drink from the chalice.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
There's tons of great, well recorded music out there. Unfortunately, the high end press tends to have a rather limited musical palate. Just this decade:

Great Jazz Trio - Hank Jones' Last Recording
Tom Jones - Praise & Blame
Los Lobos - Tin Can Trust
Menomena - Mines
Mimicking Birds
Trentmoller - Into The Great Wide Open

Danger Mouse & Daniel Luppi - Rome
Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost
Head & The Heart

Amadou & Mariam - Folia
Black Prairie - A Tear in the Eye is a Hole in the Heart
Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas
Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan
Dave Douglas - Be Still
Vijay Iyer - Accelerando
Jamey Johnson - Living for a Song
Shearwater - Animal Joy
Geoffrey Williams - Yes Is The Answer

Katatonia - Dethroned & Uncrowned
Mark Lanegan - Imitations
Los Lobos - Disconnected in New York
Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer, Different Park
Omaha Diner
Rhye - Woman
Wolf People - Fain

Leonard Cohen - Popular Problems
Seu Jorge - The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions
Stanton Moore - Conversations
Opeth - Pale Communion
Spoon - They Want My Soul

Balthazar - Thin Walls
Eilen Jewell - Sundown Over Ghost Town
Rudresh Mahanthappa - Bird Calls

The Bad Plus - It's Hard
Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
CloZee - Revolution
Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
Brad Mehldau - Blues and Ballads

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
There's tons of great, well recorded music out there. Unfortunately, the high end press tends to have a rather limited musical palate. Just this decade:

Great Jazz Trio - Hank Jones' Last Recording
Tom Jones - Praise & Blame
Los Lobos - Tin Can Trust
Menomena - Mines
Mimicking Birds
Trentmoller - Into The Great Wide Open

Danger Mouse & Daniel Luppi - Rome
Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost
Head & The Heart

Amadou & Mariam - Folia
Black Prairie - A Tear in the Eye is a Hole in the Heart
Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas
Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan
Dave Douglas - Be Still
Vijay Iyer - Accelerando
Jamey Johnson - Living for a Song
Shearwater - Animal Joy
Geoffrey Williams - Yes Is The Answer

Katatonia - Dethroned & Uncrowned
Mark Lanegan - Imitations
Los Lobos - Disconnected in New York
Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer, Different Park
Omaha Diner
Rhye - Woman
Wolf People - Fain

Leonard Cohen - Popular Problems
Seu Jorge - The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions
Stanton Moore - Conversations
Opeth - Pale Communion
Spoon - They Want My Soul

Balthazar - Thin Walls
Eilen Jewell - Sundown Over Ghost Town
Rudresh Mahanthappa - Bird

The Bad Plus - It's Hard
Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
CloZee - Revolution
Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
Brad Mehldau - Blues and Ballads

You made this list....I must wonder if you made it from what you would WANT to listen to or if it's from another list.

Which is it?

If you made said list from your own selections? Kudos to you and shall we be ever in your debt.

Do tell.

Tom

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ha! I played a track off that Tom Jones album at the LA Show, and everybody was wondering who it was :)
It is indeed a great recording, and a great album as well!

cheers,
alex

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
You made this list....I must wonder if you made it from what you would WANT to listen to or if it's from another list.

Which is it?

If you made said list from your own selections? Kudos to you and shall we be ever in your debt.

Do tell.

Tom

Personal list of vinyl I own and enjoy.

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Nice list- and a few are some albums I've toted around at shows. Check out Blake Mills "Heigh Ho." We should PM on new music from time to time!

Terrific!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing