Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triplanar Owners - help please

Addicted to Best!

Triplanar Owners - help please

Dear All,

I am trying to install a VDH colibri XGW on my Triplanar (my existing cart if a Lyra Kleos which is fine). Now when I adjust the overhang, I see that the VDH needs to be set far back in the head shell because the cantilever extends forwards a lot. Anyway - it requires it to be so far back that the back of the cart actually sits on the lip of the arm not flush against the head shell causing this strange angle as below. Furthermore the left part of the cart touches the left part of the arm so I can't alter the orientation of the cart:

Name:  IMG_4602.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  1.60 MB

Does anyone have experience of Triplanar with VDH colibri and is there a solution? Or am I doing something wrong?

Hi Bill

You have effectively made the tonesrm longer and therefore its arc has changed if the Stylus is beyond tonearm

If you wish to use this cartridge

You can add spacers over the cartridge
    Or push the tonarm back on it current mounting position see below...

Please note as per Michael Fremer that the jig is incorrect on original triplanar and you need to go on the measurements as per spec sheet

It's about by about 4 to 5 mm

This might also be your problem?
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]

awsmone has a point here. Could it be your tonearm is off on alignment? that said, not all cartridges work on all tonearms.

you could also reach out to triplanar and see if Tri has any knowledge on your arm/table/cart combo.

I've used a Lyra Helicon, Skala and Atlas in a Triplanar. Lyra's make great matches...

TRI MAI
    3611 Snelling Avenue
    Minneapolis, MN 55406
    USA

612-623-0922
    tri@triplanar.com
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Pre & Amp: Nagra HD Pre & Amp
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus on sources, Opus Gen 5 Pre to amps & speaker
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

That just does not look right - cart is no longer than typical
    I use the mint lp protractor that is set up with spec dimension as awesome noted and cart sits well forward of headshell
    Cheers
    Phil

Addicted to Best!
    Hi Guys,

Thanks so much. I am using the Feickert protractor and actually checked the spindle to pivot distance as per Triplanar site which is 233.5mmm - this seems exactly as per my tt and arm set up, which is a Kuzma pre-drilled arm board. Remember it is fine with my Kleos...

I was also thinking the solution would be spacers - do you guys have any recommendations and will they be deleterious? I am effectively changing the headshell weight I guess?

I contacted Triplanar - received an email this morning from Tri saying to call him.

Best,

Bill

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjwd View Post
    That just does not look right - cart is no longer than typical
    I use the mint lp protractor that is set up with spec dimension as awesome noted and cart sits well forward of headshell
    Cheers
    Phil
    Hi,

This Colibri is a good deal longer than my Lyra - much longer in fact. It isn't the body so much but the protruding nature of the cantilever really adds to it.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    awsmone has a point here. Could it be your tonearm is off on alignment? that said, not all cartridges work on all tonearms.

you could also reach out to triplanar and see if Tri has any knowledge on your arm/table/cart combo.

I've used a Lyra Helicon, Skala and Atlas in a Triplanar. Lyra's make great matches...

TRI MAI
    3611 Snelling Avenue
    Minneapolis, MN 55406
    USA

612-623-0922
    tri@triplanar.com
    Yeah my first plan was to upgrade my Kleos to an Etna but the price of this Colibri is extremely attractive - exceptional used deal.

I also have a Colibri but cannot use with my Bergmann Sindre because cannot set far back like needed,and i sold

Addicted to Best!
    I can't use spacers either actually because the rear of the cart hits arm tube and would need like 0.75cm spacer:

Name:  IMG_4603.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  1.49 MB

As you can see I can't adjust the orientation according to the parallel lines at the null points because I can't rotate it...

You can change the effective length two ways

One is to use smaller bodied mounting screws which will give you about 4 mm of wiggle room

The other is to take the triplanar off

And underneath is a mounting screw that holds the base to the pillar for vta

This is very tight, but loosening it allows you to push back the pivot point to accommodate this cartridge

I think this might void the warranty so you need to check with Mai

This will then allow you to mount the cartridge

Good luck
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast