Some Important News From Steve and Ron

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Dear Members,

We want to let you know in advance that we have decided to contact high-end manufacturers, whose products we use ourselves and believe in, to subscribe for banner advertisements on the WBF website. The small revenue from these ads will allow us to defray the costs of attending audio shows and of operating WBF. Also, we hope this will allow us to avoid asking for periodic donations via the "donate" tab.

We are on the site many hours a day, and we, personally, do not want to wade through a blizzard of ads anymore than you do. We are going to be circumspect about the number of ads we sell and the quality of the companies who advertise.

Please do not hesitate to post or to ask us privately any questions you may have. Thank you in advance for your understanding. We intend to roll out these banner ads slowly over the next few weeks and will continue going forward.

With warmest regards,

Steve and Ron

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Dear Members,

We want to let you know in advance that we have decided to contact high-end manufacturers, whose products we use ourselves and believe in, to subscribe for banner advertisements on the WBF website. The small revenue from these ads will allow us to defray the costs of attending audio shows and of operating WBF. Also, we hope this will allow us to avoid asking for periodic donations via the "donate" tab.

We are on the site many hours a day, and we, personally, do not want to wade through a blizzard of ads anymore than you do. We are going to be circumspect about the number of ads we sell and the quality of the companies who advertise.

Please do not hesitate to post or to ask us privately any questions you may have. Thank you in advance for your understanding. We intend to roll out these banner ads slowly over the next few weeks and will continue going forward.

With warmest regards,

Steve and Ron

Good idea and maybe even long overdo. I know you needed some level of critical mass to interest the audio companies and I'm sure, by now, that must have occurred.

FWIW, "the in advance" part didn't work as I already see this ad:

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 1.41.17 PM.jpg

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I always thought a banner would be appropriate. Although I might have put it at they very top. Either way I'd require a little better resolution than the current one.

Steve Williams

I always thought a banner would be appropriate. Although I might have put it at they very top. Either way I'd require a little better resolution than the current one.

We'd have wanted a few things as well but as we learned along the way vBulletin app clearly defines banner size and resolution for each size a well as where each size can appear. It's not a perfect world.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Nice to see Kevin Hayes Valve Amplification Company represented here. Great idea.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I was thinking a rotation every so many seconds, for one banner space. On my phone its a bit of a scroll each time.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Is it possible to distribute them so that there are not multiples together at the top of the page? What if you get more? Content is pushed off the page.

+1 ... From the Club at the Ivy , it suddenly looks like Vegas ! .

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I'm cool with the idea of a banner, but multiples together I'd hate to see the site become like 6moons. A rotating banner at the top, OK. I just visited and see 4 of them together, too much IMHO.

Steve Williams

the size of the ad and location is determined by its position

There will be no more ads in the foreseeable future on the home page as we agree with everyones concerns. There will be no content pushed off the page. It is as you see it.

We are trying to work a fix for the ads which are on the home page as being seen on every page. This is what is called a global ad which, if shown on the home page will be seen elsewhere. We are working hopefully on a work around for this issue so please try to bear with us

Steve Williams

I'm cool with the idea of a banner, but multiples together I'd hate to see the site become like 6moons. A rotating banner at the top, OK. I just visited and see 4 of them together, too much IMHO.
well Bob

This again is the way you will see it but it will never be like 6 moons

We discussed the reasons why we are going with the banner ads with one big reason to defray the costs of running the site and being able to cover the shows for everyone

If you feel strongly Bob, we have had a Donate Button up for several years that we were hoping members would help us defray the costs discussed but this has proved essentially worthless as only a handful of members have donated

So once again guys, banner ads will be here. As we find a fix we will implement it but we are limited by what the app allows us to do and where to do it. I hope you understand but as we stand this is an essential boost to Ron and I to help off set expenses

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
well Bob

This again is the way you will see it but it will never be like 6 moons

We discussed the reasons why we are going with the banner ads with one big reason to defray the costs of running the site and being able to cover the shows for everyone

If you feel strongly Bob, we have had a Donate Button up for several years that we were hoping members would help us defray the costs discussed but this has proved essentially worthless as only a handful of members have donated

So once again guys, banner ads will be here. As we find a fix we will implement it but we are limited by what the app allows us to do and where to do it. I hope you understand but as we stand this is an essential boost to Ron and I to help off set expenses

I think it is a good thing as stated by Steve....as time goes by I think most will find it acceptable,it does serve a good purpose.IMHO

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's funny you say that Steve, I was wondering when you'd post a "please donate" topic. I have overlooked the button countless times.

Steve Williams

I think it is a good thing as stated by Steve....as time goes by I think most will find it acceptable,it does serve a good purpose.IMHO

Thank you Roger

If you read again the OP to this thread everyone will understand the intent by Ron and I

We have no intent to have our site look like 6 moons or Mono and Stereo etc

However the reality is Ron and I have spent months trying to make the use of banner ads here at WBF never appear like those other sites.

Once again to those who are sounding negative, we tried the "donate"button which has been up for years but as stated a mere handful of our over 9300 members sought fit to donate.

We hope you understand

As we go forward ads will be seen in the appropriate subforms

Steve Williams

It's funny you say that Steve, I was wondering when you'd post a "please donate" topic. I have overlooked the button countless times.

It's been at the top of the home page for the past 3 years

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I understand and agree, adding some ad revenue makes sense. Since I mostly visit using my iPad, with four banners at the top all I see is ads on my screen besides the main site header at the very top. I have to scroll down before content appears, e.g. 'New posts' which is why I commented regarding how many banners are shown. I expect user experience will be different on my desktop with a large monitor.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Argh.....another forum devolves to bannered....understand the economic driver....but.....

Useful to give an alternate....as with many Apps...an option to eliminate adds with donations/paywall would be welcome

Steve Williams

Argh.....another forum devolves to bannered....understand the economic driver....but.....

Useful to give an alternate....as with many Apps...an option to eliminate adds with donations/paywall would be welcome

That option has been available for 3 years. It's at the top of every page. Thanks but now you understand our plight. Do you think this should all be free and ownership cover the costs ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing