Anyone hear Balabo gear?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Harley of TAS had an editorial on Balabo recently calling it truth + beauty in one. His colleague, Valin, on the other hand wrote of it as the most "exquisitely beautiful sounding gear ever". (He likes Soulution gear for the "truth".) The preamp is $60K and the amp is $78K. Are these guys onto something, or have they been sniffing glue? Anyone here experience this stuff?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I believe Valin called them "dark" and "hi-fi real" - see the review. To me, there are major inconsistencies - yet again - in what TAS claims. It has become a really bad magazine; anyone notice how skinny Hi-Fi+ has become?

Excerpt: "The BAlabo’s midrange is a thing of utter beauty—so sweet, so finely detailed, so rich and fully articulated, so much like the real thing (heard close by). It is also fast, startlingly dynamic in impact (snapped strings or pounded piano chords or rim shots will astonish you), and, yes and for all its virtues, definitely on the dark side. "

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
and for all its virtues, definitely on the dark side... For a paltry $138K one can't expect much..

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I've listened to Balabo equipment for quite a period of time in the recent past. They are big, heavy, have a lot of parts in them, and never ever sounded offensive to me.

The power amp sounds like an improved Forsell Statement amplifier. Dark, sweet, just plain easy to listen to. For my own tastes, the top three power amps today would be the FM Acoustic 1811, Lamm ML 3 and Balabo.

The line stage is the most complex of its kind that I have come across. When I lifted the top cover, the complexity of the volume control alone is a sight to marvel at. This component very naturally brings forth the beauty of a performance. There is simply more body, more bloom and more reach into the listening area when this component is inserted. Just for the heck of it, I once set up a chain composed of the Spectral cd player, the Balabo line stage, the 47 lab gaincard, and the Magico V3 speakers. The sound was so un-fatiguing I listened until the shop had to close.

When one puts together the line stage and the power amp, to get the best sound, one has to use one of three grounding cables that runs from the linestage to the power amp that Balabo offers. One will have to experiment on these three grounding cables as they significantly alter the sonics. The best combination of cabling that I have heard for the Balabos are MIT Oracle interconnects between the line stage and the power amp; and, Sensory Power speaker cables between the power amp and the speakers.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I remember the power amp was 75 thousand. I can't recall the MSRP of the line stage exactly, but I think it was in the 55 to 65 thousand range.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As mullard88 pointed out, it comes with a removable hard top ;)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
so someone had a BALABO linestage paired with V3 speakers?

seems odd---the V3 costs 1/3 of the linestage lol....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sound Chamber in HK has all these goodies in-stock and on display. You can listen to practically any combination in that store as Mullard88 does.

I know of no one that actually privately owns that combo though.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Curious if there are any current owners of the BALabo amps and preamp?
Can you shed some light on your experiences ,in terms of sound, reliability ,and joy of usage?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing