Grado Enters the Big Leagues

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Shipping to start next month.

From Grado Labs:

The Epoch ($12,000) and upcoming Aeon ($6000), which see final assembly by John Grado himself on his workbench, are two cartridges that offer exceptional reproduction of vocals and instruments, with superlative tonal balance, dynamics, imaging, and realism. Grado’s coil winding techniques, which have been honed throughout the decades, have let them achieve exact unison between the four coils in each phono cartridge. This allows for a precise balance between channels and accurate stereo imaging. Each Grado is wound with the finest properly sized and annealed 24-karat solid gold wire, which is the ultimate conductor for the transmission of the music from your record.

All of the internal magnetic circuit parts are Swiss screw machined or molded metal, which have tolerances on the order of the best Swiss-made watches. The specially designed diamond stylus, for the first time in a Grado, is mounted on a sapphire cantilever that connects to the stylus generating system. The Epoch and Aeon feature a unique system that has the lowest effective moving mass of any cartridge, while Grado’s patented Flux-Bridger generator design creates a superior balance throughout the full frequency spectrum with superb resolution and clarity, which produces an overall truer picture of the music. This is all nestled inside a cocobolo wooden housing.

rossb

May 24, 2017
Each Grado is wound with the finest properly sized and annealed 24-karat solid gold wire, which is the ultimate conductor for the transmission of the music from your record.

Why is gold the "ultimate conductor" for cartridges? As I understand it, it has a lower conductivity than copper or silver. A number of high end cartridges - including my VdH Black Beauty - seem to use gold wiring in the coils. I would be interested to know what the benefits of using gold are.

Reactions: Solypsa

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone auditioned this Epoch cartridge?

Last edited:

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Heard one recently on a Brrgmann Sindre & want one liquid mids & very, very musical sounding , problem don,t have $12,000

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
From what I've read the Aeon is supposed to provide 85 to 90% of the performance of the Epoch at half the price, but of course as audiophiles we crave every bit of the ultimate performance and will pay dearly for it.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Kuro 3 years ago did for trial a rca cable with gold 24 kt,his friend has a jewelry and gave gold to him to try.
He told me sound is incredible,much better than silver and copper,very natural and transparent.Big problem is the cost of gold,so he did Silver plated gold 24 kt,after this trial,because part of electrons run on surface of the cable,so on gold

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Kuro 3 years ago did for trial a rca cable with gold 24 kt,his friend has a jewelry and gave gold to him to try.
He told me sound is incredible,much better than silver and copper,very natural and transparent.Big problem is the cost of gold,so he did Silver plated gold 24 kt,after this trial,because part of electrons run on surface of the cable,so on gold
Thanks for the info, that's good to know.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
You just triggered my interest in this Epoch on another other thread.

Tang :)
I think you will like it, i love it :)
You can ask the reopener from this topic what he thinks about it ;)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone have and, if so, can you please post, Michael Fremer’s December 2017 review in Stereophile of the Epoch?

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Took me a while to figure out how to capture a copy ;), hope you find it interesting! :cool:

Attachments

• Grado Epoch - Stereophile.pdf
    593.5 KB · Views: 63

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very, very much, Bill!!! :D

I wasn’t being lazy when I posted the all points bulletin. I tried a couple of times and I just could not pull this review out of the internet ether.

Thank you for doing the work to make this available to all of us (who, liked me, tossed their paper copies of the December 2017 Stereophile).

Michael sure loved that cartridge! From what I heard at audioquattr, and from audioquattr’s subsequent reports, I think the Grado Epoch is super special!

I think we are going to be hearing a lot of data points to suggest that the Epoch is one of the cartridges at the state-of-the-art level, along with Opus 1 and VdH Master Signature and Goldfinger Statement, Atlas SL, etc.

And at 1mV output it takes a lot of noise pressure off all-tube phono stages!

We have to await more reporting from our Mr. Tang.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ddk is mounting it to his lightsaber SME with a special adapter. The Master Jedi can be the first infantry paving way to the unknown...hehe. I will try it on my other arms that need no adapter. I nolonger have the CH P1+X1, so I am a bit curious if it could match well with my JPA66 or ddk's LP1.

Tang :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Tang. Yes David will have to use The (analog) Force to accomplish this cartridge installation.
ZYX versus Opus 1

ZYX versus Epoch

Opus 1 versus Epoch

The galaxy awaits the answers . . .

(Maybe I should put a Grado Epoch on the Bergmann Odin instead of an Opus 1?)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have quite a few carts. I use the Opus1 as a benchmark measuring against all other carts. So it is a must have for me. However I listen to the Colibri most because it is the most lively, most drive and transparent of what I have. After reading Mr.Fremer's review, I have a feeling the Epoch is a more civilized, more refine version of Master Sig. May be the P1+X1 contribute to this refinement too. The same goes to the difference between the CH and EMT phono.

Audioquattr has both. He seems to like the Epoch more. The Colibri seems to tire him out after a while of listening. I wish he could try the EMT phono with the Colibri then he will pass out in five minutes from maximum overdrive...heheehe.

Tang :p

Reactions: jeff1225

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I have quite a few carts. I use the Opus1 as a benchmark measuring against all other carts. So it is a must have for me. However I listen to the Colibri most because it is the most lively, most drive and transparent of what I have. After reading Mr.Fremer's review, I have a feeling the Epoch is a more civilized, more refine version of Master Sig. May be the P1+X1 contribute to this refinement too. The same goes to the difference between the CH and EMT phono.

Audioquattr has both. He seems to like the Epoch more. The Colibri seems to tire him out after a while of listening. I wish he could try the EMT phono with the Colibri then he will pass out in five minutes from maximum overdrive...heheehe.

I think you're feeling is right :). And yes i prefer the Epoch, i like that cart very much.

.... I wish he could try the EMT phono with the Colibri then he will pass out in five minutes from maximum overdrive...heheehe.

I wish i could, but i don't know where i can listen/try one overhere.
A very good tube phono is high on my wishlist.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Hi Tang,
Have you allready tested the Grado?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing