Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *NEW* Folsom Lillies

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Well, here things are different. In case of fire having an electrical origin an insurance company expert will probably point to it, even if it is clear that the device is not related to it. The electrical company will not approve the distribution board if they find such device.
    It's not so cut and dried here in the US... If the device is simple, only a few parts, and the parts are all UL certified it's probably fine. But at a certain point the entire device needs to be UL approved even if it's made up of all UL approved parts. I ran into this designing a multi-zone lighting controller for a local business some years ago. A mechanical design had too many parts to be approved but replacing the various parts with a single PLC (programmable logic controller) that controlled a bunch of switches was approved as the system now only had 3 parts, PLC, switches and fuses, it was deemed simple enough not to need UL approval. But it's the local inspector's call...
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Well, here things are different. In case of fire having an electrical origin an insurance company expert will probably point to it, even if it is clear that the device is not related to it. The electrical company will not approve the distribution board if they find such device.

Can I ask what is the safety function for failure, or is it a proprietary trade secret?
    In general distributors may not accept non-UL/CE rated devices. That is one reason you see some repetition in brands online from websites.

Normal operations with this device would be classified as low voltage, which often even in distributed parts doesn't need/get certifications.

I can't cover what's inside them. But I can tell you that they can easily take 1kv pulsing in normal operation. Full failure is way beyond that. In the invent of extreme, repeated, voltages you'd probably have lot more to worry about than devices that have impregnated fire stopping material in all the parts.
    Last edited by Folsom; 07-20-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    Industry Affiliation: Folsom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12