How does one get more Decay?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Personally, the best decay I have experienced is from an (omni-directional, all solid state) MBL system in a room with SMT diffusers and Helmholtz resonators...

Other than the "perfect room", how does one get more decay?
Thank you

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Personally, the best decay I have experienced is from an (omni-directional, all solid state) MBL system in a room with SMT diffusers and Helmholtz resonators...

Other than the "perfect room", how does one get more decay?
Thank you

ultimate note decay needs a few things.

first off; note decay and ambience retrieval are related. you figure one out and the other one comes along. since the note decay....'decays'....into the ambient room sound. which is why analog has an advantage with note decay since it more fundamentally 'loads' the room with the bed of ambience....maybe Quad dsd and dxd get pretty close to analog on this issue and blur the separation.

you need a room that is 'live' but tame. you need enough live surfaces to retain the musical energy, yet reflective glare has to be controlled so the glare does not obscure the decay.

no substitute for deep bass extension and amplification headroom and ease. authority in the amp-speaker relationship allows for linear bass and extends decay into ambience.

low noise floor/ high dynamic range.....that vividness and transparency in the signal path uncovers more decay and ambience.

obviously certain driver types do emphasize the holographic aspect of the music and the delicate decay and ambient information. but maybe they might lose out in terms of ultimate musical nuance, texture, tone or coherence. or maybe they require amplification that lacks ultimate subtlety. some choose tone and pace over low noise and transparency. to get all 4 is harder, but sometimes you choose which you want more. some view 'uber detail', 'low noise' and 'sound staging' as audiophile artifacts and desired but not essential. if you love gear which goes one direction or the other then enjoy.

there is no right and wrong.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Choose your gear, connections and speakers wisely.

Tom

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
you want a very quiet but not a dead room and implement bass control

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I've noticed getting older helps a lot.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
you need a room that is 'live' but tame. you need enough live surfaces to retain the musical energy, yet reflective glare has to be controlled so the glare does not obscure the decay.

there is no right and wrong.

The room has too large of a dependence on the speakers, I've heard great detail and soundstaging from Boulder Amplifier's very dead room and Focal Utopias. From what I was told this doesn't work well with other speakers like Wilsons. And it wouldn't work for most controlled directivity or horn speakers either because of the dispersion pattern.

There may be no right or wrong as far as personal preference but I'd argue if we're talking about getting the best resolution possible there are certainly rights and wrongs.

- - - - - - - - - -

I'd also mention that electronics and cables are key, especially interconnect cables. I've tested many highly regarded interconnects that smooth out fine detail and massively truncate the decay of notes and reverb. IME most systems perform poorly in this regard as results depend on many things that can't be measured. Having built my entire system minus source, every part choice matters. Some resistors will smooth things out too much, some caps add grain that will hide fine detail, sources of noise in the system will hide fine detail, etc... Ultimately all these tiny choices add up to a system that is capable of performing far beyond average. Some often think we're crazy because we listen for minor differences but what most seem to not understand is there's a million choices to make and the cumulative effect of all of them is what really matters. It makes the difference between a system that draws you in and makes you want to listen all night vs a system that feels like work to listen to.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Introducing more RF to heighten the volume of the decay may give the perception. There's plenty of that found in popular products here. But another big issue is speakers are prone to being over dampened, which can fight it, especially with too much dampening (feedback) from the amplifier - whether the speaker is over dampened or not.

In general I think a lot of people prefer more of it than is possible with real instruments. Maybe they believe they get more of it in person, but had a few beers first. There are certainly instruments like piano that can lay a note out forever, but not everything resonates so long. Either way it sounds enjoyable to us, so I can see a desire to get more.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I think it was the RE Steve Hoffman that did a experiment on decay with a analog vs a digital recording and the digital truncated the note more than the analog recording. My answer would be to increase the signal purity of the playback system. No reason digital can't do as well.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think it was the RE Steve Hoffman that did a experiment on decay with a analog vs a digital recording and the digital truncated the note more than the analog recording. My answer would be to increase the signal purity of the playback system. No reason digital can't do as well.

Certainly not. If it were low distortion then the issue would have been solved.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Certainly not. If it were low distortion then the issue would have been solved.

Certainly,your digital experience is not the same as mine. Don't feel bad though you've got a lot of company including Steve Hoffman whole is overrated. When RE's like Tom Fine move to digital,I take notice.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
You can also stop flossing and going to the dentist for a cleaning.

Does anyone have a sense of humor on this forum?

Guess not.

Very sad IMO.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Certainly,your digital experience is not the same as mine. Don't feel bad though you've got a lot of company including Steve Hoffman whole is overrated. When RE's like Tom Fine move to digital,I take notice.

I meant just the purity comment, should have deleted the rest because now I have no idea what is being talked about.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

Guess not.

Very sad IMO.

It's hard to keep track of one's humor with all of the troll 'questions'. :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Also, turn up the volume! :)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Guess not.

Very sad IMO.

Well clearly the humour could be somewhat in decay... PS I did love your first comment dude, decay can be something of an ageing audiophile issue.

I figure there can also be too much decay when the old tunes need some livening up.

As a young n wild and dancin at raves dude since they began way back in the 80s for me attack and decay in good measure is the right balance. Don't want to make that music too decayed... sometimes the music should make you want to get up and get your groove on as well.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There's always composting Dude :p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing