Anybody own MBL 101 X-Treme speakers? How big is your room?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Yes since September. I was looking for a new speaker. It was a toss between 101X and G3. I went to G3 dealer to listen to G3. The setup of G3 was very bad. I don’t trust the G3 dealer to setup properly in my room and I lack the skill and experience to setup G3. I then decided to go for 101X.

Congrats!!!!

(Feel free to share more :) )

Reactions: Pokey77

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
Why in the back of the room, out of curiosity? If it were me, I would get some room treatment pieces I can move around, and attack the wall behind the speakers first.
The windows are relatively firm and I can drop down shades that are a diffusive nature. Bottom line is I want Jeremy to give me tips on what goes up front and generally he prefers less treatment in the front of the room.

The back of the room is the sources of slap echo and the living space needs some absorption to make conversations comfortable in the room. The first thing Jurgen recommends is make the room comfortable for people speaking as a starting point for a room. In my large room I have a gymnasium type phenomena right now that needs to be tamed to make it comfortable

Reactions: Sunra and caesar

caesar

May 30, 2010
The windows are relatively firm and I can drop down shades that are a diffusive nature. Bottom line is I want Jeremy to give me tips on what goes up front and generally he prefers less treatment in the front of the room.

The back of the room is the sources of slap echo and the living space needs some absorption to make conversations comfortable in the room. The first thing Jurgen recommends is make the room comfortable for people speaking as a starting point for a room. In my large room I have a gymnasium type phenomena right now that needs to be tamed to make it comfortable

Yes, Been there: I have heard so many rooms with guys spending a few hundred K on audio jewels that sounds just as you describe. Good Luck!

Reactions: Minnesotafats

Sunra

Jul 16, 2018
I did the initial set up with 3 movers and Jeremy coaching from the Internet. I currently have a variety of temporary absorbers placed in the back wall of the room. Jeremy will come to do the setup on my request. I want to wait until I get the rest of my system set up before he arrives.
Engaging movers to do the heavy lifting with Jeremy coaching from afar, smart cookie FATS!

caesar

May 30, 2010

Hey Minnesotafats,
As I have been thinking about this, you must have the patience of Job! :)

Experts, even as incredibly talented and dedicated as Jeremy - based in his amazingly consistent work at getting “best of show” sound every time he exhibits, cannot predict what will sound good.

If it were me, and I perfectly understand that this seems like a shared living space and your situation is different than mine, I’d run out to Home Depot and get 10-15 bales of insulation.

You can move the insulation around to prep for his visit to determine what will be more natural…. It may not be perfect, but will definitely reduce the echo chamber phenomenon in the mean while.

All the best

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
Hey Minnesotafats,
As I have been thinking about this, you must have the patience of Job! :)

Experts, even as incredibly talented and dedicated as Jeremy - based in his amazingly consistent work at getting “best of show” sound every time he exhibits, cannot predict what will sound good.

If it were me, and I perfectly understand that this seems like a shared living space and your situation is different than mine, I’d run out to Home Depot and get 10-15 bales of insulation.

You can move the insulation around to prep for his visit to determine what will be more natural…. It may not be perfect, but will definitely reduce the echo chamber phenomenon in the mean while.

All the best
I am with you. I have 12 different - 2 inch thick 2ft x 4 ft black absorption panels that we are currently scattering around the back part of the room. My significant other lives at the location while she is taking care of her parents down the street and I am out of town most of the time taking care of my mother in a different city. If I was at the location I probably would not be as patient. I have coached her on the slap echo issue and she has been experimenting moving the absorbers all around the room. She now misses them when we put them away when company arrives. So the long story is I have a woman that now understands we need need more absorption and diffusion in the room. She has even gone to the point of filling up designed shelving in the kitchen with blankets and pillows to have more absorption. We are thinking of creative ways to elegantly absorb sound. For example....the lighting can be an absorbing sources in the kitchen and dining area.

https://lightart.com/products/families/acoustic

Her son is an aspiring artist and he just took some classic looking frames and filled them with absorbing materials. the blank looking art surrounded by a classic frame actually looks nice on the wall.

Maybe we should start a thread with architecturally and design friendly absorbers, diffusers, and other types of treatments.

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Maybe we should start a thread with architecturally and design friendly absorbers, diffusers, and other types of treatments.

Massive industry on the corporate scale. ;)

One imagines the impact would be tolerable for those short bouts music is playing. Until the room can be dealt with professionally for that purpose. I suspect a slight amount of modification for one and both purposes will be more acceptable than the alternative. What I'm thinking of is discrete enough to allow decorating at avoidance of blankets or blank art.

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
Massive industry on the corporate scale. ;)

One imagines the impact would be tolerable for those short bouts music is playing. Until the room can be dealt with professionally for that purpose. I suspect a slight amount of modification for one and both purposes will be more acceptable than the alternative. What I'm thinking of is discrete enough to allow decorating at avoidance of blankets or blank art.
There are a variety of companies that put prints on absorbers. Some have decent absorption for trebles and mids which is my biggest concern. Looking at pictures from the local historical society to put up black and white photos from the past.

Reactions: adyc and rando

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am with you. I have 12 different - 2 inch thick 2ft x 4 ft black absorption panels that we are currently scattering around the back part of the room. My significant other lives at the location while she is taking care of her parents down the street and I am out of town most of the time taking care of my mother in a different city. If I was at the location I probably would not be as patient. I have coached her on the slap echo issue and she has been experimenting moving the absorbers all around the room. She now misses them when we put them away when company arrives. So the long story is I have a woman that now understands we need need more absorption and diffusion in the room. She has even gone to the point of filling up designed shelving in the kitchen with blankets and pillows to have more absorption. We are thinking of creative ways to elegantly absorb sound. For example....the lighting can be an absorbing sources in the kitchen and dining area.

https://lightart.com/products/families/acoustic

Her son is an aspiring artist and he just took some classic looking frames and filled them with absorbing materials. the blank looking art surrounded by a classic frame actually looks nice on the wall.

Wow! What an understanding woman. You are a lucky man!

Good Luck

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
Interestingly, here's a picture of an MBL setup from the florida audio show: https://www.stereophile.com/content/mbl-and-new-cadenza-c41-network-player

The whole front wall seems to be covered with room treatments
Take a closer look. It is highly unlikely that those black sheets are absorbers. The black sheets are probably there to highlight the white speakers and white amplifiers. MBL uses plants as a backdrop to add some diffusion in the corners and between the speakers. The plants between the speakers are more props than audio treatments. I would not bet on Jeremy adding any real absorption on the front wall.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing