Audio Research Reference 3 VS LS 27 Preamplifiers

Secretariat

VIP/Donor
Feb 28, 2017
Philippines
Has anyone out there ever had any experiences with both the Audio Research Reference 3 and LS 27 preamplifiers? If yes, how do they compare to each other? Which do you feel is the better sounding preamplifier? And why? The reason for me asking is because I am debating which to get between the two of them and the problem is I won't be able to do a side by side comparison between the AR Reference 3 and LS 27 preamplifiers as I shall be getting either of them second hand and the 2 different owners who are selling them live quite far from each other. For your information, I live here in the Philippines.
Thanks in advance.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
reference is always better.
the only downside is that it costs more.
it's like mercedes s-class vs c-class.
if you can, stretch for 5se.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
+1 to analog brother's suggestion . Stretch your budget and get the 5SE . A preowned 5SE is available from our local ARC dealer get in touch w/ him. Maybe he has LS27 , REF 3 as well you can audition all 3 . Call him 02 840 4095

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
It all depends on your system as a whole, is the ref above the LS27 (which I own and love) ....yes. But if it's well down the chain on your 'weakest link' the only thing you enhance is your ego and bragging rights on the forums !

kinda reminds me of the clowns that spend stupid $$ on cables to address room / acoustic anomalies ...........

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Good advice here imho. I made the move from Ref3 to Ref 5SE and it was a big jump in sound quality although the Ref3 is excellent.

+1 to analog brother's suggestion . Stretch your budget and get the 5SE . A preowned 5SE is available from our local ARC dealer get in touch w/ him. Maybe he has LS27 , REF 3 as well you can audition all 3 . Call him 02 840 4095

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing