Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAS Super LP list- where's the new music?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!

TAS Super LP list- where's the new music?

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...-lp-list-2017/

This is a rather sad list if we want younger people to embrace this hobby.

KeithR

Agreed.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Excellent observation Keith--+1--anyone that includes that Digital Stinker of Ry's gets my thumbs down.

BruceD

You have a great point. But obviously what we really need in studios and engineers worth a damn working on the new music. The artist are around but either can't afford or understand what cutting an album that sounds worth a damn is even like.
    Industry Affiliation: Folsom

Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    You have a great point. But obviously what we really need in studios and engineers worth a damn working on the new music.
    I think it might be changing- a lot of "bedroom" rock/electronica sounds better than the average brick-walled stuff. But its not like Boston from the 70s is great production or recording either. Check out new Bedouine - I think its pretty well done.

In general, i think audiophiles are less interested about new music because they like to listen to what they grew up on. That's fine, but not particularly enticing to new peeps....who don't even know or read Harry Pearson. It's one reason I make a point to bring "fresh" music to audio shows.

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    I don't think finding exceptional sonics in abundance has been easy for as long as I can remember, heck probably for longer than I've been alive. Needles in haystack cliches time. I had some success in Japan by accident. Tower (yes it lives!) has a Stereo Sound shelf where the mag's annual winners are put together. I enjoyed the fruits of their curating efforts. Maybe if the Grammys upped the weight of technical excellence in their selection process, production values would go up across the board. I'm not holding my breath, I think Skrillex won a grammy for crying out loud, but I can dream.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I think it might be changing- a lot of "bedroom" rock/electronica sounds better than the average brick-walled stuff. But its not like Boston from the 70s is great production or recording either. Check out new Bedouine - I think its pretty well done.

In general, i think audiophiles are less interested about new music because they like to listen to what they grew up on. That's fine, but not particularly enticing to new peeps....who don't even know or read Harry Pearson. It's one reason I make a point to bring "fresh" music to audio shows.
    Audiophiles grew up on classical? I know a lot of the guys on the forum are old but...
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

What do you think we listened to when we were all watching Warner Brothers and Loony Tunes cartoons? Of course we grew up with Classical.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...-lp-list-2017/

This is a rather sad list if we want younger people to embrace this hobby.

KeithR
    Who cares it's just a list, do you actually think that the younger generation has even heard of "AS" ?

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers,
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
    VENTA Air Washers & Humidifiers

Manufacture: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

There is great sound and there is great music and thankfully for us sometimes there is both.

It's cool that there is some great music on the list but no matter how great something sounds I find that if the music doesn't have meaning for me then it's just not going to be a deep connection.

That we can all potentially find meaning in music other than the music of our time just relates to the fact that great music can be timeless and it can effect a great range of people.

But whether or not great sound is a part of the future or not is only really going to be important to some of us.

If you love music and don't want to get stuck in the unhappy rut of only playing audiophilia music menus like this one you need to have access to a system that also makes listening to less than ideal sonics still engaging... musically engaging.

It's a great argument for having two systems... a less critical, less demanding sonically but musically satisfying setup in a shared space like the living room with more lives and often more live sound and music and then a dedicated listening space in a slightly more dead room listening to some more of this dead music that then allows you to max out on sonics and also still listen to music in a perhaps more directly focussed and sometimes more critical way.

That's when a list like this can still be cool so you can pick music you love and get the added connection of more life like experience of great recordings or just a bit of the occasional guilty sonic thrill but I do find music that you don't connect with tends to be something you play once and then are unlikely to revisit. This is where improving sonics in streaming is a godsend. You can listen once and then never listen again in a completely guilt free way.

While I rarely listen to the unlistenable in either music or sound, music and performance always ultimately trumps sonics in recording in the end for me just because this isn't an intellectual thing really and my body just isn't as naturally hypercritical as when going through a focussed phase of expectations of perception when listening, analysing and learning how to put together sonically a good system. But this becomes a lesser part of time spent the further you go along.

If the music your gear makes you play is hollow for you then it's just an empty village that you are passing through. The AS list is a testing thing with some great music and some of them are even great performances but only a handful would be in my all time favourites in music terms and even less would be packed in the bag for any long term desert island destiny. But we all choose our own poisons when we drink from the chalice.
    Magnepan 20.7 - Shindo - Sanders - Sotm Ultra - Chord - Shunyata Cyclops & Z Anaconda and Python PCs - Wireworld Platinum Eclipse SCs, ICs, USB, jumpers - Stillpoint Ultra 5s throughout the system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast