Thread: Audio Research Reference 3 VS LS 27 Preamplifiers

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]

Audio Research Reference 3 VS LS 27 Preamplifiers

Has anyone out there ever had any experiences with both the Audio Research Reference 3 and LS 27 preamplifiers? If yes, how do they compare to each other? Which do you feel is the better sounding preamplifier? And why? The reason for me asking is because I am debating which to get between the two of them and the problem is I won't be able to do a side by side comparison between the AR Reference 3 and LS 27 preamplifiers as I shall be getting either of them second hand and the 2 different owners who are selling them live quite far from each other. For your information, I live here in the Philippines.
    Thanks in advance.

reference is always better.
    the only downside is that it costs more.
    it's like mercedes s-class vs c-class.
    if you can, stretch for 5se.

Addicted to Best!
    +1 to analog brother's suggestion . Stretch your budget and get the 5SE . A preowned 5SE is available from our local ARC dealer get in touch w/ him. Maybe he has LS27 , REF 3 as well you can audition all 3 . Call him 02 840 4095
    VPI TNT 6 w/ Classic Platter upgrade, Kuzma Stogi REF 313 VTA, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, VPI HR-X ,JMW12.7 ,Lyra Kleos, ARC REF 5SE, REF Phono 2SE, REF 610T monoblocks, ARC SP 10MK2, a pair of D79B's, Duntech C5000 speakers, Magnepan MG3A Speakers.

It all depends on your system as a whole, is the ref above the LS27 (which I own and love) ....yes. But if it's well down the chain on your 'weakest link' the only thing you enhance is your ego and bragging rights on the forums !

kinda reminds me of the clowns that spend stupid $$ on cables to address room / acoustic anomalies ...........
    Cheers - Dave

Good advice here imho. I made the move from Ref3 to Ref 5SE and it was a big jump in sound quality although the Ref3 is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by tdh888 View Post
    +1 to analog brother's suggestion . Stretch your budget and get the 5SE . A preowned 5SE is available from our local ARC dealer get in touch w/ him. Maybe he has LS27 , REF 3 as well you can audition all 3 . Call him 02 840 4095
    Writer, Part-Time Audiophile

Sources PS Audio Memory Player and DirectStream DAC, VPI Scoutmaster, Lyra Cartridge, Audio Research Ref Phono 2 Amplification Audio Research Ref 5SE & Audio Research VT100 with KT120s/Mundorf EVO Speakers: Magnepan 1.7s Cables Synergistic Research Galileo and Atmosphere UEF Level 4 Power Conditioning Synergistic PowerCell 12 UEF SE, SR & Furutech NCF outlets, various SR and Shunyata ac cables, Shunyata Denali Recording AKG 414 BULS mics, Sound Devices 722