New Xp-12 Line Stage and Xp-17 Phono stage

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Will be interesting to find upcoming owner impressions of these soon.

And new, expected, versions of the Xp-20 and Xp-25 later this year.

Better, or just different? Like the point 5 Vs point 8?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
They have both already been on display in Munich.

IMG_6924_Pass-XP-12_XP-17.jpg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Will be interesting to find upcoming owner impressions of these soon.

And new, expected, versions of the Xp-20 and Xp-25 later this year.

Better, or just different? Like the point 5 Vs point 8?

Yes, it seems an XP-22 and XP-27 will follow and that they are still selling the 10 and 15. Lower noise is always a good thing and this is what the Pass info promises. Better or different is an interesting question. The XP20 and 30 are different IMO. I heard and preferred a slightly more neutral tonal balance with the 20 in my system compared to the 30. The 30 sounded richer and fuller, but a bit too much with my XA160.5 amps. I also preferred the XA160.5 amps in my system to the XA160.8. However, I preferred the .8 during a direct comparison in a friend's system with different speakers, cables and gear.

Though I have not done this direct comparison, I did here both of these combinations in my system a couple of years apart. I suspect these are the combinations that I would prefer in my system: The XP20/XA160.5 or the XP30/XA160.8. The XP20/.8 was too dry and the XP30/.5 was too ripe.

These new preamps and phono stages must be the trickle down from the XS Pre and Phono. I'll be curious about the pricing and whether or not it makes sense for existing owners of the 20/25 to upgrade.

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Per the Reno Hi-Fi site - XP-12 $5800 - XP-17 $4300

Also from the Pass Labs site the XP-12 frequency response is down 3dB at 100kHz like the X1.

The XP-20 and XP-30 is down 3dB at 60kHz which may suggest less fine harmonic detail on LP playback Vs X1 IMO.

Mark at Reno Hi-Fi told me he felt the X1 has slightly better fine detail than the XP-20, but the XP-20 was warmer.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing