Any experience with Audioquest Fire cables for phono or interconnect?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Was just wondering if any members have experience with the all-silver cables from Audioquest....

tdimler

Jul 4, 2016
TX
The all silver interconnects from AQ are superb. Detailed, smooth, great bass. You can go back to Niagara and get most of what Fire offers. Beyond Fire, you are only getting bigger air tubes for an exponential increase in price and I doubt you could tell the difference in sonics.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
The AQ Fire is awesome as a standard interconnect. Love mine. I've got two pairs (RCA and XLR) I've used in various line-level slots in my speaker and headphone rigs. It's got a better fleshed out low-end and better soundstage vs. the Wind (which I also liked a lot); to my ears the Fire is a perfectly balanced/neutral cable. Doesn't have an iota of the leanness/brightness/harshness you sometimes hear associated with silver. Not too warm either. Notably better than Sky -- smoother and more detailed, though I've only had the old gen 1 Sky. Doesn't have that slight midbass warmth/hump of the old Sky either. And it's very very close to my gen 1 Wild Blue Yonder XLR; I'm not even sure the Wild's better. There's no comparison to the lower-line or older AQ cables like the Colorado or older Cheetah; Fire is way better.

The one place I didn't have luck with Fire was when I placed the 1m RCA between a my Bob's Devices 1131 SUT and phono stage. This is a special slot that really requires a 0.5m or less of cable, and preferably of a smaller gauge; high-gain SUT's (40x in this case) are VERY sensitive to capacitance following them. The Fire still sounded good there, but clearly had some minor ringing issues up top. The 1m Sky was even worse there, and its mids turned to mud too. I replaced this with a special 0.5m run of WEL LP, which was a huge improvement (probably had more to do with its low capacitance).

I might need another 1.25m XLR run for my monoblocks soon, and I'll likely go with another Fire to save some cost vs. the Wild Blue.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thanks guys. Helpful. Mine should arrive soon.

The all silver interconnects from AQ are superb. Detailed, smooth, great bass. You can go back to Niagara and get most of what Fire offers. Beyond Fire, you are only getting bigger air tubes for an exponential increase in price and I doubt you could tell the difference in sonics.

The AQ Fire is awesome as a standard interconnect. Love mine. I've got two pairs (RCA and XLR) I've used in various line-level slots in my speaker and headphone rigs. It's got a better fleshed out low-end and better soundstage vs. the Wind (which I also liked a lot); to my ears the Fire is a perfectly balanced/neutral cable. Doesn't have an iota of the leanness/brightness/harshness you sometimes hear associated with silver. Not too warm either. Notably better than Sky -- smoother and more detailed, though I've only had the old gen 1 Sky. Doesn't have that slight midbass warmth/hump of the old Sky either. And it's very very close to my gen 1 Wild Blue Yonder XLR; I'm not even sure the Wild's better. There's no comparison to the lower-line or older AQ cables like the Colorado or older Cheetah; Fire is way better.

The one place I didn't have luck with Fire was when I placed the 1m RCA between a my Bob's Devices 1131 SUT and phono stage. This is a special slot that really requires a 0.5m or less of cable, and preferably of a smaller gauge; high-gain SUT's (40x in this case) are VERY sensitive to capacitance following them. The Fire still sounded good there, but clearly had some minor ringing issues up top. The 1m Sky was even worse there, and its mids turned to mud too. I replaced this with a special 0.5m run of WEL LP, which was a huge improvement (probably had more to do with its low capacitance).

I might need another 1.25m XLR run for my monoblocks soon, and I'll likely go with another Fire to save some cost vs. the Wild Blue.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Lee,

Did you ever get these Audioquest Fire cables?

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I used Fire when modding my preamp and subs. I replaced the stock wire in the preamp connecting the XLR inputs and outputs with the PCB with great results. Same thing with my subs. Highly recommended!

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
I used Fire when modding my preamp and subs. I replaced the stock wire in the preamp connecting the XLR inputs and outputs with the PCB with great results. Same thing with my subs. Highly recommended!

I use Fire between my Ayre KX-R Twenty and MX-R Twenties and it sounds amazing; when I went higher up in the AQ line to WBY or WEL the silver sounded too bright for me, Fire seemed to be the sweet spot adding a little more resolution than Wind.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I use Fire between my Ayre KX-R Twenty and MX-R Twenties and it sounds amazing; when I went higher up in the AQ line to WBY or WEL the silver sounded too bright for me, Fire seemed to be the sweet spot adding a little more resolution than Wind.

I agree, I went from Wireworld Platinum XLR to Fire between my Jeff Rowland 625 S2 and JR Corus preamp. I submit it's the sweet spot based on performance versus cost!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing