Alt-j- Relaxer

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
The wait for Alt-j's latest album is over...and yet again, it was worth the wait.
Dreamlike, ethereal and utterly original, they continue to blaze a trail through regions untouched by other musi4cians.
And after the disappointments of their live performances they revert to studio again, their strongest suite.
If there's a better way to begin a listening session I haven't heard it....:cool:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Hasn't this been out for a couple of months? It's not even in my "new" stack anymore. The music is nice, the sound may not be as compressed as Radiohead, but it still sounds pretty bad, IMHO.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I am going to have to pick this up on vinyl.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
They are one of the artists I buy in both formats. Another is Ghost Poet, whose next release is due 18 august

Yes it has been out for a couple of months but I hadn't noticed any threads about it. Or them

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hasn't this been out for a couple of months? It's not even in my "new" stack anymore. The music is nice, the sound may not be as compressed as Radiohead, but it still sounds pretty bad, IMHO.

Iirc, several tracks are great and some are compressed for artistic purposes. For modern rock, had no problem with it.

Which modern rock recordings do you prefer?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...Which modern rock recordings do you prefer?

Well, that's the rub, isn't it? Doesn't mean I can't complain about it.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
And the production/recording techniques were super cool

Agreed. Very atmospheric

And I've heard the Radiohead comparison drawn before but it doesn't resonate with me. Alt-j are in a class of one

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Agreed. Very atmospheric

And I've heard the Radiohead comparison drawn before but it doesn't resonate with me. Alt-j are in a class of one

I was referring only to the dynamic compression of the sound, not the music. I also much prefer Alt-J to Radiohead.

As far as better sound on modern rock, I guess it can depend on what's "modern", or "rock". In any case, Steven Wilson's last few albums have much better sound.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
great album - and great recording. Music better than the Cowboy Junkies :)

Not familiar with them. Should I check them out?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Okey dokey :)

In my filing system James Blake sits next to Alt J, then Ghost Poet

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing