Why Vinyl's Boom is Over -- The Wall Street Journal (July 22, 2017)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
For those seeing vinyl a hipster fad they can use to impress their friends, sure. It's a fad... I don't see vinyl dying as a high quality audiophile source despite issues with new production of vinyl, but I can see a niche growing for higher quality pressings as there always has been. The pricing is going to be an issue for some though, the cost involved to get a vinyl setup that beats decent value-oriented digital in the $2-5k range + the cost of vinyl it's self is a bit excessive imo.

Article is behind paywall BTW...

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I agree with DaveC, old farts like me have been into analog for well over fifty years, why anybody would start today makes zero sense to me. Those that do, I'd bet 80% are out of it in less than 5 years, nothing but fad / ego trippers ..........

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Today's new vinyls:

“What people do nowadays is take a digital file and just run vinyl off that,” says Mr. Rawlings, a lanky musician who plays a 1935 Epiphone Olympic guitar.

In some of my local music stores the average price for a brand new CD is between $10 and $20 ($13-15 average).
In contrast a brand new LP's average price is between $25 and $45 ($30-35 average). And those are taken from digital files, and the turntables are of the cheap variety ones (plastic) and with the cartridges with loose screws and out-of-alignment by as much as 45°! And I kid you not. They are simply taking advantage of the low level customers.

* LPs are better in second-hand stores and the like, and for much less money.

I'm not saying that Tidal is best; if it suits some people the more power to them.
I don't encourage distortion, extortion, corruption, exploitation, abuse, greed and bad people running crooked businesses. Tidal is no angel in that department.
And Tidal doesn't come in analog vinyl.

Vinyl's boom over? No way, because there are billions of LPs out there from yesteryears that just need to be unearthed. Some people are willing to fight for them.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hi Ron. I do not subscribe to the WSJ, so I could not read the article but I would take the article's title with a big grain of salt. They go from complaints to loss of sales to the boom is over. Uh-huh. Apple, Samsung, Firestone and many other major corporations have had complaints followed by loss of sales and they are still thriving. Besides, I just read another article a couple of weeks ago that informed its readers that two new LP plants are being built or had just been built because they could not keep up with demand and to address quality concerns from other plants. FWIW

Tom

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I strongly disagree with several of you. If one isn't lazy you can hunt down decent used vinyl playback parts and make/modify a little. I think it costs way more to make digital sound good.

Its true that the qualtiy of vinyl can be... well eh. And even worse the local stores don't take returns on totally warped garbage, because distributors don't hold pressing plants liable for trash.

I doubt it is over. But the sad fact is basically only vintage pressings are worth a damn. There are occasionally some good new ones, but even many of the supposid high quality ones are mastered like crap, and not immune to coming with a warp.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Hi Ron. I do not subscribe to the WSJ, so I could not read the article but I would take the article's title with a big grain of salt. They go from complaints to loss of sales to the boom is over. Uh-huh. Apple, Samsung, Firestone and many other major corporations have had complaints followed by loss of sales and they are still thriving. Besides, I just read another article a couple of weeks ago that informed its readers that two new LP plants are being built or had just been built because they could not keep up with demand and to address quality concerns from other plants. FWIW

Tom

Right the WSJ simply reads "boom is over, time to sell investments in vinyl" not "vinyl is dead for sure, this time, all the other dozens of dead calls were false this one is not"

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Tom

Google the first line of the article and you will find copies of it elsewhere.

I gave up buying new vinyl some years ago - I found that when music interested me most of the time I would be buying digitally processed music. Most modern cutting facilities do not have tape machines with look ahead capabilities and must introduce digital delay lines in the path of signal before the cutting head.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I never realized I was enjoying the salad days of thrift vinyl shopping. I just thought that nobody wanted them but I did. That has pretty much dried up except for the old moldy mass produced vinyl horrors.

I still remember my student days wanting to buy records but not being able to afford but a couple. I thought success meant being able to go the movies and buy records whenever I wanted without worrying about the money. I loved the smell of the record shops in New Orleans, some kind of combo of incense, vinyl and cardboard with the records being played over horn speakers on the ceiling.

I managed to get about 2000 thrift records, anyway, during the hunting days but seldom even bother to look any more because everything is so picked over by young people.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Indeed, I don't bother to thrift really. The people willing to get up and be there at store opening, make friends with all the employees... they earned it, I'll just buy it at the record store they sold it to or on discogs. Besides 99% of collections worth more than toe nail clippings are sold to record stores, craigslist, auction, etc... the rarity of them going to thrift stores is pretty high anymore. Most people seem to understand some value and the internet helps when its so accesible to check.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Well I still want to resurrect my vinyl rig someday. I doubt this medium will lose favor,only if digital becomes better sonically and is accepted as such. I buy records mostly on eBay but mostly a certain type...no big deal.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Not only is digital hard to get good, even worse off the mastering, mixing, etc is **** these days... that's a major road block.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
If you haven't got a vinyl rig already and your goal is SOTA , I wouldn't consider vinyl. Digital is a far better buy and considering the trade offs involved it' a no brainer.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Eeesh! I did not realize the article was not open to all viewers!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
II think it costs way more to make digital sound good.

Seriously? How much does it cost in your view?

Not only is digital hard to get good, even worse off the mastering, mixing, etc is **** these days... that's a major road block.

Depends. Mixing and mastering in classical and jazz is mostly at least decent, and quite often good to excellent. Pop and rock, that's another story perhaps, even though you can get good sound there too.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa

again .........LOL, like vinyl doesn't suffer the same ?? to say carte blanche that analog trumps digital is ludicrous .......

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well for digital to be tolerable it starts with power conditioning. And that isn't easy since few are really worth much. Its complicated in that there are lots of compatibilty issues.

Next you need a DAC or CD player with a good one. The DAC can be fed by an Oppo or a slew of computer stuff, you're in for at least $500 no matter what. The DAC is tough, I can't think of anything under $2k worth much. Even then I don't have any good answer for something I recommemd off the top of my head besides high end MSB maybe. Many things need mods to really be worth it.

Vinyl you can get a table used for $400, do a little dampening, get a power conditioner like SurgeX, and lots of phono preamp options that sound pretty good at nearly any price. Results will be very nice if chosen wisely. Its cheap to do stuff like stacking some plywood or whatever, lots of ways to add mass etc.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
again .........LOL, like vinyl doesn't suffer the same ?? to say carte blanche that analog trumps digital is ludicrous .......

There are lots of bad masterings for vinyl, true. But the difference is there are often good ones of the same album. I rather enjoy finding the right pressings. Also I think a lot of vinyl albums are more appealing as they really do sound unique and offer more information, or at least a presentation of it.

No one is saying one trumps. But I think it is easier to get great sound with vinyl. And more than not more avaliabilty of nice masterings (even if you have to track thrm down, they exist). But vinyl has zero convenience factor, that is for sure, so I wouldn't ever pry someone to choose it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing