Fun comparison.....

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
We took in a pair of Wilson Alexandria X2's in trade and set them up literally, just for the experience. Have been listening back and forth between the X2's, Magico M3's, Goldmund Satya and Kaiser Kaweros over the last week.

I don't really have a favorite, each speaker has it's +'s/-s, but I could live with any one of these particular speakers, BUT it's a lot more fun to have all four of them to listen to:)

I find myself depending on my mood and what music I am playing choosing one or the other speaker to listen to. They are all connected simultaneously from the Aurender N10 and with several remote controls, you can just turn one system down and the other up.....it's quite intoxicating!

20170724_060915.jpg

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
We took in a pair of Wilson Alexandria X2's in trade and set them up literally, just for the experience. Have been listening back and forth between the X2's, Magico M3's, Goldmund Satya and Kaiser Kaweros over the last week.

I don't really have a favorite, each speaker has it's +'s/-s, but I could live with any one of these particular speakers, BUT it's a lot more fun to have all four of them to listen to:)

I find myself depending on my mood and what music I am playing choosing one or the other speaker to listen to. They are all connected simultaneously from the Aurender N10 and with several remote controls, you can just turn one system down and the other up.....it's quite intoxicating!

There are only a few problems:
1. The membranes of the other speakers may vibrate while one set of speakers is playing, diminishing the sound.
2. Forget about a proper soundstage.
3. Where each speakers stands in the room will affect its performance relative to the others.

So while it is probably real fun indeed, you'll never hear any of the speakers at full potential.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
There are only a few problems:
1. The membranes of the other speakers may vibrate while one set of speakers is playing, diminishing the sound.
2. Forget about a proper soundstage.
3. Where each speakers stands in the room will affect its performance relative to the others.

So while it is probably real fun indeed, you'll never hear any of the speakers at full potential.

Hi AL,

Come over and listen and then see what you think. I had each speaker set up separately with the other all removed. Listened to each speaker in it's optimal position. All sounded very good.

Then I arranged them as is and for this poor soul each system sounds very good and I don't think that again, this guy only, could not tell much if any of a difference of the overall sound. Everyone else's taste and sophistication is much greater than mine, I just like to have fun.

If I have a demo for one particular speaker I move the others out completely, BUT for me only, I would never do that as it's so much more fun listening to them all depending on mood and certain types of music.

To each his own, I could care less how "things are supposed to be", it's July in NYC and time for experimenting and having fun.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi AL,

Come over and listen and then see what you think. I had each speaker set up separately with the other all removed. Listened to each speaker in it's optimal position. All sounded very good.

Then I arranged them as is and for this poor soul each system sounds very good and I don't think that again, this guy only, could not tell much if any of a difference of the overall sound. Everyone else's taste and sophistication is much greater than mine, I just like to have fun.

If I have a demo for one particular speaker I move the others out completely, BUT for me only, I would never do that as it's so much more fun listening to them all depending on mood and certain types of music.

To each his own, I could care less how "things are supposed to be", it's July in NYC and time for experimenting and having fun.

Understand. Enjoy!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bob has a harem! :D

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob has a harem! :D

Hey Jack, Tito was just here the other day. Hope you come to the city for a visit to see both Tito and myself!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Fabulous set-up for an experiment! I'll be in ASAP to listen! (and will of course call ahead)
Marty

Looking forward to it Marty, you will get a kick out of it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fantastic. Need to plan a trip

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015

View attachment 34619

Seems to me, it would be better to have set them up so they are staggered, so that all the speakers are the same distance apart from each other.

In other words, if the Alexandria's are the correct distance apart for the room, there is little chance that the Kaiser Kaweros will be correct for the room (they seem to be too far apart), and the Goldman's will also not be correct (too close).

I'm sure they all sound good with regards to frequency response, dynamics, distortion, but it seems that at least one pair has to be compromised with regards to imaging and soundstage.

Just my 2 cents.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Seems to me, it would be better to have set them up so they are staggered, so that all the speakers are the same distance apart from each other.

In other words, if the Alexandria's are the correct distance apart for the room, there is little chance that the Kaiser Kaweros will be correct for the room (they seem to be too far apart), and the Goldman's will also not be correct (too close).

I'm sure they all sound good with regards to frequency response, dynamics, distortion, but it seems that at least one pair has to be compromised with regards to imaging and soundstage.

Just my 2 cents.

My room is different every single week. I have speakers/electronics coming and going. I did this set up last week. It probably will be entirely different a week or two from now.

I MUST have the speakers aligned in a row as behind them there is 200" drop down screen and then I have 10 other sets of speakers (Raidho, Magico, Kaiser, Ubiq) that I can set up right in front of the row of the four speakers shown. Without being in the room you really have no idea what would be the best overall solution to the puzzle.

You are NEVER going to be able to optimize this type of set-up. I'm just having fun with it. But honestly the only opinion that would mean anything to me is an opinion from someone that has actually heard the systems set up like this, then the input would mean something.

You might be surprised at how the systems sound as is. I worked for maybe 50 hours continuously switching speakers (800lb, 400lb, 325lb and 250lb) back and forth to find the place that each speaker liked knowing that of course nothing is optimized.

If I have someone in for say a Magico M3 demo and they are serious buyers, then the other speakers are moved out of the way and only the M3's are in place. The same with any of the other speakers.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I don't really have a favorite, each speaker has it's +'s/-s, but I could live with any one of these particular speakers...

That's the conclusion I've come to as well, while speakers from different manufacturers don't sound exactly the same the overall performance level seems to be converging.

I also have a couple sets of speakers I listen to... horn and direct radiator though.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
That's the conclusion I've come to as well, while speakers from different manufacturers don't sound exactly the same the overall performance level seems to be converging.

I also have a couple sets of speakers I listen to... horn and direct radiator though.

Hi Dave, I remember doing this in the early 80's. I had a pair of Maggies and a pair of Vandersteen 2C's next to each other and was amazed at how differently they presented the music. Ever since I have been selling speakers I have always liked to have a few sets set up so that I can switch back and forth. I just like it and it's very interesting to observe how the different speakers present the music.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Shall we ask a dealer what would happen if he could only keep one pair...which it would be? ;) you dont have to answer that...but if you had any listening notes, that sure would be interesting to get general impressions. Definitely a fun setup!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Shall we ask a dealer what would happen if he could only keep one pair...which it would be? ;) you dont have to answer that...but if you had any listening notes, that sure would be interesting to get general impressions. Definitely a fun setup!

Honestly I have no idea which one I would pick out of these four speakers. If I had to pick one pair, then I would be including about 10 other brands/models that I don't have here at my place.

I've worked really hard to get the four speakers here to a level that I could live and enjoy any one of them forever, with how they sound in their present positions. ALTHOUGH....after being able to switch back and forth with a hand motion on a remote with four different systems, has spoiled me. I don't think I would enjoy just one speaker vs. having a "herd" of speakers....I'm the same with guitars or cars or anything else for that matter. Variety really works for me. For someone else they would probably/maybe prefer just one good system. It's finding out what works for you vs. what other people think or say.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Fascinating photograph and I would love to switch between the options presented. Do your amps favor some of those speakers over others? I know the Wilsons are a fairly easy load. I don't know about the others.

Can you tell us which speaker you sold to get the Wilsons in on trade?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Fascinating photograph and I would love to switch between the options presented. Do your amps favor some of those speakers over others? I know the Wilsons are a fairly easy load. I don't know about the others.

Can you tell us which speaker you sold to get the Wilsons in on trade?

Hi Peter, It was Goldmund speakers. Not that they didn't love the Wilsons (they are great speakers) but the active Goldmund speakers were the right thing for this client at this time in their life. The sound is VERY good and everything is built in.....no boxes on the floor or stands etc. I have a several customers that are in this situation. They are just ready in their life for less clutter but still want great sound.

Good question on the amps/matching. I feel like the anti-Christ but I have fallen in love with the Devialet Expert Pro 1000 and 440. I like everything about them, the sound, the convenience, the internal dac's, the internal preamps and phono stage (with the right gain cartridge)....everything works for me. Any of the Devialet work great on either the M3's or the X2' as well as the Kaweros. The M3's, X2's and Kawers are all easy speakers to drive. I can actually drive any of them with the 32 watt Kondo Overture integrated. BUT when you give the 1000 watts of the Devialet all of the speakers respond and stand up to attention. You would have to hear it, then I think you would understand. Of course the Centaur or Vitus amps sound great as well.

I guess the simple answer is that these particular speakers are very easy to drive so it doesn't really matter what amp I drive them with, they all sound very nice and my criteria is "could I live with this speaker long term" and do I thoroughly get sucked into and enjoy listening to music through it. Once I get to that point which I have with each speaker I this set up, then I'm ready for the "next experiment":)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Honestly I have no idea which one I would pick out of these four speakers. If I had to pick one pair, then I would be including about 10 other brands/models that I don't have here at my place.

I've worked really hard to get the four speakers here to a level that I could live and enjoy any one of them forever, with how they sound in their present positions. ALTHOUGH....after being able to switch back and forth with a hand motion on a remote with four different systems, has spoiled me. I don't think I would enjoy just one speaker vs. having a "herd" of speakers....I'm the same with guitars or cars or anything else for that matter. Variety really works for me. For someone else they would probably/maybe prefer just one good system. It's finding out what works for you vs. what other people think or say.

Thanks for that...given that you have that many other speakers you could seriously consider, i suppose it is already saying something that you could live with any of these four long-term.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Thanks for that...given that you have that many other speakers you could seriously consider, i suppose it is already saying something that you could live with any of these four long-term.

Personally I think that there are so many AMAZING speakers available currently vs. anytime in the past. You could argue from both sides whether the sound has really become "better". There were several very musically enjoyable systems way back....but there were also some questionable offerings. Not that there always won't be "questionable" offerings, now I know that I could build a great system that I would enjoy around maybe 50 or even 100 different speakers out there. Give me a good room and a BUNCH or "room enhancements", excellent sources, and really with most of the speakers out there and I will figure out how to get it to my liking......maybe I'm just easy:) If someone can TOTALLY enjoy music and they get there on their phone, I love it. For a lot of people that's all they need and they can genuinely enjoy listening to music. Maybe different than audiophiles, but they might even enjoy music MORE than a lot of audiophiles.

I talk to some customers and I can tell all they need is a $2K system and they will be fine. I tell them to call Music Direct and tell them what to buy. They end up loving it. It's all they needed.

Anyway, I'm amazed at how many really great speakers that are available now......

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing