MastersounD Evolution 845

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
As some may have seen, I recently was fortunate enough to become the US distributor for MastersounD. If you are unaware of their products, they specialize in SET and Parallel SET designs. Their work in this field has also led to them being OEM for several other brands over the years. During that time, they have also worked to refine their work to improve performance and maximize efficiency (including thermal heh).

The newest version of the Evolution 845 was recently released and was included in my initial batch of amplifiers. It is a Parallel SET 845 amplifier and packs a punch with 55 watts per channel. The sheer size of this thing is hard to get across in pictures since the 845 tube itself is such a large tube. All of the weight is in the back as it should be. When I opened up and peered into the box, I began moaning and exclaiming "ooooohhh man!". After a few grunts, the misses yelled from downstairs asking if I was OK. My response? 'Not yet'. This thing weighs in at 117 pounds and required a dollie to get it upstairs to my main listening room.

I've spent the past several days becoming more familiar with it and feel like I can say now that I am impressed. It is going through the normal break-in (as it should) but there are initial glimpses that make me smirk. One of those is the dead silent background. While I am not using high-efficiency speakers (not needed when you've got 55 watts), I have played with several 845 amplifiers and I cannot remember another being this quiet. As expected, the sheer power of the 845 is impressive and doubly so since the Evolution utilizes two of them per channel. Another key feature that puts a smile on my face is a design feature - the preamp section can be bypassed via a Direct connection, allowing you to utilize the integrated as a stand-alone amplifier.

It has been a few years since I've had SET in any of my setups. I can honestly say that it feels 'right' to have them back in the mix.

Evo 845 1.jpg Evo 845 2.jpg Evo 845 3.jpg Evo 845 4.jpg Evo 845 5.jpg

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
A great amp, I used to own one some years ago. Really stable and powerful. The only problem was the amount of heat it produces, at least in my room during the summertime. 4 x 845 tubes generate a lot of warmth :).

Good Luck.

JP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing